Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I did promise you guys a review of the clutch/flywheel that are FINALLY in my car..so here goes.

The first thing you'll notice about the flywheel when you get it is that it's VERY light..in fact it weighed in at 7lbs nearly on the dot. Yank the stock one and compare it to this and you'll notice a huge difference. The finish on the product is very high and is about what you'd expect on an alluminum flywheel.

After finally getting it installed and re-installed correctly :rolleyes: it performs just fine. I only have ONE very minor gripe about the flywheel and it's the fact that it reverberates slightly and causes more engine noise when you let off the gas (Unless you push in the clutch or put it in neutral) and if someone didn't know better they might think that there was something wrong.

Taking off with this is fun and it took me a bit to get takeoffs down without chirping the tires..it's also nice how quick the revs fall..

The install was an annoying bit as the first shop that did my clutch/flywheel didn't put all 8 bolts that hold the flywheel to the crank in and it leaked oil into the bellhouse..sooo..Saturn had my car forever fixing everything. Just make sure it's installed correctly and I'm sure you'll be pleased with it (getting around the extra noise it creates).. :D

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
a few questions! do you feel like you gained hp from the faster revs? I herd having a flywheel feels like a infinite dose of N2o:) and in lower gears you gains HP

How fast does first gear go!

and how much for install at saturn because im going to follow this route soon ;)

·
Banned
943 Posts
cvenom2122 said:
a few questions! do you feel like you gained hp from the faster revs? I herd having a flywheel feels like a infinite dose of N2o:) and in lower gears you gains HP

How fast does first gear go!

and how much for install at saturn because im going to follow this route soon ;)

But the flywheel itself is like 400 bucks...may want to go with the fidanza one...

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This one IS the Fidanza one..SPEC just sells it as their own :rolleyes: so I managed to get my money back to knock it to the same price as the Fidanza..

About the feel though..it feels good, but my butt dyno is super broke considering I've been cruising in a 700+RWHP/600+RWTq Porsche (that I nearly need to take a loan out to feed it gas..) since I didn't have my Satty.. FROM what I remember it does feel a bit faster, but I couldn't say if it actually gained anything without going and having the car dynoed. I do know that this weekend when I met up with Rice Eater and the others he said he was actually surprised at how well my car kept up with his (he still beat me..but considering he has an exhaust, 3 inch pulley, and header he should)..soo Iuno. I know he pulled Zville much worse than he pulls me..

aaand to cost..since it went to a shop that screwed everything up, then went to Saturn..it cost me a pretty penny. I'd expect if you went straight to Saturn (I couldn't even get my car down to them) you'd expect to be paying around $300-500 for an install depending on your dealership's rates..

·
Banned
820 Posts
I agree with Tibbett I have almost the same setup on my car with the Fidenza/SPEC flywheel and a SPEC clutch! Matt has a Stage three I have a Stage 2. I will agree that it does make the RPMs drop a lot faster and it takes some getting used to at first so you dont chirp the tires, but other than that I love it! And yes I do beleive this setup makes the car slightly faster. Tibbett and I didnt have achance to line up against each other when we were up at Rice's place, it would be interesting to see the difference between a Stage 2 vs. Stage 3

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about this..Rice Eater pulls you hard and hardly pulls me...comparison enough?

·
Banned
820 Posts
That works! I did see you guys go against each other you did a great job Matt! Kudos to you on that man! A few more mods and you will be right up there with Rice. Me however I need to get a job and fast so I dont get left in the dust by you guys! LOL

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah..you should've seen us both rushing towards you very fast with both of us wondering what you were doing :D We slowed down and you would as well..alas.. I need a 3.0 pulley and an exhaust..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts