Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to remove my transmission to swap the clutch following GM Performance Division's guide...

I'm running into a problem with the steering U-Joint and shaft, it says to pry them apart and I can't figure out how, or it's stuck.

Any tips to make this part easier?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
put the bolt back in the steering shaft. its safer that way. ( if you disconnect it and spin the steering wheel you will fubar the clock spring in the airbag mechanism.) instead do this:
remove the rear engine mount complete, and then disconnect the 2 x 18 mm head rack bolts and the steering rack tie rods from the knuckle and drop the cradle leaving the steering rack hanging on the shaft it wont hurt it and its way faster to do the job this way

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
but to do it that way remove bolt and put a large pry bar or chisel and hammer the slot open a bit/ I hate doing that anymore which is why I suggest you do it differently

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
^^ that.

You can thread the seat belt through the steering wheel and latch it so it doesn't spin. put match marks on the steering intermediate shaft and the rack stem, but qwik's first suggestion is the best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts