Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
does anyone know the size of the shifter bushings, as well as where to look for them? i assume we don't have any type of solid bushings, and also assume that a solid bushing would "smooth" out our slightly notchy shifting.

if anyone can let me know where they are, i want to start to look for replacements, or to have some made...

ANY help is good help here,

thanks,

Tom

edit: also, is this the type of thing we'd want machined aluminum, or some type of polyurethane for? reason i ask is that i can probably get a good deal on getting aluminum ones CNC machined for us, but i'd need to have a set to take up and get an estimate for them.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Check some of the Saab stuff, I bet there's some bushings out there...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sp00ner said:
Check some of the Saab stuff, I bet there's some bushings out there...
that's what i'm doing...

but if i can get them made cheap, it might be a good alternative

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
couldn't really find anything for the saabs with f35

nobody can tell me where to look? what about preferred materials? i found a couple site that list machined aluminum, and would really like to know if that's a good idea considering how solid they'd be? would they be durable? i'm guessing they'd be really cheap considering the size, but i don't know much about this. thanks again,

Tom

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I don't know much about swapping them, I would think that you'd want some sort of cushion on them, aluminum seems awful solid for something like that...

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Have you tried contacting places like Hyperflex directly?

·
Registered
683 Posts
If it is anything like the SRT-4, modern performance had "booger bushings" they were selling that was basically a hard(er) polyurethane(sp?). Those things made a HUGE diference, you could feel it *click* into gear. I am sure pretty soon they are going to start fabing stuff for our cars. I bought their MPx under drive pully (for the SRT) and it was a real quality product. I look forward to anything they can throw our way.
I have to pop this thing apart and see how resistance is applied, it may be just as simple (i hope).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bushings

I have been searching endlessly for shifter bushings as well as steering bushings ever since my friend and I swapped his factory ones for harder polyerthane ones in his STI. It made a huge difference. Our problem is probably going to be cost unless we can find someone to make them and get a group buy. I could be wrong but alluminum does seem a bit too hard for this application..but then who am I? I'm just guessing

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
What was the price on the STI ones, since a new shifter is about $160... how close is it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The shifter bushings were $32.00 plus shipping from Kartboy.com for the STI. The steering bushings were $48.00 (shipped) from whiteline. (for the STI)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Honestly, I have no idea what you guys are talking about but if you need something CNCed let me know some size info and materials. I have a shop in the family and I don't pay for labour. Of course, if there were a bunch I'm sure I would have to at least pay cost...their too busy to do it for free.

If someone can shed some light on what this is it would be great. I know nothing about trannies. (both types) ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
unknownsuperhero said:
If it is anything like the SRT-4, modern performance had "booger bushings" they were selling that was basically a hard(er) polyurethane(sp?). Those things made a HUGE diference, you could feel it *click* into gear. I am sure pretty soon they are going to start fabing stuff for our cars. I bought their MPx under drive pully (for the SRT) and it was a real quality product. I look forward to anything they can throw our way.
I have to pop this thing apart and see how resistance is applied, it may be just as simple (i hope).
I just saw Vita's post, and his private message that he sent to us regarding these.
We can definitely have these made, Id just like to see what the original ones are like first, and see if they are compatible with the regular Ion, or Cobalts.

I would definitely recommend against aluminum though, as aluminum doesnt flex whatsoever, and will cause the shift linkages to stretch, and or break over time. A nice urethane bushing will still flex a little bit, therefore putting less stress onto the shift cables.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Do these still apply with an aftermarket shifter, or do those typically come with new ones or something?

·
Registered
69 Posts
You could make them out of Delrin (Acetal Co-polymer), or even Delrin AF (teflon impregnated) for that matter. Close to the strength of Al, will still flex a bit, easy to machine. I use the stuff all the time for bushings and things in very nasty environments.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Celticshadow said:
You could make them out of Delrin (Acetal Co-polymer), or even Delrin AF for that matter. Close to the strength of Al, will still flex a bit, easy to machine. I use the stuff all the time for bushings and things in very nasty environments.
Yes... that... of course! :confused:

Can you translate a little for me? Just a type of 'plastic' or something?

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sp00ner said:
Do these still apply with an aftermarket shifter, or do those typically come with new ones or something?
i would think it's just the shifter assembly as there's still bushings in the bay by the tranny, but i'm not sure where to look for them.

if the B&M comes with new shifter bushings it's a hell of a deal

1 - 20 of 21 Posts