Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My car broke down.

Thats right, my brand new Competition RedLine with only 1030 miles on it, ate it half way through first gear. I wasn't the one driving which pissed me off even more. My best friend, who was the only other person to ever drive my 04 RedLine, says the car took of fine and then half way through first it just stopped moving. The engine still runs fine and the clutch and shifter feel normal, so im thinking maybe the lsd is out. When i turn the wheel and push the car, you can hear popping sounds from the wheels. Anybody, have any ideas what might have happened? Also, i'm having the car towed to the dealership monday morning, and was wondering if i should take of my torque brace? I'm afraid they'll say it was putting extra strain on the drivetrain and thats what caused it to go out, therefore voiding my warranty. By the way, if it is my lsd will the dealership even be able to fix it? I've heard that only saab dealerships are equipped to work on lsd's?

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Don't worry about if they can fix it. They'll get it fixed. The TB is easy to take off, so why not? Hardest part is the drilling, and that's done.

That sucks dude. Popping from both wheels? Sounds like CV but unlikely, esp. BOTH wheels....

·
Registered
244 Posts
LowSL2 said:
Take the torque brace off. And any other mods. Can't hurt to be too safe.

Could be the axles. But I doubt it.
Yeah, sounds like axles maybe...strange. Yes, take the brace off, if you don't have an aftermarket parts friendly service dept like mine :D

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LowSL2 said:
Take the torque brace off. And any other mods. Can't hurt to be too safe.
Thats what i was thinking. I only have the torque brace installed right now, so i guess waiting to install my other mods was a good idea.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Ouch! What made you want to put your Red Line under that kind of punishment so early in its life? Hopefully Saturn won't say anything about the fact that you were using it in a racing situation and hopefully they don't read these boards. I think someone else has already had their warranty voided for what Saturn deemed "abuse".

Also, just something that I've always wondered about those torque braces?! I know that in many instances the engineers that build up a specific drivetrain (with all the torque available from the engine in mind) add specific motor mounts and other components that are meant give some tolerances to keep other components from having to deal with the amounts of torque from the engine under hard use. Is it possible that these torque braces are tightening down the engine too hard thus causing failure elsewhere?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
TXRLU said:
Ouch! What made you want to put your Red Line under that kind of punishment so early in its life? Hopefully Saturn won't say anything about the fact that you were using it in a racing situation and hopefully they don't read these boards. I think someone else has already had their warranty voided for what Saturn deemed "abuse".

Also, just something that I've always wondered about those torque braces?! I know that in many instances the engineers that build up a specific drivetrain (with all the torque available from the engine in mind) add specific motor mounts and other components that are meant give some tolerances to keep other components from having to deal with the amounts of torque from the engine under hard use. Is it possible that these torque braces are tightening down the engine too hard thus causing failure elsewhere?
I had the same questions regarding the torque brace, but hopefully Goofyguy can explain, yet again, why the torque brace helps aid the factory setup.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Well, figure this. What if you just took off 4 times on the street? Same thing would have happened. It was 1/2 through 1st, so it wasn't the launch, or was it?

The brace braces against the torquing of the engine back and forth. The mounts hold it up and also brace against torquing. The gg brace is stiffer and has leverage by mounting high. It doesn't make sense for the brace to cause this damage. Someone has had to have a problem without it.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
hahahhahahhahahhahahaaahhahaaha DUDE you may be screwed a 1000 bucks! :(
Im not laughing at you just that i had a similar problem ;) I broke all 4 tranny mounts and the axle that is the poping sound you herd! if this continues im getting my mulla back 2 or 3 more RL out of commision im gonna be pissed! :mad:
you bette rhope since you have aunder 1500 miles one the car you might get lucky! My car was out of commision for 2 weeks
You better hope you have some descent tread life on those tires or they will say you abused the car (unless you have the worlds coolest dealership) then any mods will be next to blame you (intake, exhaust, Tq brace) But if it is a factory defect you get it fixed free of charge!

this is second rl (mabe ) <- keep me posted
and one SS so far

they will know if you have the brace :eek: i took mine off still found the holes to it :mad:

GM is fucking up (sorry for language)

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
that is what is so fucked up with car companies they show comercials of how fast the car can go blah... blah.... then you do it "void warranty" lmao! :confused:

Cant ever win, if any more axles on any bodys rl's or SS's when it gets to around 10 im gonna setup a counter suite to get some money out of these bastard's!!!!
This is fucking bull shit epecially if my man's gets his fixed no problems asked :p

This is supposed to have specially tuned suspension everythign done by Gm performance then ya floor it and it blows up somethign isnt right!!!!!
Im bout to go buy me a rsx type s and supercharge it hell it would be 10 times more reliable and ill be fast as hell 300+ hp :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sorry, I didn't know they made an 04 competition... Hope you get it sorted out though! Good luck!

Josh

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
purplesl2 said:
Sorry, I didn't know they made an 04 competition... Hope you get it sorted out though! Good luck!

Josh
He is speaking of his previous RL that he wrecked. The comp package RL replaced the '04.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
cvenom2122 said:
Im bout to go buy me a rsx type s and supercharge it hell it would be 10 times more reliable and ill be fast as hell 300+ hp :D
I hear ya man. I love my car but if mechanical problems start appearing then I will be trading mine in on a new mazda 3 five door.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Here's how I see it. You could have purchased a Redline w/o the " Comp " package because you had no intention of racing it. But your sales associate brought to you attention that Saturn is now offering a " competion " package designed by The GM Performance Division for........Competion! You purchased your car for what it is designed for....."Competion". That's exactly how you should be prepared to anwere question's from the service dept.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Barry said:
Here's how I see it. You could have purchased a Redline w/o the " Comp " package because you had no intention of racing it. But your sales associate brought to you attention that Saturn is now offering a " competion " package designed by The GM Performance Division for........Competion! You purchased your car for what it is designed for....."Competion". That's exactly how you should be prepared to anwere question's from the service dept.
Unfortunatly, admitting that you were racing voids the warranty on the car. It's listed in the exclusions. Does not matter how the car is "marketed" or what you were told, you signed a paper saying you read and understood the warranty and the policy. I would take a different approach then walking in there and telling then that they are going to fix your car and you know everything.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Racing voids the warranty. Period. I think the best course of action is to say it just " broke while driving down the road". Don't wink or be coy. This sounds like an expensive fix if you have to eat it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Barry said:

That would sem logical, but...

was it aein who was given threads from this board and used against him for his clutch?

Not to mention that there is a GM banner at the top of this page, so someone from GM is reading, plus I know that my dealer has someone who reads these, as they flat out told me so.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts