Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just recieved a bulletin that there are comp knuckles available through saturn. They also come with new alignment specs for comp driving. Part#88958710 lh side and #88958711 rh side. this might be good for people like spooner.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discard prior information in the other thread. I just pulled up the info and this is a quick overview. I'm at work so im looking at the actual screen in SI.

Bulletin # 06-03-08-001B (6/16/06) Availability of Steering Knuckles for Comp. Use

This bulletin is being updated to add models and model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-03-08-001A (Section 03 - Suspension).

05-07 Chevy Cobalt
05-07 Pontiac Pursuit
04-07 Ion, Ion Redline

This is to advise owners who intend to use their vehicles for competitive driving, of the availability of alternate steering knuckles, and to provide recommended alignment specifications for those owners who use their vehicles for competitive driving. These steering knuckles are available through GM service parts and are suggested for use on the Cobalt (Pursuit)/ION Redline. Refer to the Parts Information below for ordering instructions.

The following alignment settings provide for even tire wear in competitive driving.

Please use the following alignment specifications for competitive driving only:

Camber
Front
-1.5 .75 deg.

Rear
-1.5 .75 deg.

Caster
Front
3.65 .75 deg.

Toe
Front
.20 .5 deg.

Rear
.25 .5 deg.

Part # 88958710 LH Knuckle
88958711 RH Knuckle

There it is. GET EM!!! This is the updated bulletin. Let me know if you need anything else and I'll keep an eye out for any more updates!

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
So Sp00n, if these knuckles will work on our car, why wouldn't the control arms I posted yesterday work?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
vandy0419 said:
So Sp00n, if these knuckles will work on our car, why wouldn't the control arms I posted yesterday work?
Control arms on the Cobalt are longer...

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
what about the mounting locations (on the a-arms)? if they ar the same then you could use them...BUT.... if they are longer, you gotta get longer (stronger) axles

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Well I guess I'm the guinea pig for these! I ordered up a set which I'll be putting on next week. I'll post pics when I get em. I still wanna know what the difference is!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Stock: the Technical Service Bulletin# 06-06-04-051 regarding engine recalibration (i.e. an ECU reflash) of the Z0K Solstice
and Cobalt SS is not legal for Stock category use since it is specified for competition purposes and thus does not meet the requirements
of sections 13.0, 12.4, and 3.8.A (ref. 06-337).
The competition-only steering knuckles for the Cobalt, G5, and ION, as specified in Service Information Document #1864485,
also do not meet the requirements of the Stock category (ref. 03-363).

This is also useful to know... this is for solo2 scca. basically you can have, but you cannot use in stock class...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
MachIIIRayzor said:
So that's how to get a little extra negative camber:bigthumb:
Little extra? Lowered you already will have more than enough, throw the balt arms on there and it would probably surpass the reasonable adjustability, let alone if you are knowledgable in suspesnion dynamics, this would be a very bad idea in terms of the geometry angles of the suspension components.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Thats a good question, I guess I'll find out. The only thing I have been able to establish is they are stronger, other than that I don't know. I'll be taking side by side pics tomorrow if they come in.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Eco-Mod said:
Little extra? Lowered you already will have more than enough, throw the balt arms on there and it would probably surpass the reasonable adjustability, let alone if you are knowledgable in suspesnion dynamics, this would be a very bad idea in terms of the geometry angles of the suspension components.
Are you sure Eco?

-1 1/2 Degrees is a very noticable amount of negative camber. Given the low camber gain of a Mcpherson strut I'd be very surprised if a 1" drop alone would give you that. You would also burn up the inside edge of the tire in very short order on the street.

Pierre

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Pierre said:
That's because you're all blue and furry.

I tend to have more wear on the outside edge....

Pierre
I've peeled the inner tread off of two sets of tires already. Like to the point where the cords are showing on the inner edge, but there's plenty of tread on the outer edge, lol.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Shabodah said:
I've peeled the inner tread off of two sets of tires already. Like to the point where the cords are showing on the inner edge, but there's plenty of tread on the outer edge, lol.
Sorry I thought you were just jacking....

Toe out or too much negative camber. Or both.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
I thought the track might have something to do with it, too. I was squealing the tires through every turn, lol. I'm gonna get it aligned this week, since I just got tires on her on Thursday. Gotta get the bwoody rear bar on.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts