Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went down to good guys and after bullshitting with a salesman there for about an hour he said he could get me a good quality system for $630 (12" infinity sub, sony amp, 2 sony xploid speakers for the front, 2 kenwood speakers for the back, and a new deck). I dont have my car right now, its in the shop...i have the premium sound package with the 6-in-dash cd changer...i was wondering if theyre going to put a new deck in, how would i still keep the 6 cd changer?...because they said they would have to take out the current setup and put an all new deck in (for best sound results)...and i dont know much about systems...are these good brands and a good price?...

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
if they change out the headunit the 6 disk in dash is part of that system. So no new deck. If he was a good salesman he can use your factory deck and amp and still utilize all new speakers for quality. You should take the headunit price out of the equation and add in better front speakers. Kappa perfect comps or Fosgate type x comps. And the back should dissapear. Any shop who reccomends back speakers knows nothing about quality sound. As for the 12's what series?

·
Registered
367 Posts
well i'm a fan of having rear speakers, one lil problem tho goofy ... the stock decks audio quality is NOT that good going into an amplifier, this is how i have mine going right now, i'm going to be changing it ASAP... i'm getting cost componenst from a friend though

Setups gunna be
JBL GTO series components up front (600 series i think...) , matching coax set in the back (stock locations but enclosed.) 2 JBL 1000w subs, amps amps amps blah blah blah... lol, you get the idea ^_^ i'd go better but these are the highest quality components he can get me at his work, and i'm getting about 50% off regular price :)

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I personally would try to first do all of these changes but KEEP the factory deck. The factory deck with the premium sound is already sending better than decent line level outputs to the UZ6 amp under the parcel shelf. Plus I too am not a fan of remote changers and the factory integrated changer w/ MP3 and RDS fits nice, and works great so why change it? (unless your into the mood lights and shit)

I wouldnt keep the factory amp in this case as they have fixed internal crossovers for the front and low band pass cutoff on the rears that have been specifically matched to the factory speakers. I doubt they would sound too good with the Sony/Kenwood combo.

So you would just substitute your premium sound amp with the Sony amp or amps (sub seperatte?) and add all the speakers FIRST. Then if you dont just love it have them swap a decent deck to prove to yourself that's it's not the weakest link. I believe you will find the fatory line level outputs are as good as any other, so you can then spend your money to move up a grade in the amp/speakers where the real improvements can be made.

Feel free to PM me if you need a wiring schematic for the UZ6 premium system to make it easier to hook these into the new amp/s

Regards
WopOnTour

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so all the rest (sub, amp, and speakers) are good quality and should work great without a new deck?...becasue if im spending over $600, i want my system to sound awesome with a lot of bass...

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
redlineRACER said:
so all the rest (sub, amp, and speakers) are good quality and should work great without a new deck?...becasue if im spending over $600, i want my system to sound awesome with a lot of bass...
You mean the new stuff you listed? How could we know? (You didnt post any model numbers or anything) But they probably are superior to the factory gear.I mean I know dudes that have spent over $600 just for interconnects, cabling and wiring...
WOT

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Infinity is an allright SUB.

Sony is a no-no. You'll waste your money.

See if he can get ya, Eclipse, Rainbow, JL, Kenwood, Xtant, JBL, etc.. If you can buy it in Best Buy, its not worth the money...

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
You forgot Polk
While I cannot condone their recent "rice-out" with MOMO- their stuff just sounds tremendous. We had a VUE in the other day done entirely Polk - 2 amps, 4x6.5" drivers 2 sweet tweets and a 2x12" band-pass enclosure sub. It was phenominal IMO and for a relatively low cost- $1500 total. Polk performance has always been good value (I use it in my HT setup)
JMO
WOT

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
as of now i have the factory 6 disk deck.

kenwood tweater installed.

6 inch JL's in the front doors

and stock 6 Inches in back

as of now, it sounds pretty decent.

think after the backs get JL's like the front things will sound better?

keith-

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
is the stock deck whats holding it back from really good sound?

and think getting the rear speakers replaced with JL's as well will help improve the sound?

keith-

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
SilverRedLine04 said:
is the stock deck whats holding it back from really good sound?
I would say so unless your deck is the UZ6 "Premium Audio" which forwards line level audio to a remote mounted amp beneith the parcel shelf. IMO it's pre amplification sound reproduction is on par with most aftermarket consumer decks, although I have no real numbers to back that up.
WOT

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
If you have the premium system why get rid of the best parts the headunit and the amp. They are setup to keep the sound where it need to be. A good sub for quality I like the Kappa Perfects. Im not a fan at all of the Infinity reference line or kappa standard lines. Fosgate is a name Run far far away. JL makes an excellent woofer as long as you look at the top series. A good amp will make a huge differnce in distortion as well.

Ideal setup for your 600

Kappa perfect comps in Doors with the combined tweeter in the pods where the stock ones are
JL or Perfect 10s they are punchy and can get real low. A high quality 10 can make a 12 look like a 8. And a great 1ohm stable 1000w mono amp for your lows. Can be easlily achieved for 600 and you can compete with this setup for both SQ and sheer over SPL.

As for the rear speaker comment you like them why? Because its louder. Wrong they ruin a sound stage. Get rid of them and put expensive fronts in. You wont even know they were gone. Show me one SQ setup car that uses rear speakers during a show.

Good luck and dont make stupid decisions on what your friends may tell you. 12s are better. Only in low quality subs of course more means better. But a High quality 10 will make the best low end 12 look like garbage.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
i have the best head unit, 6 disk mp3 but no premium sound

i put in my own tweater (kenwood)

6 inch JL speakers

stock rears

and the sound doesnt impress me.

im gonna try the jLs in the back to see if that helps anything

keith-

sub wise i was planning of doing a rca line out converter to a orian amp and 12 inch sub.

but since i didnt skimp on the components i may wait and buy a great headunit and do it all the right way.

what do you guys think, you heard my setup, and see im not as impressed as i should be.

where to go from here?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
goofyguy said:
If you have the premium system why get rid of the best parts the headunit and the amp.
Goofy I certainly dont dispute much of what you are saying. They only thing I have a problem with is keeping the factory UZ6 amp. The reason being (besides being under-powered) is it includes built-in active crossovers matched to the factory front driver/tweeter combo and treats the rears as woofer/sub with a low band pass cutoff that's again matched to the factory rears. I have been trying to get the range/response specs for this system from Delco for over a year, with no success. In my experiece replacing the speakers MAY sound like an improvement, but as you know without careful crossover/filter matching you just cannot get the most from a speaker.
WOT

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I didnt realize the system had a active crossover. Changable?

·
Registered
7 Posts
yo, i deal with this kinda of stuff everyday b/c i sell it all...all im gonna say is do not but sony, b/c there quality sux, go with alpine,pioneer, clarion, kenwood, something like that. And def change the head unit, you will notice such a power difference if u kept the stock deck in the car with a sub, and infinity is a good choice. your gonna lose the 6 disc changer if u change the head unit unless you get a alpine deck for example that has a really nice changer to go along with it, thats 6 disc, disadvantage is that its in the trunk...hopefully i helped...latas

·
Registered
7 Posts
one more thing, the car is prob gonna have to be re-wired b/c of the factory amp...a little more money but its def worth it with the sound quality difference, and if u can get an amp for the highs too

1 - 17 of 17 Posts