Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the big-bore throttle body from SMS or any idea about how many ponies this might provide a SC application? I know they're popular & benificial on NA cars but would the gain even be as good on a SC engine?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Hyperion said:
Has anyone tried the big-bore throttle body from SMS or any idea about how many ponies this might provide a SC application? I know they're popular & benificial on NA cars but would the gain even be as good on a SC engine?
Our throttle body is the blower inlet...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
i spoke to wes at sms, and he said the install was pretty easy, and it would net about 3 horses.

he said the main difference would be better and quicker throttle response, which is the main difference in any NA application as well.

·
Registered
677 Posts
That's a chunk of money to drop for three horsepower....

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
exactly, the more u get done the more that throttle body will make a difference.

kinda like a header....say we get a header and it adds 10 horsepower, if u do the exhaust as well, the header will then add 15 horsepower, in addition to the power u get from the exhaust. things work together. those are random numbers, nothing certain at all.....just to show a point.

and like i said before, its not for power, its more for throttle response, somethin like torque, but not torque.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Ummm... I don't think it's gonna ever be more than three horsepower. I'm not sure how a new throttle body will give us anything, personally. I would also assume anyone that is considering it would already have header, exhast, and an intake installe before going this route.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I will say that IF anything, you should treat the intake-blower path as a high-revving engine. So bigger is usually better. The blower is running around 14,000 rpms. Even if it's only 10,000, it gonna follow the large cross-section, high revving philosophy. Which is why we have a 3"+ intake pipe stock. What's the size of the throttle body on there now? Is the SMS one actually designed for the LSJ? It seems alot of their stuff is designed for the other Ecotecs, and if it fits ours, they sell it as an LSJ upgrade...

·
Registered
674 Posts
I would worry about idle and driveability. With the computer controlled throttle body the computer sets the idle with the throttle body it's self. Now it's my understanding the computer has a pre set peramiter (in regards to throttle position) that it uses to determine idle, with a larger throttle body there will be a larger volume of air moving past the throttle blade at the computers pre set point, not allowing the computer to accurately set idle. This inturn will most likely throw off the readings of the map sensor just behind the throttle body. The only thing I don't know is if it can make adjustments for this long term.

Now, if our cars have a fit with just a different air filter or intake, what is it going to think when it can't figure out how to get the idle adjusted correctly. This will most likely be a more benificial product down the road when the ECM has been cracked and tuning can be made easily.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I picked up that Interceptor MM, it never reads over 88% throttle with the stock set up... FYI...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts