Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

101 - 120 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
there's so much more involved in making your car handle fast than there is to making your car go fast in a straight line. AND the courses are often different , giving you the added challenge of having to learn and dissect them each time. glad to see you guys having fun! i'm a little jealous.

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
it was pretty awesome! my first 3 runs i cut about 2 seconds off each time. then the second session was running more consistant and was starting to be able to "feel" where i messed up, and how messing up ONE turn just a little bit screws you up for the next 2 turns lol. i NEED different tires though. they were not happy with me by the end of the day.

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
it was pretty awesome! my first 3 runs i cut about 2 seconds off each time. then the second session was running more consistant and was starting to be able to "feel" where i messed up, and how messing up ONE turn just a little bit screws you up for the next 2 turns lol. i NEED different tires though. they were not happy with me by the end of the day.
Almost everyone (at least those that compete and run regularly) on street tires was running and/or recommending RE-11's or Star Specs. A few guys were still on older Azenis. Leaning toward the Star Specs myself when the funds come together.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
star specs are cheaper, but they're directional.

directional tires, we should all know, are side-specific, meaning once they're mounted, a left tire is a left tire unless you dismount them from the rim and swap sides. you can only rotate them front to back and back to front.

this means that if you often run courses that are mostly right turns or courses that are mostly left turns then you'll have uneven wear side-to-side.

an asymmetric tire like the azenis or the re-11 can be rotated normally, so you can compensate for any strange wear.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Today went well! I was put into a novice class but also SM. Based on 30 novices and PAX scores I ranked 5th place, but had the 2nd fastest single lap time! I def. need a Powell rear sway bar next.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
If I posted pics of my tire wear, you'd cry to know what's in your future, LMAO. A 2nd set of tires SAVES you money once you're really hooked.

Re pics on page 10 - in the background, a VW Corrado G60?! Wow - haven't seen one of those in a HOT minute, lol. Fun cars.

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
yeah i bet his rear tires last forever seeing as the inside one was NEVER on the ground lol

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Grats Shroogis!!!

I was at 40 psi even on the Exclaims and my wear marks were probably a
half inch further out on the sidewall than yours...yours too don't look bad IMO. Of course my leaking passenger front strut probably didn't help. My event was about 45 degrees ambient and cloudy 1st day and I was oversteering bad to compensate for lack of grip.

Good news, old car sold today so new struts/shocks in my near future!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
tire pressures should be way higher than 40 for Solo...

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The R1's sidewall is WAy stiffer than most or any street tire, and the wider the tire the less pressure needed to obtain the same result (more surface area).

I run my 245/40 R1's at 46 front and 38 rear on asphalt, 48/40 on grippier concrete. And that's with -2.5* front camber...

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Hot. First run slightly lower to allow them heat up faster, then bleed them to that pressure as they heat up. Although sometimes I'll just set them there and bleed a little all day. Played with different pressures for months before landing on those numbers. Sometimes run slightly lower in the rear if I want more grip back there, slightly higher for easier oversteer. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Until you get a 2nd set of wheels with dedicated race tires (and you will, muhahaha), yes, you absolutely should.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Okay I'll rotate them ASAP. I wish our platform could be competitive in SM but that's not too realistic, huh.
Competitive at what level? Locally, I suppose it depends on who else is running and how big the region is...The basic handling characteristics of our cars and the amount of power we can put down for the money are actually both pretty good. However, without LSD (at least for me), full coilovers, R-comps, etc...I think you're still fighting uphill.

National, no way unless you've got serious dough...From what I've been told, most of the SM cars at Nationals are trailered in and are basically purpose-built race cars.

You could always pull everything off that improves boost and compete in stock:mofo: I know, me either:)

101 - 120 of 146 Posts