Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good Day, All! :)

I'm loving every second of driving the Red Line, but have 2 niggling squeaks that re-occur periodically. I was curious as to whether anyone else has experienced these issues anf if they will simply go away as the vehicle is "broken in".

First, I have noticed that there is a squeak after the Ion has been sitting out in the sun. The sound appears to originate from within the steering wheel and occurs more frequently when turning left. I believe that the squeak is due to the clockspring coil, which connects the steering wheel electronics to the rest of the vehicle.

I've also notices some squeaking from the base of the seat. I think that the contact point is the interface between the seat cushion and the plastic seat base. I will procure a patch of felt tape and see if this can be rectified. :cool: Losing 20 pounds probably wouldn't hurt either... ;)

Has anyone else dealt with these issues before? I may mention the steering wheel noise at my first oil change and see if the Delearship can remedy the situation. Overall, I'm still amazed at how much I enjoy driving now and these are really, very small complaints to an otherwise phenomenal vehicle.

Best Regards and Have a Great Weekend! :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I can't say I've had those squeaks, but I have had others. My dirvers side seat belt squeaks when I lean forward slowly. I can duplicate the squeak by slowly pull on the belt. My only other sound of concern comes from the stearing wheel. There is a slight thunk when I turn the wheel close to lock either right or left. Then the same thunk as the wheel passes the same spot on the return to center. The seatbelt I can live with but I am going to have the steering thunk looked at next time I am in for an oil change.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I was having a squeek come from the back, passengers side. I found a peice of loose trim when I was detailing my car this last week. Since then, it's stopped. Any chance its something like that?

·
Registered
266 Posts
When i first got my car there was a squeak coming from the back seat, it turned out to be one of the back seats wasn't pushed in all the way...check that out, it was quite annoying.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Nero said:
I can't say I've had those squeaks, but I have had others. My dirvers side seat belt squeaks when I lean forward slowly. I can duplicate the squeak by slowly pull on the belt. My only other sound of concern comes from the stearing wheel. There is a slight thunk when I turn the wheel close to lock either right or left. Then the same thunk as the wheel passes the same spot on the return to center. The seatbelt I can live with but I am going to have the steering thunk looked at next time I am in for an oil change.
I had the same problem on mine and had to replace the entire driver front seatbelt. Really, really annoying sound every time I was leaning forward or moving in my seat. Good luck

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Mine was more of a moaning sound when pulling the seatbelt. It happened more when the ambient temp was high, and it annoyed the hell out of me. Ended up being a major repair. Had to cut the seatbelt out, send out to have the bolts removed from the frame and them reinstalled everything. Took about 2 days. At least the noise is gone

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Squeak happens when turn signal is in Left Position

Through some trial and error and analysis, I've come to the conclusion that the Steering Wheel squeak predominantly occurs when the left turn signal is activated. Perhaps there's a binding condition that I'm not aware of. I'll post the results after my 1rst visit to service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just put my VUE in the shop for the exact same thing. I think they lubed the steering wheel, but I'm still waiting for a decision on what's wrong with my seat. The first Tech said that it just happens, and there's nothing they can do about it, but the head mechanic said that he'd ask another tech today, and that's where i am, i'll keep you posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts