Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
March 22nd, 2005

www.GMInsidenews.com

Source: Undisclosed


Saturn SKY Redline:



6 months after the production of the Saturn SKY, GM will introduce a Saturn SKY Redline, which will be powered by a turbocharged 253HP 2.0L Ecotec engine. Can you say Miata eater?

so what I am wondering is what this could mean for the future engines in the ION redline. That turbo engine sure would be nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
that info has not been confirmed as of yet, and we don't even know where the info came from. not to say it wouldn't be a great engine to put into the SKY, or the RL for that matter, but it's unlikely that it is reliable information to go off of. only time will tell, as there isn't even a gaurantee that we'll see a higher powered Solstice of SKY as of yet, and GM has pulled back funding to their performance division recently (also unconfirmed to me) so we may never see them, and if sales are poor, the RL could cease to exist as well, while the cobalt will likely live on full force, at least until the sport compact fad is worn out (which is unlikely to happen as it's only getting more competitive)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
Katiemarie said:
Screw future engines...I'm wondering if we can use that turbo in the ones we already have. :D
patience is a virtue, we'll be starting to see some twin-charging kits come to market within the next year or so. i'm betting on being able to install one over the winter (i hope) for next seasons track openings (still haven't gone yet though)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Vita said:
patience is a virtue, we'll be starting to see some twin-charging kits come to market within the next year or so. i'm betting on being able to install one over the winter (i hope) for next seasons track openings (still haven't gone yet though)

Yeah, but I'm not sure I even WANT to twincharge it. I'm leaning towards taking the blower off and swaping it for a turbo. Twincharging it would be extremely inefficiant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
Katiemarie said:
Yeah, but I'm not sure I even WANT to twincharge it. I'm leaning towards taking the blower off and swaping it for a turbo. Twincharging it would be extremely inefficiant.

all too true! i like the coolness factor and driveability of having a twincharge setup, but it really is inefficient at the core as you get the backpressure of the turbo which eliminates the greatness of supercharging (no backpressure nescessary) and the drain of the supercharger on the system as a whole. i've thought of going turbo, but i'm going to wait for the twincharging setups to show up because it's original, for now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Katiemarie said:
Yeah, but I'm not sure I even WANT to twincharge it. I'm leaning towards taking the blower off and swaping it for a turbo. Twincharging it would be extremely inefficiant.
Thats more where I was going with this post anyways. From day 1 of getting my redline I have always had an idea that I would like to get a turbo on it instead of the supercharger. I am also still waiting for someone to swap a twin screw onto this thing.

Also I am hearing tons of second hand info about the solstice/sky and they all keep whispering about the turbocharged ecotec. They all even seem to agree on the HP (250 ish)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
im not too sure but twin charging is the same as putting just a turbo on it...only the blower eliminates some of the turbo lag?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
617 Posts
Twincharging is WAY efficient. You will have the smoothest power curve with the Supercharger and Turbo working hand in hand. I've taken a ride in the Psi-Fi Twin-charged Mini Cooper and it's fast as hell!! Power is ALWAYS there... no turbo lag.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
yeah twin charging is where it is at! i bet you could race alot of dumb fucks who would think you just had a turbo and not even see or recognize the sound of the blower...aka hilarious when you smoke him with out pre spooling when they toast the clutch on their wrx or evo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
clownhair said:
so what I am wondering is what this could mean for the future engines in the ION redline. That turbo engine sure would be nice.

nothing, as the ion is gone after 06 model year anyways, GM won;t waste further developement time on the delta chasis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haunter said:
nothing, as the ion is gone after 06 model year anyways, GM won;t waste further developement time on the delta chasis.
Wont the Cobalt still remain in development? It uses the same chasis currently are they planning a switch? Basically what I want to get down to is if the parts could be used to make our IONS a turbo only car. Whether the parts come from the ion or a future cobalt.

Also a well designed turbo system is far superior to a twin charge system. You never see serious drag cars using a blower and a turbo, most wont stick with a nice single turbo. People who talk about turbo lag make me luagh. My ION feels like it has more lag than any turbocharged car I have owned. It has to build boost with the rpms so were not really getting that jolt of full power till far later in the rpm range. Most turbos will be making a couple psi prior to making full boost as well. Difference is most will make the boost at ~3000 rpms as opposed to 4500 or whatever it takes our cars to get.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
clownhair said:
Wont the Cobalt still remain in development? It uses the same chasis currently are they planning a switch? Basically what I want to get down to is if the parts could be used to make our IONS a turbo only car. Whether the parts come from the ion or a future cobalt.

Also a well designed turbo system is far superior to a twin charge system. You never see serious drag cars using a blower and a turbo, most wont stick with a nice single turbo. People who talk about turbo lag make me luagh. My ION feels like it has more lag than any turbocharged car I have owned. It has to build boost with the rpms so were not really getting that jolt of full power till far later in the rpm range. Most turbos will be making a couple psi prior to making full boost as well. Difference is most will make the boost at ~3000 rpms as opposed to 4500 or whatever it takes our cars to get.
How many serious drag cars, Top Fuel, use single turbos?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,148 Posts
Sky Redline sounds badass and looks badass.

253hp turbocharged ecotec 2.0L
Rear wheel drive.
2 seater convertible
18" forged wheels
Torque-biasing Limited Slip Differential

I'm hoping it's somewhat lightweight, under 2900lbs. From the picture it looks like it has 4 piston caliper brakes and like 13inch rotors. MASSIVE.

If the final release has specs and looks like those. I'm sold!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
762 Posts
Yes Twin-Charing is THE WAY TO GO. Think about it Supercharger is there for the boost right in the beginning and then once the turbo is spooled up and ready to go BAM Supercharger is out of the way and turbo is in full effect. Psi-Fi's twin charged mini-coup is INSANE. The power transition is SMOOTH AS HELL. They hope to have the redline quicker ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
not only is twinchargings efficient but its just gonna be a really cool thing to brag about
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
navymitch12 said:
not only is twinchargings efficient but its just gonna be a really cool thing to brag about
I just really don't think you guys are going to get it. The braggin part is the best of it as It is not very effecient. The supercharger leaches power to turn is blades and then is a restricion in the intake at higher boost levels. I really dont see why you guys have such a hard time seeing that there would be much better routes than a twincharge system. In fact I would be willing to bet a nice Twin Screw supercharger instead of the Eaton would be better than the twincharger as well.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
clownhair said:
because they are banned :(

but other classes that allow it, all turbos.
Well, it seems like those 3 second supercharged cars are doing pretty well....

Not to mention that there's as many people running NO2 as turbos in the SLOWER classes....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
Twincharging is a cool way to make power but for big power not the best way. The right turbo combination will yeild very good results in relation to minimizing turbo lag. The development of turbo technology has improved vastly since the era of twincharging the supercharged MR2 and other vehicles. I like the sound of twincharging becuase you can make good power and it is very streetable, but like clownhair said it is not the best way to make power.

The best thing is to decide what you want to do with the car. My assumption is that most people here use the car for a daily driver so streetability is probably a big factor. This is what my use will be and I am looking at twincharging. However, for somone who is looking for big power, removing the eaton and going turbo is the way to go. It all comes down to what the individual driver is looking to do with the car and how much money and innovation he or she is willing to invest.

I see it as, however you do it, it's forced induction and turbochargers/superchargers sound cool and make power. How much you want and how you want to get there is up to you.
 
1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Top