Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my Service Vehicle light came on today....no not check engine light. Im not sure why but don't really have time to take it in the car seems to be running fine though.

Any guesses on what it might be?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
There's way too many things that it could be to start guessing. Only gone off before because of a pinched hose to one of the sensors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Mine does it once a week or so when I go to start it. It wont crank and will display the "Service Vehicle Soon" text in the display. I turn the key to off and try again, and it fires up like normal. Weird, maybe i don't have the clutch pushed in all the way or somthing, is it like that?
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Has anyone looked in the manual to see what it means? I'm assuming so...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
There is a module that is in the steering column that is bad. I had that problem a few times and the dealer finally fixed it. My dealer said he had seen the same situation on a few other IONs. It only took them 30 minutes to fix it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
actually who knows what it is? because chances of it being the same module are slim but not impossible. it all depends on the code and so on. it could be a wheel speed sensor goin bad or opened up. nobody will know until it gets checked out.

Unknownsuperhero your car wouldn't even crank if your clutch wasn't dperessed. its different if you are getting a no crank no start condition but from the sounds of it you need a new cam sensor. THAT is a common problem with the LSJ engine. if you had the cam sensor seal done the tech that did the repair may have not aligned the sensor correctly or the sensor itself has started to go bad.

But as for the "SVS" light Redline14 is correct. SES and SVS lights are different SES only illuminates when the emmisions outputs from your car reach 1.5 times the federal limit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
unknownsuperhero said:
Mine does it once a week or so when I go to start it. It wont crank and will display the "Service Vehicle Soon" text in the display. I turn the key to off and try again, and it fires up like normal. Weird, maybe i don't have the clutch pushed in all the way or somthing, is it like that?
Mine did that and it wasnt the clutch switch. Eventually it happened every time I started it. I noted the problem when I took it in for the cam position sensor recall. They didn't replace the iginition switch, but they did replace the PCM. Don't know if they blew the PCM or it was just bad - they were kind of cagy about why I needed a new one. In the end they noted "unable to simulate/no codes" on the invoice for the start problem. But when the service mgr. called to say it wouldn't be done that day he told me they couldn't start it and had to push it in the shop. Maybe the tech just blew my PCM trying to read codes and they were lost.

The problem seems to have dissappeared except for one incident when I had turned the key on without starting the car to play the stereo - no service light though. There are too many posts about quirky behavior. I really wish we had complete design requirements for this software. Perhaps the software/PCM detected some fault and intentionally caused the no-crank to force us to notice the service light. Or maybe the service light is just coming on because it detected multiple no-crank starts. Without having access to original software code, developers, or detailed documentation we can only speculate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I got home I turned the car off then restarted it and the light went away....the picture with the car and lock on it did light up also though. I drove about 50 miles today with the light never coming back on. I have 9xxxx miles on the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,233 Posts
RicanSpeed said:
There's way too many things that it could be to start guessing.
I totally agree with this statement. Essentially ANY DTC in ANY module, that is NOT emissions related- can command the "Service Vehicle Soon" message on the DIC. If it returns you will either have to use a suitable scan tool to to get the DTC or take it into your friendly neighborhood Saturn Service Dept. :D
Regards
WopOnTour
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
WopOnTour said:
I totally agree with this statement. Essentially ANY DTC in ANY module, that is NOT emissions related- can command the "Service Vehicle Soon" message on the DIC. If it returns you will either have to use a suitable scan tool to to get the DTC or take it into your friendly neighborhood Saturn Service Dept. :D
Regards
WopOnTour

I had the service manager drive mine for 3 days trying to recreate this problem (no crank no start), he could not get it to happen again so I took my car back since then it has not happened again, but they said that nothing was fixed. They also said that it was not storing a code when it did this.

-Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,233 Posts
2004redline said:
I had the service manager drive mine for 3 days trying to recreate this problem (no crank no start), he could not get it to happen again so I took my car back since then it has not happened again, but they said that nothing was fixed. They also said that it was not storing a code when it did this.

-Matt
Assuming that's true (No DTC in memory after the SVS lamp was ON)
Sounds like either an IPC issue or a network circuit problem to me. Was your radio or other body electrical functions inoperative with the IGN ON during this period by any chance?
WOT

BTW> The "regular" IONs are famous for this NO START condition, immediately following a dead or disconnected battery. You go in with the TECH2 (with CANdi), clear the DTCs from the ECM- and she starts right up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
WopOnTour said:
Assuming that's true (No DTC in memory after the SVS lamp was ON)
Sounds like either an IPC issue or a network circuit problem to me. Was your radio or other body electrical functions inoperative with the IGN ON during this period by any chance?
WOT

Nope everthing worked just wouldnt start or crank. I actually had it happen about 3 months ago at 6 in the morn and had to call my girl to get me from work. They replaced the ignition swith that time. This last time nothing.

-Matt
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top