Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the odds I roll up to a light with these two insitgating eachother. Its a long light 3 lanes obviously. They are yelling back and forth playin with thier BOVS. I pull up and let them hear the supercharger and at that time they are both silent. I watch the turn signal like a hawk and ready myself. At this point theres so much adrenaline I can hardly see straight. Light changes and off we go. Before we are through the intersection I have the Lead by one on the STI and half on the EVO. Soo soon it all changes the 2nd gear hits and half way though the EVO is next and gaining like a mofo and the STI is making his way up. 3rd gear the evo is right in front and the STI is next to me. half way thorugh 3rd they are walking away. I love every second of it. Son of a bitch we catch the next light. The EVO driver in his 30s Id guess is asking all about my car. I love the evo and he loves the ION now. The STI driver not a word. Hes looking straight ahead avoiding all conact what so ever. Lights about to change this time the EVO prespools. The STI quiet. Light changes and the EVO is gone the STI once again behind me till 50 or so. Got beat both times in the long but the first gears I had him. The EVO on the second race was insane just gone he had me by 3 before frigin 50mph.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Anyone watching that race would be stone silent to watch a Saturn run with an Evo and an STi for any length of time! Good run! You'll get them next time after you get more dumped into yo ride!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seems strange that you would get the jump, but reflexes do count for a lot. And I have to say...nothing could top the feeling of winning a race in a Saturn...except mabye seeing the guy in the other car crying about it later. :D

·
Registered
541 Posts
BadCompany said:
Seems strange that you would get the jump, but reflexes do count for a lot. And I have to say...nothing could top the feeling of winning a race in a Saturn...except mabye seeing the guy in the other car crying about it later. :D

GOD.....that is soooo true!!!!! I am suprised as well at the response from the STi. Stock WRX I could see (I almost bought the STi), but an STi, I am impressed, and wishing I could have seen it!!

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
sounds like fun! hopefully somebody saw it and is now spreading some rumor about the fastest saturn they've ever seen!

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
jgb989989 said:
you must launch really good to beable to get those two
wanna teach me how?
Magic! Pure Magic!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
evo and STI guys prob didn't want to launch hard or didn't know how to. but good job keeping up :)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Good run, I think someone in this forum mentioned that AWD cars are sometimes a tad bit difficult to launch esp since the turbos take a bit to get spooled up. I'm sure there are those unimaginative idiots that will doubt your run based on all the magazine articles out there. Good run nonetheless :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
jgb989989 said:
you must launch really good to beable to get those two
wanna teach me how?
I find the flat out coolest thing in the RL is a good start. Sitting at the onramp (Minnesota has these crazy friggin' traffice lights at onramp/offramps turned on during rush hour) waiting for the light to change. Got a sweet start in first, and a little scratch in second. Man, was doing highway speed in nothing. Just get the feeling of the clutch and the gas. Feel the force Luke! ;)

-SpikemanRL

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
SpikemanII said:
I find the flat out coolest thing in the RL is a good start. Sitting at the onramp (Minnesota has these crazy friggin' traffice lights at onramp/offramps turned on during rush hour) waiting for the light to change. Got a sweet start in first, and a little scratch in second. Man, was doing highway speed in nothing. Just get the feeling of the clutch and the gas. Feel the force Luke! ;)

-SpikemanRL
Yea! We have those things here in Chicago too, same thing, only on during rush hour. I feel the same way too, it's like a staging lane, the ones I use all go downhill to, so you really get to blast out of them...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i get to every morning, except the one i use now is a turn...

wish we had a really long straight shot on my way to work, i'd go out of the way to use it!

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
like I said once the EVO sat there and prespooled for the light I stood no chance. He was just gone. The sti on the other hand was like he never drove a car before. A fast car will only win with a good driver.

·
Registered
674 Posts
SpikemanII said:

-SpikemanRL
SpikemanRL, where in the metro are you at?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yea im gonna call BULLSHIT. Im not an Redline hater or anything like that, but those cars are way too much for you to handle. Either they didnt know how to drive or you are modded and theyre bone stock. Off the line those cars would eat ur ass alive.

·
Registered
416 Posts
ProjectSRT said:
Yea im gonna call BULLSHIT. Im not an Redline hater or anything like that, but those cars are way too much for you to handle. Either they didnt know how to drive or you are modded and theyre bone stock. Off the line those cars would eat ur ass alive.
You should read the whole thread. One was a bad driver. Are you telling us you know for a fact that the guy in the sti wasn't a bad driver?

Put away your crack pipe then post.

·
Registered
291 Posts
ProjectSRT said:
how is bullshit if neither the evo or the sti revved it up to 5 grand and dropped it like it's hot then why couldn't the redline beat em off the line. clutches and tranny are expensive and both those drivers probly thought why waste my clutch/tranny on a saturn so of course they didn't launch it hard i wouldn't of

·
Registered
62 Posts
I def wont call bullshit, i actually believe you. That STI must have been one hell of a shitty driver, from a roll the STI still has alot more go then an RL. I have noticed though that alot of the STI drivers can't drive an awd car for the life of them. AWD is a great platform but terribly hard to drive. Getting the perfect launch in an AWD car is also alot harder then launching a fwd car. Its not just revving it up and dumping the clutch. That does work though but don't expect the tranny to last more then 15 mins. It seems to me the RL is not terribly hard to launch. It has decent power and torque to the wheels, enough so you can spin em but not enough to spin and hop the hell outa em, also a nice stiff suspention and sticky tires. With all that + a competent driver you can give an AWD car one hell of a run if he can't launch it correctly. The jump is everything, Getting the jump on the launch vs a car that is not that much faster from a roll will normally lead you to victory. The Evo is no joke either it sounds like he could actually drive his beast but didn't expect you to be as fast as you were. You caught him off gaurd giving you the jump and winning the race tell 50.

I have raced an Evo from a stop and a roll. From a roll we were dead even tell 75-80 mph when i started to pull very slowly. From a stop i pulled ahead about a carlength and stayed there until we shut down at 80 or so. He fubared his launch bad, i watched him bogg hard off the line while i had a near perfect launch.

Edit: btw i drive a 04 srt-4 if yah didn't already know :cool:

·
Registered
289 Posts
MotorMouth said:
SpikemanRL, where in the metro are you at?
I live in Plymouth. I have a '04 Blue RL with a Redline decal in the back windows, and supercharged emblems on the front rockers. If you are in the area, let me know. I have only seen one other RL since I bought mine in January. Peace!

-SpikemanRL

·
Registered
127 Posts
Drivers do matter. The whole point of doing the race is to combine what the car is and who is driving it. Otherwise, we would just all go and put signs with 1/4 time on the window and make fun of those who have slower time instead of racing them.

1 - 20 of 208 Posts