Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, time to show my amateur nature here. 1st manual car and I can shift her damn well....BUT I'd like to know the best way to launch this thing from the start. I know I've heard "Don't go over 2k before dropping it" but even at 1500 I'm burning the tires. I'm guessing you experienced folks have some ideas as to how I can better improve my start.

On a side note it was enjoyable seeing a nice looking lady next to me in her Grand Prix GTP think that her half a car head start would let her beat me and get in my lane. Let 'er rip and by 45 I was side by side and ahead of her. She came in the lane, moved into the turn lane and I blew a kiss as she just looked at me and turned.....Life is good.

Side note....Kiss was sarcastic in case the lady reads this ;)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Well, I've had my Red Line since May of 04 and I STILL have trouble trying to find the sweet spot for getting a flawless launch. One thing I WILL recommend is not to run it too high up the RPM range. I've heard about Clutch pieces going everywhere with hard launches. The other funny thing is that the earlier 04s have a different feel to their clutch than the 05s. I think I'd personally rather have no wheel spin/wheel hop than to get the wheel spin and wind up the RPM range too quick. Which begs the question, is it better to get the wheel spin and let the engine spool up faster or is it better to get the good traction initially and allow the engine spool up with the tires making good contact?

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
TXRLU said:
Well, I've had my Red Line since May of 04 and I STILL have trouble trying to find the sweet spot for getting a flawless launch. One thing I WILL recommend is not to run it too high up the RPM range. I've heard about Clutch pieces going everywhere with hard launches. The other funny thing is that the earlier 04s have a different feel to their clutch than the 05s. I think I'd personally rather have no wheel spin/wheel hop than to get the wheel spin and wind up the RPM range too quick. Which begs the question, is it better to get the wheel spin and let the engine spool up faster or is it better to get the good traction initially and allow the engine spool up with the tires making good contact?
I would have to say having the engine "spool up slower" and having the traction, becuase what good does any amount of boost do if the tires just keep spinning. Going 40MPH and not moving is definately not as good as going 35 and actually having the car progress forwards.

And for Cynic, I would just reccommend not trying to launch this thing until you've had it for a while and are pretty used to the feel of the car as a whole. You might think you have it down now, but there are going to be things you don't even notice that are gonna mess with you and the car and that is always a bad thing, espcially when you don't know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dude I am brand new at this stuff, but I can get a decient launch by just keeping my rpms at 0, let the clutch out just to the point where you can feel it starting to catch. Then just wait for green, gas it an take of the clutch. I'll probably get shut down on that one but I tool out civics all the time with that start. Its kinda cool cuz my car starts moving and then a pack of power catchs and you just fly.

I'm green as hell but this is just what I find to get off fast

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had the car for about a year now, I just wanted to know if there was a definitive way to shift this at start that would increase the launch. Feels like I lose traction a lot. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
220 Posts
I use the same method as I did with my S-Series... which gave me gobs more wheel hop than the Redline ever has. Actually I can't remember one instance where I got anything more than very minor wheel hop. Of course the warmer temperatures outside help promote spinning over hopping. Anyway, my launch style is similar to kenni's above. I let the clutch out to the point where it starts to grab... then I hold the handbrake in place... keeping button in and bring the RPMS up between 1500-2000. The car will try to creep away.. just gotta really hold the handbrake firm... I drop handbrake when the second yellow shuts off.. staging as shallow as possible. Once im moving I can feed it throttle through first gear... if you mash the pedal in first... it will break loose.. once im in second its full throttle all the way... I've even found it possible to power shift without upsetting the car too much. I consistently get RT's under .050 using this method.... and 60' in the 2.2 range.. I feel 2.1 is possible bone stock if the launch is nailed perfectly... actually i hit 2.1 once but missed 3rd gear.. still ran 14.3 so it will definately run lower than that stock on a perfect run. Sorry if tis turned into a ramble.. just wanted to share what works for me.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I always hear people say to keep the RPM's low, but I get my best launches when I feather the clutch at about 3-4000RPM's. I never just dump the clutch because you will always get a bad launch.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Those that are racing, I have a question concerning your shifting.

At what point are you shifting into second, and when you do, do you feel the clutch slip? I am haing an issue on the street, where under hard accelration and shifting into second nearing 5000rpm, I feel the clutch slip. RPM goes up, but the car is bot going. I have to let the motor slow down before itr will grab again.

Thanks, Kirt

·
Registered
272 Posts
around 2800 rpms...feather it...then just wot rip through the gears and hear the supercharger whine.... :D ...

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Kirtsky said:
Those that are racing, I have a question concerning your shifting.

At what point are you shifting into second, and when you do, do you feel the clutch slip? I am haing an issue on the street, where under hard accelration and shifting into second nearing 5000rpm, I feel the clutch slip. RPM goes up, but the car is bot going. I have to let the motor slow down before itr will grab again.

Thanks, Kirt
I shift at the redline, no I don't feel the clutch slip unless I give it too much gas going into the next gear and let the clutch out too slow at the same time.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Honestly, for me, I feel the thing shifts smoother when you wind it to the redline than when you're shifting like a grandma for fuel economy. Every day I go through town at 25 and it chokes when I shift into 2nd, but as soon as I hit the 55 mph road, and click off a 1-2 shift at the redline, I don't get any slip, just steady acceleration. Getting 7700 miles on the car to get used to it helps.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sp00ner said:
I shift at the redline, no I don't feel the clutch slip unless I give it too much gas going into the next gear and let the clutch out too slow at the same time.
Same here!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hmmmmmm

This probably is a stupid question, but anyways here goes. How do you power/speed shift a RedLine? I have watched videos of Redlines at the track and I can't detect any clutch used when shifting through the gears. Do you actually shift without using the clutch, or use the clutch and shift quickly? I can't see shifting without the clutch without doing transmission damage.

So my question is......how to shift through the gears without lagging between shifts?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
snowguy said:
Hmmmmmm

This probably is a stupid question, but anyways here goes. How do you power/speed shift a RedLine? I have watched videos of Redlines at the track and I can't detect any clutch used when shifting through the gears. Do you actually shift without using the clutch, or use the clutch and shift quickly? I can't see shifting without the clutch without doing transmission damage.

So my question is......how to shift through the gears without lagging between shifts?

Thanks
Do it fast... That's how I do it... Let it get to about 6300 rpm then just push the clutch in, throw the shifter down and pray that you don't slip off the clutch pedal...

·
Registered
610 Posts
practice practice practice. Don't try to shift to quickly at first, cuz you'll miss the shift, and (worst case scenario) boom. Get used to where the clutch catches at, get used to how the shifter falls into each gear. Then practice doing it quicker during daily driving at lower rpms, so if you miss a shift you wont hurt anything. You'll be lightning quick in no time.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
wow this is an old thread....

·
Registered
619 Posts
i dont take my foot all the way out of the gas. obviously i dont keep it pinned but with as quick as i shift, taking my foot all the way out of the throttle gives me way too much lag between shifts

1 - 18 of 18 Posts