Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering about the guys that removed the lower air box when performing the mod got a ses light after? I searched around but found nobody knowing what codes where set just that the light came on. I have two codes. One is mass airflow currect voltage high and a mass air flow system performance. Any help would be great. Thanks Bill

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
did you just remove the airbox, or did you also remove the top (moving the maf to the intake tube?)

i've only removed the airbox, and the PCM calibration fixed my code (bank 1 lean)

if you've removed the whole thing and have re-located the MAF to the intake tube, then you may have to adjust the position of the MAF so it gets a correct reading

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hmmm, I had a SES light when I finished mine, but it was for losing memory or something like that. I disconnected the chassis ground wire that runs over the airbox to the dr. side fender area, and unplugged the three harness connectors above the airbox. I did that so I could get my airbox out in 1 pc.w/out having to drain/refill coolant.
The way I did mine leaves the MAF in stock location/housing though, so hopefully someone that did it the way you did will know more.

Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
01SS05RL said:
Hmmm, I had a SES light when I finished mine, but it was for losing memory or something like that. I disconnected the chassis ground wire that runs over the airbox to the dr. side fender area, and unplugged the three harness connectors above the airbox. I did that so I could get my airbox out in 1 pc.w/out having to drain/refill coolant.
The way I did mine leaves the MAF in stock location/housing though, so hopefully someone that did it the way you did will know more.

Good Luck! :)
finally someone that decided not to chop up the airbox! welcome to the club.

also, you should search for the airbox mod, this issue has previously been adressed, and you'll likely find any info that you'll need in the other threads

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed the lower air box and all the duct work then reused the lid. So the mass airflow is still in stock location with the filter under it. I cleared codes a few minutes ago then test drove within the second pull the light is back on. I don't know?

·
Registered
80 Posts
SaturnGuy said:
I removed the lower air box and all the duct work then reused the lid. So the mass airflow is still in stock location with the filter under it. I cleared codes a few minutes ago then test drove within the second pull the light is back on. I don't know?
OK, gotcha now, thought you relocated the maf. Is it possible you may have damaged the little diodes in there? It don't take much. look closely at the diodes, if one of them broke, or was damaged you would prob. get codes like that. May have even just gotten them dirty. You can clean them with a q-tip
and electronics cleaner, or similar.
*DISCLAIMER* Just throwing ideas out, not responsible for stupidity/irrelevance :D )

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
make sure to use an intake safe cleaner, please

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
01SS05RL said:
*DISCLAIMER* Just throwing ideas out, not responsible for stupidity/irrelevance :D )
Now that's funny. But I can see how that would apply to some though.

I already took out the mass airflow and double checked it and looks good. I am going to change the filter and see. I'm using a AEM fitler that was a left over from one of the Ion kits I sold to a body shop that only needed the pipe. It's gotta be something simple if others are running this setup with no lights. Thanks Guys

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
SaturnGuy said:
Now that's funny. But I can see how that would apply to some though.

I already took out the mass airflow and double checked it and looks good. I am going to change the filter and see. I'm using a AEM fitler that was a left over from one of the Ion kits I sold to a body shop that only needed the pipe. It's gotta be something simple if others are running this setup with no lights. Thanks Guys
The most common complaint I saw, after doing this mod, was the MAF being not quite aligned. I haven't done it myself, but several people said that the had the MAF just a little bit crooked.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the new filter seems to have taken care of the ses light. Drove about 60 miles last night and to work this morning and no light. I guess there is a flow issue with the AEM filter. Tanks Guys for your input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts