Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum and do not currently own a Redline but am looking for my next car and as of right now it is coming down to an SRT-4 or an Ion Redline and some of the things that the Redine has going for it is that it says on the Saturn website that it requires 87 octane gasoline and has much lower insurance prices. However, looking around the forums it seems that people are putting 91 octane gas in their redlines and was curious as to is that what the manual says it requires or is that just preference for a slight increase in performance? Also, if there is anyone else who lives in Jersey I would like to hear about the average insurance costs for the Redline (do they bracket in with the other ion quad coupes or do the insurance companies actually recognize the Redline as its own individual model? I ask because I went to Geico.com and after entering the VIN number for one it didn't have the model listed). So basically, does the Redline REQUIRE 91 octane gas or is that just driving preference and is the insurance relatively doable for this model of car, any informative posts I thank in advance.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
This has been a topic before and I am not sure if it was ever answered, but here is my opinion. I have filled my RL up with 89 octane since day 1 (with 1 expection of 91 for the hell of it). I have had no problems with knocking, and on a daily driving stand point I have not noticed any loss in power (though I am sure there is, it just isn't noticable unless your at a track or are timing). I have never put 87 octane in and I will not, not because I don't think the car can run on it(I believe it would run just fine) it's just that I am the type of person who'd rather be safe than sorry (control freak here).

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Well I'm one of those lucky bastards who lives in good-octane-gas heaven; I put 93 in my car, just because I've known PLENTY of people who've but 87 in their F/I cars and had problems. I mean, I guess you can, but you can't expect to race around in it, because the computer will retard the spark for 87 octane, but you'll be having retarded spark. I don't really know why the manual says 87 octane is OK . . . they have an insert in there that's like "instructions for driving at 100+ mph" for chrissake!

Edit: Xero State, you live in Canada, so I'd put 87 in my car too out there, gas costs an arm & a leg up there!

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
urbanmonkeygod04 said:
Edit: Xero State, you live in Canada, so I'd put 87 in my car too out there, gas costs an arm & a leg up there!
Oh ya, its 96.6 cents per litre (canadian litre) for 89 octane. Our tank is 50L. And since I won't take my car to the track for some time I have no real reason to put gas that costs 101.6 cents per litre in my car unless I start to run into problems. I mean, you gotta save money some how and when your a 'spirited' driver, you tend to go through a bit of gas with our cars...lol, go boost!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Always the good stuff. I know it's expensive, but why risk it with shitty gas. IMHO! ;)

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
if you can't afford the extra 20 cents per gallon, i wouldn't buy this car, oil changes cost more, insurance isn't bad though, a 2002 chevy tracker 4 door 4x4 costs more to insure than the redline.

and they say you can run on regular gas, but it's recommended to run on 91 or higher, which it was designed for.

also, you've found out how to start a thread, yet cannot distiguish between the general discussion forum, and picture/media section?

either way, you should run 91 or higher as it was designed for, and insurance is cheap right now, though that isn't to say that one day the insurance companies will raise it, but since it's such a low production vehicle, we're less likely to have statistics raise it, but on the flip side, a few people making mistakes that raise premiums will be reflected as a greater percentage of the "population" of redlines. though i am no insurance agent, i'm sure it'll go up eventually from where they are now. it also depends on what insurance you go through. we use state farm and i pay 520 or so for 6 months

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Yeah, it DID just completely strike me when I was looking at this thread that it was in the wrong area by a long shot . . .

He shoots, he scores!

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Vita said:
if you can't afford the extra 20 cents per gallon
Yes but you have to relize that some people like to spend their spare money on their kids or wife/husband or gf/bf or just having fun with friends. So that 20 cents a gallon adds up over a year. I would recommand going 91 or higher, but like I have said, I have run 89 since day 1 and have not had any problems what-so-ever. It heavily depends on who you buy your gas from. Some places their 91 is the same quality as someones 87 (now, the octane is different, but their still is crap in it). And yes Saturn says you can run on 87 octane, it'll just have less power and unless you are an avid street/track racer I honestly don't think you'll notice it.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
true, but for the long term reliability of my engine, i'd prefer to use what it was designed to use, which in the long run will likely outweigh the spare change saved by penny pinching 2.00/tank

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Octane does play a major part in long term reliability, but there are many other factors, such as driving habits, weather conditions, aftermarket parts not fitting right (mainly engine parts which leak) and others. But the only way to answer this question is to take to cars right from the factory, fill 1 up with 91 or higher the other with lower and drive them the same till they drop dead (weee, thats a long drive...lol). We won't be able to answer the question if a lower octane actually hurts our engine for some time as our cars are new and no one has enough miles or years on the car to tell, so there is no point in argueing that one is better than the other. At this point in time, its personal perference.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I've been using 93 octane in my car since day 1. Most of the stations I stop at only offer 87, 89, and 93. I've mainly been doing city driving since I've gotten my car, but I'm starting my internship next week where I'm going to be doing a lot of freeway driving. When that happens, I'm going to fill up again with 93, record how far I can get and take note at the responsiveness of the throttle. After a week or 2, I'm going to put 91, maybe 89 if I can't find 91, for a couple fill ups and compare the performance/efficiency between the octanes.

Now the manual recommends for our RLs 91 and up, but it says you can use 87 with a decrease in performance. The only reason we would see a difference in performance is because the timing of the engine is tuned for 91 and above. On the customer CD in the RL track, it says expect the computer to readjust to different octanes after at least 3 fillups so it prevents the knocking.

When this was discussed before, some members when they filled up with 87 reported the knocking issue, so they started using the higher octanes. Since our cars were tuned to use 91 and above, that's what should be used if it's available.

With the insurance issue, some companies recognize the RL as a performance/tuner and more noticeable car to steal, so they hike up the rates there. There are some that haven't realized this yet, so they will charge the same as the QC. Unfortunately, State Farm here in MI, is raping me with insurance...even though my dad has been dealing with the insurance through the same lady for a LONG time. It's still high, even with multiple car discounts, good student discount, blah blah blah. Hopefully after I turn 21 this summer, and lose my 2 points, this will go down. But right now, it seems like I'm paying 2x as much as everyone else on here....don't know why, but maybe I'll try and switch insurance companies in the near future. So it depends on your area you live in, and which insurance companies you go through. I'm not sure which ones are still the cheap 'dumb' ones.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
jpapa, I feel your pain on the insurance factor; when I was first looking at Redlines 8-9 months ago, they didn't HAVE the redlines so the closest thing my insurance had was a QC3, which had about the same premium as my Vibe (which was $950 each six months; 18 y/o, 2 tickets, 1 accident) and it went up to $1400 each six months when I BOUGHT the R/L because Farm Bureau figured out what the Redline was

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i'd have to argue that it's not personal preference, but what the factory recommends. if they say use 91 and above (because of cali) then i'd use 91 or above if i were you. it might not be bad to use 87, but it's not what the car was designed to run on

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Vita said:
i'd have to argue that it's not personal preference, but what the factory recommends. if they say use 91 and above (because of cali) then i'd use 91 or above if i were you. it might not be bad to use 87, but it's not what the car was designed to run on
I don't know if you have the customer CD (I got one with my 05). In it, it states that the computer is designed to run off of 91 or above, but if you use 87, it needs about 3 fillups for the computer to adjust to the lower octane for the knocking to stop. I won't be putting 87 in mine ever (I hope), but if it constantly knocks with 87, with 3 fillups, that's at least 600 miles of possible knocking...that can do some damage. I don't know the truth to the computer adjusting the timing either, but that's what the CD states from the factory.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
91+ always

·
Registered
173 Posts
93 All day baby, thats all she eats.:)

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
You could get by with the cheap crap, but I would run at leat 91. The car can run off 87 but supposedly the PCM tunes itself to operate safely off of it, but the car will suffer a slight performance loss. Either way between the Red Line or SRT4 you're going to have to use higher octane fuel, you should always do this with a forced induction car.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
You can run 87 octane (R+M/2 )without worries (IIRC this is in your owners manual)
You wont notice much difference unless you start "pushing it" hard of course
The LSJ uses an advanced flat-response style knock sensor system so if you do start experiencing preignition/detonation it will immediately detect it and quickly roll back your spark advance and prevent engine damage. But of course the reduced timing will not allow your engine to reach "peak" power levels, but other than that it's harmless and generally has no effects on durability under normal use.
Regards

·
Registered
98 Posts
93 octane for the baby. You wouldn't feed your newborn water instead of milk would you? :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts