Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it was real fun. I need a ton more track time to say the least. I am gonna try to find a test and tune day somewhere around here so I can play with tire pressures. I had my tire pressures way too high. The car didnt want steer at all lol. It was tire smoke heaven. I placed 3rd outta 3 cars in my class. 1st was a '04 suberu wrx wagon on street tires with a 42 sec. run, 2nd was an '00 prelude on race tires with a 46 sec. run, then me on race tires with a 48 sec. run. That 48 sec. run started out at 43 seconds before they added the cones up lol :D .
All in all it was great fun. I dont regret going at all. The hardest thing I found is just trying to remember the track. Especially when you are running in the fouth and final heat.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Blu_Redline said:
Try 42 psi in the front and 45 psi in the rears. That is what I've been using so far and it is doing good for me. Without the LSD, you're just going to smoke the tire(s) coming out of a turn into a straight. After 2 trips to the drags and 3 autocrosses, my front Dunlops have 1/2 the tread of the rears, so I rotated them yesterday. here are some facts that you will have to live with. You will not be faster than those #$%^ WRX's, so get used to being their bitch. :( Anything else in D Stock is fair game if you get an LSD and a set of Kuhmo Victor racers. I had a guy in an '05 GTO that was a veteran autocrosser tell me that he was impressed with how the Red Line looked out on the course and that I was doing a real good job hitting the curves and dodging the cones, but it was obvious that the HP of the car easily overpowered the tires and hurt my times. I am looking into getting a set of racing tires (most of the regulars say that tires can make a 2 sec difference) and possibly getting an LSD installed this summer. I have the autocross bug and it is really pointless to push our car without the LSD because of the tremendous wheel spin.

Also try to play with left footed braking while doing 180º sweepers, it will pull the rear of the car down and reduce understeer, allowing you to use more gas pedal and get thru the turn quicker. One of the best drivers left foot brakes through out the whole course (2000 Celica GT) and he is usually THE MAN to beat in the overall PAX class.
The WRX's are notoriously slow in DS. The AWD is nice, but they are too tall and heavy. Having friven both, the RL is a much better handling car than the WRX.

·
Registered
252 Posts
http://www.xau.net/photo/index.php?dir=./images/050508/ 67 Meg - Download - Dailup shouldnt try...(but it can go full screen fairly clear)

Some of the 3rd Heat runs from my sunday autocross. one of the guys from www.sixthsphere.com is driving the saturn stationwagon.. there is a SRT-4, Lan Evo, Renault something, MGB and some other saturn. and no my redline isnt in it. Besides i had 2 off course and some slow times... (still running winter tires) (I should replace them sooner or later)

Xau

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
only one WRX in street tire D stock beat a Jag x-type. I think I can beat the guy in the WRX quite a few times this year.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey CSCC 148 how did those tire pressures work for ya at the practice?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks like I was wrong about those results :rolleyes:
I was posting them from memory.
I drove like crap and got pretty close to that Subaru :D

'D Stock' - Total Entries: 3 Trophies: 1 Times Total
1Tm 3 Hubbell, Christian 04 Subaru WRX 43.853+3 44.398 42.902 42.733 42.733
-
2 m 37 Kraska, Alan 04 Saturn Ion Redline 47.488+DNF 48.411+1 44.940+2 43.421 43.421
3 m 24 Popovic, Zeljko 00 Honda Prelude Type SH 45.036+DNF 44.173+1 41.859+DNF 41.626+2 45.626

·
Registered
135 Posts
alredline04 said:
hey CSCC 148 how did those tire pressures work for ya at the practice?
Can't tell you yet. I'll be trying out the new pressures at a practice on the 22nd. Ask me then. I just took third this last weekend, damnit. :mad:

So now this year I have two wins, two thirds, and one second place finish.

I've noticed that in the tighter courses the Type R's have an advantage and in the open, hp oriented, courses I have the advantage. Let's hope for open courses in the future. :D

P.S. They guy that won this last weekend was so pissed I beat him last time, he went out and bought a new set of Kumho V710's after using his old tires for only one event. Bastard!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think ill try the lower rear pressures at my next event. or just go to an empty lot at night.

CSCC 148 do you think slotted rotors would pass in DS?

·
Registered
135 Posts
alredline04 said:
I think ill try the lower rear pressures at my next event. or just go to an empty lot at night.

CSCC 148 do you think slotted rotors would pass in DS?
Slotted rotors are not legal in stock class, unless they came from the factory. Usually at local events no one cares, though. I wouldn't protest them, but that's me. Technically you can get DQ'd for them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts