Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Yes. That's common in RL's. Someone said there is a TSB out on that.

Don't let the dealer tell you that it's OK because they all do that. :rolleyes:

I need to take mine in for that as well.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
gettin new rotors here this summer. they get to pick up the tab for that.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
kazkillinger said:
what exactly are the signs of of this??? cause sometimes i hear grinding when i brake and the steering wheel sakes.......
I just noticed my steering wheel shaking the other day when I was braking. I guess I'll have to add it to the "ASK THE DEALER" list for this friday.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I've got some nice groves in my fronts as well. On my list of things to get looked at next oil change. I have never seen rotors get this bad so quick. Is this something that I can get fixed under warrenty. I mean 7000 miles on the brakes is ridiculous. I'll have to take pics.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hey I've noticed sometimes after hard braking my back left seems to make this weird noise. Its pretty loud and it gets faster as the car goes. but if I get out and kick the back driver side tire a few times it goes away. Could this be the rotors TSB you guys are talking about.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i never heard of a TSB for them, but it's been acknowledged as a common problem. GM cheap steel for the rotors. they resurfaced mine under warranty, and said to let them know if it's still a problem. nothing wrong with brakes according to them...

i'll just end up buying upgraded rotors when they're on their last limb if warranty won't cover

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you look at the rotors off the car, they are very poorly ventilated. Every other slot down the center is solid, perhaps to increase mass. I'm not sure. Also I've heard theories that the chrome finish on the wheels prevents them from absorbing as much heat off the rotors than a non chrome finish would. Eventually I'm planning on running ductwork from the openings on the front fascia to help with cooling. If I ever get time to design it so it looks nice.

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
SWCRedline said:
If you look at the rotors off the car, they are very poorly ventilated. Every other slot down the center is solid, perhaps to increase mass. I'm not sure. Also I've heard theories that the chrome finish on the wheels prevents them from absorbing as much heat off the rotors than a non chrome finish would. Eventually I'm planning on running ductwork from the openings on the front fascia to help with cooling. If I ever get time to design it so it looks nice.
Ummm, the wheels are aluminum and polished. Not chrome.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
and aluminum isn't exactly known for it's heat resistant properties...

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
JPK said:
Yes. That's common in RL's. Someone said there is a TSB out on that.
AFAIK there is no bulletin addressing premature rotor wear, and I doubt there will ever be unless a serious metalurgy issue is identified. (I dont see that)
GM regards brake wear as "normal wear and tear" and are often reluctant to address "friction surface issues" under warranty. Used to see similar early wear in the Firebirds and Camaros and it was "Dont drive so fast and brake so late and hard" :(
JMO
WOT

1 - 20 of 24 Posts