Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here done SCCA touring racing with an Ion? Given the limited modifications allowed most of the set up seems very strait forward but I do have some questions.

1: I've read that that the griffin radiator isn't available any more, is this true and if so any used ones around?
2: Any body caged an Ion? I'm having a custom one put in this winter but any pictures will be helpful.
3: Weight reduction looks to be a tricky one, I'm very limited in what I can remove, but even my low option car is nearly 100lbs over weight with out even adding the cage (spare out when placed on scales). So does any body know how much the front seat weighs? How about the AC system and the stereo? Drivers airbag?

If there is anything I've forgoten let me know, I'm trying to spunge up as much info as I can!

The rules can be found here http://cms.scca.com/documents/Club Rules/09 GCR/TCS.pdf

And yes I know, my rear sway will be an Auto-X only item.

·
Registered
651 Posts
IIRC someone here removed their entire AC system from their Ion and it weighed somewhere around 75 or 80 lbs for all of it.

·
Premium Member
12,221 Posts
The recaro seats are pretty damn heavy too, at least the fronts are. I have removed most of the sound dampening, that stuff adds up too. There are 2 pretty big pieces inside the fenders on top of the splash shields, the gooey stuff on the top of the strut mounts, and a bunch of dynamat type of stick on stuff on the floor pan. I also removed the carpet padding, and some more insulation from under the back seats. Probably around 30-40 pounds right there for all that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, guess I'll start with the AC, airbags and driver's seat and then scale it after the cage install.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts