Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wheel hop, wheel hop, wheel hop. No matter what I did, the RL hopped like a rabid bunny. There were some hi points of the day, like when I beat an 04 GTO on a heads up race. I know that a lot of people will say no way should a GTO have got beaten by an ION Red Line, but IT HAPPENED!, and I'll take the "W". I don't care if the dude couldn't drive his car, I suffered great amounts of wheel hop and went on to have a good run. Bottom line of the day was I got beat the first 300 feet by almost everyone, but after the car quit doing it's bunny hop, the torque of the Eaton pulled me right on down the track and I caught up and passed all but 2 cars. A WS6 on nitrous doing a 12.85 and a late 90s Camaro that did a 14.60 (this guy I should have beat). Except for the wheel hoppin', it was a fun time at the track.
Pics attached
My blue bitch GTO
3 Time slips
DASMOPAR's Red SRT-4 (from SRT-4 FORUMS)
Driver's view of Norwalk Raceway Park

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
Blu_Redline said:
Wheel hop, wheel hop, wheel hop. No matter what I did, the RL hopped like a rabid bunny. There were some hi points of the day, like when I beat an 04 GTO on a heads up race. I know that a lot of people will say no way should a GTO have got beaten by an ION Red Line, but IT HAPPENED!, and I'll take the "W". I don't care if the dude couldn't drive his car, I suffered great amounts of wheel hop and went on to have a good run. Bottom line of the day was I got beat the first 300 feet by almost everyone, but after the car quit doing it's bunny hop, the torque of the Eaton pulled me right on down the track and I caught up and passed all but 2 cars. A WS6 on nitrous doing a 12.85 and a late 90s Camaro that did a 14.60 (this guy I should have beat). Except for the wheel hoppin', it was a fun time at the track.
Pics attached
My blue bitch GTO
3 Time slips
DASMOPAR's Red SRT-4 (from SRT-4 FORUMS)
Driver's view of Norwalk Raceway Park
Based upon your timeslips the GTO driver must have had an epileptic seizure when you raced him. Just playing. Practice makes perfect though. Ease up on the throttle at the beginning and you'll be into the low 14s in no time.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Daaaaayyyuum!!!!

even with nasty wheel hop like that youre getting decent 60' times, and 14.8's with issues is pretty good too, cant wait to get mine.

thanks for sharing bro, and i bet the driver of that GTO felt stupid, LOL.
good runs.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shaneathan said:
Practice makes perfect though. Ease up on the throttle at the beginning and you'll be into the low 14s in no time.
This is par for the course for Shanethan... yapping of what he knows nothing of. I made seven runs dude with a different plan of launch each time and wheel hop was there EVERY TIME, and my 60' times are all over the map as a result. Now, granted, I never tried leaving like I was driving to the dentist's office and waiting until second to hammer it - That would be useless. I've drag raced since '77 and don't get the "I'm on a race track jitters" that most newbs get. Our problem at NRP is the insane traction this national caliber track has. Halfway through the day, they put down more rosin for the slick cars because street tires REMOVE the laid down rubber. I have GOBS of sticky rubber boogers all down the sides of my car from my tires slinging track rubber.(hint: spray PAM on the rockers and fender liner and fenders to aid in the removal of rubber residue)

The track was so sticky that after I did my burnout, as I was rolling to the staging beams, the tires rolling on the track sounded like masking tape being pulled off the roll.(gotta love power windows in a race car :D )

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
boosthard05 said:
Daaaaayyyuum!!!!

even with nasty wheel hop like that youre getting decent 60' times, and 14.8's with issues is pretty good too, cant wait to get mine.

thanks for sharing bro, and i bet the driver of that GTO felt stupid, LOL.
good runs.
I know that the GTO should have beat me and don't deny it, but... in front of a lot of people he lost to a Saturn Red Line... shame on him.

I'm looking into motor mount issues that an SRT owner pointed out and suggested a cure for. That and I'm going to look into a pair of slicks (not drag radials) to help with the wheel hop. SRT owner said that helped eliminate his wheel hop issues.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Blu_Redline said:
I know that the GTO should have beat me and don't deny it, but... in front of a lot of people he lost to a Saturn Red Line... shame on him.

