Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to the gym last night, I pull up behind a silver Saturn Ion sedan. I could see the shiny muffler down the road, and could hear him revving at traffic sitting at the light. So I pull behind him, and figure I'll blast past him real quick from behind when the light turns. So right before it does, he sees me in his rearview and gives it a good hard rev. Now, I drove an Ion sedan as a loaner, nice engine, but it didn't sound like this! This thing was deep, mellow and smooth. Made one of my eyebrows raise when I heard it. So the light turns, and he lights up both front tires for a second and blasts off the line. Which immediatley suprises the hell outta me, I smash the pedal all the way down, light up first, hop into second and chase him down. It took all the way till 3rd gear to catch this guy! Too bad we were in a pretty populated area of town, he was willing to scream and I wasn't. So we went down the road for about 5 miles together. At one point he was sitting at the light behind me roasting the tires, sitting completely still!

Total sleeper! Only thing to make it look different were suttle. Sticker on the right rear window that said 'Sport Compact Performance Mag', or something like that, and a few other names I didn't recognize. Front had bluish true projectors, a redone billet or stainless grill, possiblly some REAL mild ground effects. Along with some serious off the line pull. I had him all day once we got going at all, but off the line and right from the drop, he would pull a car on me before losing it real fast.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was gonna ask him at the the next light we came to at the same time. For the most part, we were seperated by a few cars, and only once were either of us at the front of the line. He shot past me with his turn signals on though, and gave me a little 'peace' sign out the windows, gave him a wave, and he was gone. I'll see him again though, I'm lookin for that azz now!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Maybe it a turbo on it, or some other forced induction. I must have since the 2.2 in the ion is far from quick.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sure didn't sound like it had anything like that. I'm sure had we lined up and raced from a tree, it would have been different. I was just suprised at the instant grunt it seemed to have. With a few mods, I could see one having more torque than my Redline down low. It was also on roads where I was having a hard time really winding it out. Too many cops to chance.

·
Registered
489 Posts
It wouldn't take much to keep up to a redline if a regular ION goes F/I. They would have more torque for sure. I've always pondered buying the RSM supercharger kit for my ION sedan which has been dynoed to add UP TO 80hp alone. I would too, if I wasn't getting married and looking into a house. Ah well, maybe if I hit big in Vegas this summer.

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
matt said:
Maybe it a turbo on it, or some other forced induction. I must have since the 2.2 in the ion is far from quick.
One of the mechanics at my saturn dealer is putting an eaton M90 on his 2.2L Ion along with some other things, I did'nt catch his complete list, but it should put a shocked look on a few faces

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
kazkillinger said:
wait so a stock ecotec 2.2 can have an m90 and we cant get one of those for our cars?????
I don't know when I'll talk to him again but when I do I'll ask what all he's doing to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts