Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a bit of research but still have quite a few unanswered question or questions that haven't been fully confirmed.
I have completely stock Redline, that i have recently obtained and was looking into the stage kits, not sure which to get and what pulley/injectors etc was hoping you guys could help me out.

1. I want to keep the car running completely well as i cant afford it to break, which pulley can I get without putting the car in too much danger?

2. What is the smallest pulley I can run with stock cooling?

3. After what pulley do I have to switch gas at?

4. I haven't seen anyone really talk about the 3.1 pulley, is it just not even worth the gain for the cost?

5. I was looking at the ZZP stage kits, was wondering what exactly the difference is between the stage2 and stage3, seems to just be that you can add on an aftermarket cooling.

6. At what pulley size do I have to change the exhaust at?

Thanks for all the help, and im sure the answer are somewhere on these forums but ive gone through at least 20 threads and they're starting to pile up in my web browser.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I suppose I could sum all my questions up to, what kit, size pulley and injectors would you recommend for a poor college student that wants a bit more power, but cant afford paying for high quality gas, or fancy cooling mods or engine blowing up?

Would the gain of this be worth the cost?

I'm not really interested in switching to e85 either.

· Registered
132 Posts
1. If you have the supporting mods, you can run as low as a 2.8 reliably.
2. I wouldnt go below a 3.0 without cooling mods. meaning fmhe and dual pass minimum.
3. not sure, ive always run 91 or 93 what ever one i can find. i know it is recomended on the 3.1 for stage 2.
4. 3.1 pulley is the pulley on gms2, a lot of people run the stage 2 pulley. it is a cheap upgrade because it doesnt require a bunch of supporting mods.
5. you are right. the difference is the cooling mods, which allow you to run a smaller pulley.
6. you will see an improvement with your stock car if you upgrade exhaust. im not sure if there is a set size that you are required to get a new exhaust, but the main restriction points are the header/downpipe and the muffler. if you replace those 2 you should be fine.

considering your situation and your interests, i would find a used stage 2 kit to throw on there and get a header/downpipe. you will be very safe to daily drive it as long as your tune isnt crap and you will defiantly notice the difference.
i actually have GM stage 2 for sale right now, its sold as of now but if it falls through i will let you know.

· Registered
132 Posts
oh sorry, forgot one point. if you drop pulley sizes at all, you need 42# injectors. anything lower than 3.0 i think you need 60#

· Registered
958 Posts
I have done a bit of research but still have quite a few unanswered question or questions that haven't been fully confirmed.
I have completely stock Redline, that i have recently obtained and was looking into the stage kits, not sure which to get and what pulley/injectors etc was hoping you guys could help me out.

1. I want to keep the car running completely well as i cant afford it to break, which pulley can I get without putting the car in too much danger?

2. What is the smallest pulley I can run with stock cooling?

3. After what pulley do I have to switch gas at?

4. I haven't seen anyone really talk about the 3.1 pulley, is it just not even worth the gain for the cost?

5. I was looking at the ZZP stage kits, was wondering what exactly the difference is between the stage2 and stage3, seems to just be that you can add on an aftermarket cooling.

6. At what pulley size do I have to change the exhaust at?

Thanks for all the help, and im sure the answer are somewhere on these forums but ive gone through at least 20 threads and they're starting to pile up in my web browser.
if you want to keep your car reliable and cant afford to fix it when it breaks then don't mod it

2. I wouldnt go below a 3.0 without cooling mods. meaning fmhe and dual pass minimum.
3. not sure, ive always run 91 or 93 what ever one i can find. i know it is recomended on the 3.1 for stage 2.
4. 3.1 pulley is the pulley on gms2, a lot of people run the stage 2 pulley. it is a cheap upgrade because it doesnt require a bunch of supporting mods.
5. you are right. the difference is the cooling mods, which allow you to run a smaller pulley.
6. you will see an improvement with your stock car if you upgrade exhaust. im not sure if there is a set size that you are required to get a new exhaust, but the main restriction points are the header/downpipe and the muffler. if you replace those 2 you should be fine.

considering your situation and your interests, i would find a used stage 2 kit to throw on there and get a header/downpipe. you will be very safe to daily drive it as long as your tune isnt crap and you will defiantly notice the difference.
i actually have GM stage 2 for sale right now, its sold as of now but if it falls through i will let you know.

1 cooling mods are for recovery they do not help the rate of temp rise
2 you can run what ever pulley you want again cooling mods are for recovery
3 you got one right highest octane available is what gm recommends
4 the 3.1 pulley requires nothing
5 cooling mods do not dictate pulley size cooling mods are for recovery
6 the exhaust manifold is not the main restriction you can make 350whp on a stock manifold and a tvs the cat and the stock muffler is the main choke point
7 the option b kit is the best bang for the buck
8 you can run down to 1 2.9 on 42#inj

if you want better iat2 temps add capacity to the system and spend the money on a griffen Heat Exchanger and a option b so the system is continually bled to get all the air out of the system

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright so a 3.0 pulley wouldn't require any other mods?

And I realize that cooling mods aren't "required" but if the engine is going to explode without them im going to call them required.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Alright thanks for the information, curious what pulley do you have for that stage 2 kit? and do let me know if the buyer falls through, ill see how much money i got laying around.

· Registered
958 Posts
exploding was an over exaggeration.
2.8 pulley sounds like it needs cooling modification or it will be bad.
yea and there you go speaking about stuff you have no clue about

Stage 2 and 3.0 pulley, 42 injectors and good to go then ya?
you can run down to a 2.9 if the tuner has a clue

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea and there you go speaking about stuff you have no clue about

you can run down to a 2.9 if the tuner has a clue
first off i never said I knew what i was talking about, infact i made this thread asking question, why would you assume i know what im talking about, thats why im asking questions, so you don't have to be an ass. Finally i even said sounds, which implies that im not sure but from what ive heard.

· Registered
47 Posts
Mr. B tends to be a bit of a dick at times, but the dude knows what he's talking about. I just chalk it up to crotchety age or some such? I'm assuming here, of course... Bottom line, he has good advice, but sometimes he comes across like a jerk. Nonetheless, you would do well to heed him. Also, I do think he could be a bit more courteous, but oh well... No excuse for being an *******, but ******* or not, he knows his shit, and he's always ready and willing to share his knowledge, so he gets a pass. Not saying it's right; just saying be thankful that he's offering you some of his knowledge. Maybe one of these days he'll pull that stick out of his ass and be all sunshine and rainbows, but until then, I just hope he'll stick around and continue to give us noobs the benefit of his experience.

· Registered
958 Posts
first off i never said I knew what i was talking about, infact i made this thread asking question, why would you assume i know what im talking about, thats why im asking questions, so you don't have to be an ass. Finally i even said sounds, which implies that im not sure but from what ive heard.
1. you need to search and read its clear you don't know
2. well when you say it sounds leave a lot of room for assumptions
3. don't take the word of someone who parrots information
4. I have been in this platform since 2005 I spent most of my time on .net
5. I have yet to be a dick or an ass hole I put it out there if you don't like it well that's on you

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mr. B tends to be a bit of a dick at times, but the dude knows what he's talking about. I just chalk it up to crotchety age or some such? I'm assuming here, of course... Bottom line, he has good advice, but sometimes he comes across like a jerk. Nonetheless, you would do well to heed him. Also, I do think he could be a bit more courteous, but oh well... No excuse for being an *******, but ******* or not, he knows his shit, and he's always ready and willing to share his knowledge, so he gets a pass. Not saying it's right; just saying be thankful that he's offering you some of his knowledge. Maybe one of these days he'll pull that stick out of his ass and be all sunshine and rainbows, but until then, I just hope he'll stick around and continue to give us noobs the benefit of his experience.

fair enough

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1. you need to search and read its clear you don't know
2. well when you say it sounds leave a lot of room for assumptions
3. don't take the word of someone who parrots information
4. I have been in this platform since 2005 I spent most of my time on .net
5. I have yet to be a dick or an ass hole I put it out there if you don't like it well that's on you
alright then. What is the smallest pulley you would put in your car if you had no cooling mods and had planned to daily drive it?

· Registered
47 Posts
Oh come on! You've got to own that shit, dude! I'm sure there are plenty of people, here and on the short bus, who know you're a dick/*******. Just as there are an equal number of people who know you're a seasoned veteran who knows his shit and offers great advice. But saying you have yet to be a dick? Personally, I'm okay with it, so no worries!

· Registered
958 Posts
Now that's a classy response. You seem like a good dude. Best of luck, bro...
I would run a 2.5 but that's me on 42# inj a 2.9 is as low as i would go due to injector idc remember capacity and getting it bled is where its at a much over looked and cheap thing to do is a cobra Heat Exchanger

Oh come on! You've got to own that shit, dude! I'm sure there are plenty of people, here and on the short bus, who know you're a dick/*******. Just as there are an equal number of people who know you're a seasoned veteran who knows his shit and offers great advice. But saying you have yet to be a dick? Personally, I'm okay with it, so no worries!
a lot of people think im being a dick when im not and I have not yet been a dick maybe a bit of a smart ass but not a dick yet

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.