Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried out any of the pullies from this place? It says on the website to not go smaller than 3.25" pully without an ecu reprogram, would that even be worth doing, according to the site a 3.25" pully will add 2lbs of boost. Can anyone help me out with this or give me some advice on a good pully system

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
yea the reason u need the ecu piggy back is b/c your car wont like running anymore then 2 extra lbs of boost without a little re-programing

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
where can you get this piggy back and how much is it? Has it worked for anyone yet? Also I thought I have read that some people have the 3" in now with no piggy or reprogram.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will that extra 2lbs of boost do anything HP wise, or would it be better to wait, get a smaller one and have the ecu piggybacked?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have the 3.25 pulley and it works pritty good. I hit about 14 psi with it and havnt had any problems.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
well from what i can understand you wont ever see above 14psi. the ECU limits how much boost you get. and goin' off that, i would assume you COULD run the smallest pully they offer, and still only see a MAX of 14 psi on teh stock computer, you would just get tehre hella quicker

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a 3.25 also haven't had any probs. I am going to go to a smaller one yet but I have to get a bigger tensioner first.

·
Registered
716 Posts
CuriousGeorge said:
well from what i can understand you wont ever see above 14psi. the ECU limits how much boost you get. and goin' off that, i would assume you COULD run the smallest pully they offer, and still only see a MAX of 14 psi on teh stock computer, you would just get tehre hella quicker
The ECU can actually see up to 16.5 lbs. of boost.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Draxxus said:
I have a 3.25 also haven't had any probs. I am going to go to a smaller one yet but I have to get a bigger tensioner first.
I think we can go to 3" without any tnsion problems. I know someone had the 2.8 and it slipped alot.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
The biggest 'limit' of the ECU is near redline. The car has an odd MAP sensor that can see 16+ psi, like SoCal said.

Clownhair was seeing plenty of boost with just the pulley change, but boost does not magically turn to hp.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I Needs To Know

HEY EVERYONE!!! i hear all this stuff on how u can have more boost with this 3.25 pully. and u can do a k&n intake on it with a new ecu. now people plz tell me something. this car does around 6.1 on the 0-60. and 15's on 1/4. tell me if I did all of the listed above... wat would my #'s be??? or if u have done mods wat are ur #'s and mods. PLZ contact me. post again after this one or email me at [email protected]. or if u cant aim me at jkcarcrazy2000. thanks to all who help.

·
Registered
710 Posts
low 14's with a good driver...those with smaller pullies, have you felt any horsepower increase at all?

484 Posts
Well For Starters The 3.25 Only Give You 13 1/2 Psi It Was Confirmed With A Gm Tech2 Scan Tool A 3.1 Pulley Hits 14 Psi With No Problems & No Belt Slip The Next Pulley Size Down 2.9 Give A 16psi But A Bigger Tentioner Is Recommended Ive Ran With Both Sizes
With No Ecu Upgrades No Codes & Was Still Running Stock Plugs. Im Running The 3.1 Untill Ive Finished The Ice Box For The Innercooler
Although I Didnot See Any Knock Retard I Still Want To Run Cooler Air Due To The Increase Of Sc Rpm's & The Heat It Generates As To The Stock Setup

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do you need to buy that pully puller in order to install it, or do they just put that on there to get your money?

484 Posts
Twofootyardstick said:
do you need to buy that pully puller in order to install it, or do they just put that on there to get your money?
if you dont mind ill answer, if you know someone that installs pulleys no you would not have to buy the puller / installer, but if your going to do it yourself you should buy it , ive already had to install someones pulley because they thought they could do it themself & almost damaged the shaft :eek:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Twofootyardstick said:
I installed mine last night without a puller and it was very easy. you will need a 5"x5" piece of 1/2 plate and a torch. cut a horse shoe with a 2" opening out of the plate and slip that behind the original pully. Now you can use a regular puller but make sure you put a 8mm bolt in the end of the s/c shaft so you don't damage the threads. It took @20 min.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Anyone running 91 octane with a smaller pulley??? Only reason i ask is because im moving to AZ and thats all they have out there.

·
Registered
196 Posts
speedingredline said:
has anybody replaced the tensioner yet. I see it mentioned it a lot but does one exist? Where can I get one?
What about the pulley that is between the tensioner and the crank? The idler that is mostly hidden from view. That one is slightly larger than the tensioner, isn't it? You could order one of those.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts