Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the SMS throttle body today. When I had it out for a test drive I noticed improved response when shifting between gears, nice and smooth. Before I had a "stumble" between shifts, so I am happy with that.

The install itself was pretty simple, 4 10mm bolts, electrical connection and vacumn line. The lower right bolt is kinda tough if you have a K&N CAI installed. I refused to remove it so it was a little more difficult, but can be done just the same.

Also it should go without saying but make sure you clean the mating surface on the S/C.
When removing the connection on the throttle body there is a gray plastic retainer that must be removed before removing the connector. Take care not to break it.

Here are a few pics from the install.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
762 Posts
I was thinkin about gettin me one of these. How much is it and how long of install was it a pain how well does it run.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
actually dyno results would be fine anyways. just to see if there is a gain. if there is here it will be there stock as well just not as pronounced. TB's are mods that are generally only good with supporting mods anyways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Moosehead115 said:
actually dyno results would be fine anyways. just to see if there is a gain. if there is here it will be there stock as well just not as pronounced. TB's are mods that are generally only good with supporting mods anyways.
The only problem with him dynoing now is he put the PSI kit on today also, making it impossible to see how much power he truly got from the tb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,314 Posts
there will be dyno numbers w/o the throttle body from other people though so it wont be exact but if there is a significant gain it should be noticeable yet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
clevelander2002 said:
there will be dyno numbers w/o the throttle body from other people though so it wont be exact but if there is a significant gain it should be noticeable yet
Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. Doesn't really matter as he said that he wasn't going to dyno in a separate thread.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
If he was planning on going to a dyno soon, for the 10 minutes it would take to swap the stocker back on... he could get a reading with and without.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
do you not have the right tools? to me the swap between them shouldn't take more than ten minutes like spooner said,even with the CAI.and as for the plastic clip you don't really need to worry about it the connector still clips on just the same as any other connector on the car. the clip is just an extra precaution takin to prevent the connector from somehow falling off
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
ACasper85 said:
do you not have the right tools? to me the swap between them shouldn't take more than ten minutes like spooner said,even with the CAI.and as for the plastic clip you don't really need to worry about it the connector still clips on just the same as any other connector on the car. the clip is just an extra precaution takin to prevent the connector from somehow falling off
Maybe a stupid question but what the hell is the difference if it took him 10 minutes or 20 minutes to install? Maybe he took his time putting it on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well yes I have the right tools for just about any job auto related. put a K&N CAI on, then try to change to the throttle body with it on and get to the lower right bolt. doesnt help that the wire harness is right there too. plus the mating surface has to be cleaned. doesn't just wipe clean. plus I took the time to take a few pics for everybody to see. so yep takes more then just 10 minutes. plus unless you know how every connector works on the car, that add a few minutes. so I would say 25 minutes is pretty dam good.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
speedingredline said:
well yes I have the right tools for just about any job auto related. put a K&N CAI on, then try to change to the throttle body with it on and get to the lower right bolt. doesnt help that the wire harness is right there too. plus the mating surface has to be cleaned. doesn't just wipe clean. plus I took the time to take a few pics for everybody to see. so yep takes more then just 10 minutes. plus unless you know how every connector works on the car, that add a few minutes. so I would say 25 minutes is pretty dam good.
That connector on the TB is a pain in the ass aint it? I swapped a pulley for someone this weekend, and it fell off when he went to test drive it!!! :eek:
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
There he is....

We think so... can't see why not.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top