Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my car makes a metal-on-metal squealing noise when I'm giving it throttle going down the road. It does not do it when I rev the engine and the car is sitting still. It immediately goes away when I let off the throttle, but will come back when I apply throttle again. The noise isn't too loud, but it has definitely been getting louder.

I believe it is an issue with something connected to the serpentine belt. I went through and sprayed WD-40 on the center of a few of the pulleys one at a time to see if the noise changed. It did not with the tensioner, but I think it did with the Belt Tensioner Bracket ( 12584364 ).

Does anyone else have any suggestions on what else might be making the noise?

I went ahead and bought the belt tensioner bracket a few weeks ago. I went try and put it on yesterday and failed. I initially was thinking I could take off the engine mount and get to it that way, but I found the bolts from the mount bracket hit the frame. I think started looking around and noticed a factory hole in the frame that nearly lines up with one of bolts on the belt tensioner bracket. I don't think there is enough room between the frame and the crankshaft pulley to get the bracket out from the bottom. I've looked around and I haven't found any instructions anywhere on how to remove and replace this. Any hints here would be appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
I would start with taking the belt off and starting the car to see if you still have the squeal.
If you dont, try to replicate by hand before you start throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would start with taking the belt off and starting the car to see if you still have the squeal.
If you dont, try to replicate by hand before you start throwing parts at it.
Sorry, I'm mechanically stupid. Since this only happens when I'm moving and applying throttle, I would need to remove the belt and drive the car. I'd think that without the supercharger running, that I'd need unhook the vacuum from the bypass valve. Otherwise, when I did try to drive it, the bypass valve would close, forcing air intake through supercharger that isn't running thus choking the car.

Is this a good way of testing it?

Sorry I did try testing with WD-40 on various pulleys, but after trying to swap the part, I'm doubting myself and testing methods.

Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
Ohhh well if its not at idle it may be belt slip then.
I was saying you take take the belt off and start the car, just at idle, if there's no squeak then its a pulley.
But if it's under load it may be belt slip then or could be the tensioner seizing up

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
These are really good discussions and more people here should add comments even if it does not fix the issue right away

If I were to install a new gas pedal, this may create a new problem , my foot needs to learn the new "action"

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Just to add here: when I picked up my IRL 7 years ago ... the belt looked brand new and was happy that it was "new"

Being I just got a 10 year old car, My IRL had about 28000 miles on it. However, the previous owner did not drive the car much and was a "sitter". Even though the belt was new looking and made no noise, it was weak. This weakness was brought on most likely by"holding the engine in place". This process may have perserved the engine for 10 years, off and on (couple thousand miles per year) , Which is why my engine is working efficiently now at 17.5 years.

Going back to belt: I drove the IRL for about two weeks and no noise at all and then I was sitting idle at the light , bang, flap, flap, flap, flap etc... the nut came off the tensioner and see you later belt. I would guess that the hold may have dry rotted the belt in some areas making the weak points.

I understand it is frustrating when there is a noise that just does not seem right

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Just curious on the belt slip - so this is a friction issue - two possibilites the belt is not providing enough or is the pulley

not providing enough or too much (pulley not rotating correctly)- either one could change the correct amount of friction.

I could probably benefit from a new pulley because I think my ZZP belt is fine, but who knows,

perhaps I should have stuck with the GM specifications - GM stage 2 belt

Why else would a metal on metal noise - could be rust on the moving parts - somewhere on the system - not a happy situation.

Or alignment of the belt or pulley

Outside temperature on the rubber

Changes in temperature from performance driving.

·
Super Moderator
1,643 Posts
Using the car daily helps keep belts alive. But either way they are rubber components made similar to tires.
Over time they stretch and wear down. Especially on cars like ours that get revved out constantly.

Belt slip is similar to the car surging. Youd notice it stomping the car hard.

I usually replace mine every 50-75k as a preventive maintenance. Where as dealers say 100k.
Theyre cheap. Why not? Just like oil. It's way cheaper than swapping an engine.
My 16 cherokee has just under 50k on it. 3.2 v6 with vvt. Relies on clean oil to stay happy. Jeep says change it every 7500 miles. I still change it every 2500-3k. Overkill yes. But I'm keeping the engine clean and the vvt happy.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Quote:
Belt slip is similar to the car surging. Youd notice it stomping the car hard.

What is car surging?

Yes I agree... the perfomance part of our cars makes things variable and like a racing team that changes the tires every so often.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts