Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
psh. nate you and i both beat scoobs saturday. and you had 2nd fastest rookie time sunday! since the FW region has the SMS class, i think we can be fairly competitive locally. rear bar, tires, and more seat time and you'll be beating that gsr!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Locally you could do very well with a properly outfitted RL, though without LSD it would be much harder. Still, Ionick05 has an open diff car with Progress springs and bar, CSS/T shocks all around, smaller pulley with a questionable tune, intake, and 225/45 R1's on stock rims and holds his own very well. A better modded car could do quite well.

Nationally - The EF, EG, and EF Civic's and old 'teggy's will always reign supreme. At those levels everyone is making sick power and can get their weight into a reasonable place, but all else being equal, they have double wishbone suspension and everyone else doesn't. That's a helluva tiebreaker right there, lol.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well I wouldn't mind doing well locally, but we have a huge chapter with tons of SM cars that are very fast.

My setup includes an LSD, SS/TC shocks and struts, progress springs, moog endlinks, DZ101's and soon to be rear sway bar...oh, and a 2.8 / 60's setup with all cooling mods and full exhaust.

I could use some better tires eventually.

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
what would be your recommendation on tires GC? preferrably staying under 500 for the whole set..

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Take-offs. Used race rubber. I ran on those for my first 5 seasons. 235 or 245 40/17 is a bit harder to find, 225/45/17 is easier. You can get a set of 4 with 70+% rubber remaining for under $500 shipped.

Anything else will be a compromise and while ANY dedicated set of tires will help, if you're in Stock or SM, it's R-comps or go home.

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
does the DOT rating make them a street tire by scca rules? or how does that work exactly..

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #129

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yeah hopefully GC or big brother can chime in. I'll need to kno if they are "street tire" before I attempt to get them because I'd like to stay in the Fort Wayne regions SMS class

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Those are R-comps as Big Brother is recommending...NOT street tires...

Let me sum up - GC is a Goodyear F1 DS3 fanboi, BigBrother says sidewall is too soft for autocross and likes the Nankangs for cheapos.

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
well in the description of the tires drox posted it says they won the scca street tire class... and they have the same DOT rating as the ones shroogis posted. so..... street tire legal?

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
don't know. i am wholly unfamiliar with scca classification rules. i only participate in the occasional track day as a novice and i run my street setup.

to me, it's more for practicing things that could be applied to the street, like picking the right line through a curve or knowing what to do at (or a little beyond) the limits of traction. i'm not trying to compete with anyone.

and i'm a fan of the gs-d3 because it suits my STREET needs the best. the main highway here is often covered in places with over half an inch of standing water if it rains hard enough, with puddles that reach halfway out into the lane and can drag you right into the jersey barrier before you have a chance to react. the gs-d3 gives that extra wet performance that i need on the street. i was also able to snag them on ebay for something like half retail.

i agree that the gs-d3 is not your best choice for ultimate cornering performance in the dry and generally clean conditions of the track. it's up to you to find that tire that suits your purposes and your wallet the best. i will happily help recommend tires based on what i have read on tire rack and what i have seen as a mechanic if you're willing to share what your priorities are when selecting a tire.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Locally I'll be competing in my chapters SMS (street modified street tire) class, so I'll need something that fits that requirement.

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts
as cheap as the nankangs are, they might be worth a shot lol. 4 for 260? daannnngg

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
SCCA rules dictate ALL tires have a DOT rating so people aren't running true "slicks" although you can see the tires that Nate posted have no real tread pattern to speak of....

I'm also pretty sure that there is a MINIMUM treadwear rating as well but don't recall what that is off the top of my head. Maybe that's what is used to determine street vs. race tire since r-comp referes to race compound.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
don't know. i am wholly unfamiliar with scca classification rules. i only participate in the occasional track day as a novice and i run my street setup.

to me, it's more for practicing things that could be applied to the street, like picking the right line through a curve or knowing what to do at (or a little beyond) the limits of traction. i'm not trying to compete with anyone.

and i'm a fan of the gs-d3 because it suits my STREET needs the best. the main highway here is often covered in places with over half an inch of standing water if it rains hard enough, with puddles that reach halfway out into the lane and can drag you right into the jersey barrier before you have a chance to react. the gs-d3 gives that extra wet performance that i need on the street. i was also able to snag them on ebay for something like half retail.

i agree that the gs-d3 is not your best choice for ultimate cornering performance in the dry and generally clean conditions of the track. it's up to you to find that tire that suits your purposes and your wallet the best. i will happily help recommend tires based on what i have read on tire rack and what i have seen as a mechanic if you're willing to share what your priorities are when selecting a tire.
just giving you a little shit man, agree that they seem to be a very good street tire for the price:) Can't thank you enough for all of the insight and feedback in this thread for us newbs:)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Droxity, sorry if we are threadjacking, but this has kind of turned into the Autox newb thread...but here's a few pics of Sundays event :)

If you want I can start a new thread so we aren't mucking yours up :)

121 - 140 of 146 Posts