I'm looking into motor mount issues that an SRT owner pointed out and suggested a cure for. That and I'm going to look into a pair of slicks (not drag radials) to help with the wheel hop. SRT owner said that helped eliminate his wheel hop issues.
yeah, motor mounts and stickier tires should definately fix that problem, i have a buddy who has a pretty well modded SRT-4 and he was sayin that wheel hop was nasty untill he got his mounts, after he installed those he said it pretty much did the job.

cant wait to see results once you get the bugs worked out.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Blu_Redline said:
This is par for the course for Shanethan... yapping of what he knows nothing of. I made seven runs dude with a different plan of launch each time and wheel hop was there EVERY TIME, and my 60' times are all over the map as a result. Now, granted, I never tried leaving like I was driving to the dentist's office and waiting until second to hammer it - That would be useless. I've drag raced since '77 and don't get the "I'm on a race track jitters" that most newbs get. Our problem at NRP is the insane traction this national caliber track has. Halfway through the day, they put down more rosin for the slick cars because street tires REMOVE the laid down rubber. I have GOBS of sticky rubber boogers all down the sides of my car from my tires slinging track rubber.(hint: spray PAM on the rockers and fender liner and fenders to aid in the removal of rubber residue)

The track was so sticky that after I did my burnout, as I was rolling to the staging beams, the tires rolling on the track sounded like masking tape being pulled off the roll.(gotta love power windows in a race car :D )
Yapping about something I know nothing about? Considering your times, and there are people on here going to the track for the first time and spanking your times, I don't really care if you've been racing since 77. That could mean that you have sucked since 77.

If that is the best you can do after that many runs, then maybe taking someone else's advice is in order.

I was just playing in my last post and trying to offer some constructive advice. But if you want to play that way, now that we're talking about it, did it take you two hours to get to 140?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
shaneathan said:
Yapping about something I know nothing about? Considering your times, and there are people on here going to the track for the first time and spanking your times, I don't really care if you've been racing since 77. That could mean that you have sucked since 77.

If that is the best you can do after that many runs, then maybe taking someone else's advice is in order.

I was just playing in my last post and trying to offer some constructive advice. But if you want to play that way, now that we're talking about it, did it take you two hours to get to 140?
YAWN!! you say sumptin, dick?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NIVO88T said:
should be able to pull a [email protected] with at least a 2.0 60ft.
So far most of the reported 60' times posted in various threads here are hanging around 2.3xx. One thing shane-a-dick doesn't know is the variation of track traction on a particular car. I'm getting great amounts of wheel hop at NRP where if I was at some run of the mill asphalt patch of a drag strip the traction could be less and not causing the hop. Swear to God, walking over the starting line at NRP in tennis shoes is like walking on fly paper. A confirmation of what I speak would be at the autocross 2 weeks ago, that is just regular blacktop and I had very minimal wheel hop, but with a lot of tire spin.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Glad I had a chance to talk with you at Nowalk this past weekend. I think you ran pretty good based on what other FWD cars where running on street tires. Wheel hop is a killer. Also I did run a new best there sat. [email protected] mph 0.004 better than my old best time lol.

Hey there Nivo. You are everywhere.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Dasmopar said:
Hey Glad I had a chance to talk with you at Nowalk this past weekend. I think you ran pretty good based on what other FWD cars where running on street tires. Wheel hop is a killer. Also I did run a new best there sat. [email protected] mph 0.004 better than my old best time lol.

Hey there Nivo. You are everywhere.
So if you ran a new best time there, then doesn't that mean that "140 mph been there boy" shouldn't be blaming it on the track? Maybe his walker was weighing down the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
shaneathan said:
So if you ran a new best time there, then doesn't that mean that "140 mph been there boy" shouldn't be blaming it on the track? Maybe his walker was weighing down the car.
I was on slicks and that makes a big diff. Plus my 60ft, 330ft, 1/8 mile times where all slower than my old best. Meaning I didn't hook as well and made it up past the 1/8 mile point. But like I said I was on slicks and that is a diffrent game . I didn't see a walker in his car either.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dasmopar, looked at the motor mount and have a few ideas - thanks. Never mind Shaneadick, he's the forum's pompus lawyer, wannabe regular joe. He knows everything, just ask him. Aside from the 45 psi 60' time, all the rest of my 60 footers are as good as the 14.40 -14.80 times that are posted here, wheel hop was a mother because of the grip, but I hammered thru all of it. I give no validity to anything shaneaslurp chimes in on until he runs and posts his times to show us all his masterful prowess of his Red Line.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Good runs and no offense but wtf you guys are fighting like little children. This was a good board but its starting to go to hell with all the damn childish fighting. Shaneathan you start alot cause yes you do think you know it all just like a typical lawyer. Blu_redline you really didn't need to fight back could of just let it go.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.