Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Short story: they will bolt right on, and reports are that the stock wheels will fit over them. If I were you, I'd do a junkyard part search for some used ones... the increased rotor size and better caliper design aren't worth $1000, but if you find a deal... might be worth it.

However, there have been many reports about the stock SS/TC rear brakes eating pads and rotors like candy.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The inside of the Redline wheel spokes do interfere with the Cobalt SS/TC Brembo caliper face. You would need to run a small spacer to get clearance.

Also, everyone is correct about the Cobalt SS/TC rotor/caliper fitment to the hub. HOWEVER, the caliper will be spaced too far out by 1.5mm and will not be centered on the rotor. So you will either have to machine the knuckle down by 1.5mm or the Brembo caliper where it interfaces with the knuckle.
Or the other option is to take off 1.5mm of pad material from the inside pad. Personally, I would remove the 1.5mm from the caliper.

a buddy and I just finished retrofitting the Cobalt SS/TC Brembos to a Cobalt SS/SC a week ago. Just note... ABS will not be optimized for the Redline or the Cobalt SS/SC if you retrofit with the SS/TC Brembos.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
a buddy and I just finished retrofitting the Cobalt SS/TC Brembos to a Cobalt SS/SC a week ago. Just note... ABS will not be optimized for the Redline or the Cobalt SS/SC if you retrofit with the SS/TC Brembos.
Get any pictures during the install?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
you will either have to machine the knuckle down by 1.5mm or the Brembo caliper where it interfaces with the knuckle.
Or the other option is to take off 1.5mm of pad material from the inside pad. Personally, I would remove the 1.5mm from the caliper.

great info man!

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
The inside of the Redline wheel spokes do interfere with the Cobalt SS/TC Brembo caliper face. You would need to run a small spacer to get clearance.

Also, everyone is correct about the Cobalt SS/TC rotor/caliper fitment to the hub. HOWEVER, the caliper will be spaced too far out by 1.5mm and will not be centered on the rotor. So you will either have to machine the knuckle down by 1.5mm or the Brembo caliper where it interfaces with the knuckle.

i am no sure where you all get sideways machingin with this unless you did not change the knuckle: the TC knuckle and brembo caliper with a Redline wheel bearing is a direct fit up. the lsj knuckle is not. I use grand am wheel bearings at the front to use a bigger axle. the tooth count is the same for the abs. the abs tooth count for the tc wheel bearing is wrong for a redline and 05 06 cobalts. with correct wheel bearings and brembo brakes changing the hardware the software is ok, the abs is fine doesnt need any changes it works great on the street and on the track with the TC Brembo set up I have track tested it extensively....

·
Registered
183 Posts
I did my brake conversion before I knew about the cobalt, I used 300ZX turbo calipers in the front and turbo RX7 in the rears, had to keep the stock rear caliper for the parking brakes. Stops great and didn't need a larger master cylinder! have pics also

·
Registered
884 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
no the stock wheels will not clear with stock nuckles. you need to use TC nuckles to not use wheel spacers. i did the swap a while ago and went through this problem and just used spacers.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts