Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys. What would cause a brake caliper to stick. my drverside rear caliper is sticking. It only happens when I apply the brakes sharply or hard for a long time. after it happens it takes about a 1/4 mile or so to retract. This is the same caliper that I had freeze up on me last winter. If you guys have any info it would be awsome. I dont wanna go to the dealer AGAIN :( . Im getting really tired of it.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Dirt, crimped line, failure in the brake 'divider', etc... have they ever been apart before it happened the first time?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope Alls I did was paint the calipers. I masked real good though. I had the tire off today and was going to take the caliper off, but i couldnt break the bolt a gave up. Im gonna work on it again tommorrow. When I called my dealer today they sounded like they didnt want anything to do with me. Heck its not my fault the service department is so busy.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Have you ran anything over, or hit anything, have you checked the lines themselves? Do the rear brakes use the solid metal tubes for the fluid I assume? I had a buddies car, long ago, that did something similar, and it was from the brake line being smashed a bit. Crimped basically. If you didn't take it off, and it has never been off, I doubt there would be dirt in it.

What happened when it froze up before? Was this due to water freezing on/in it somehow, or more likely you mean it locked up similar to, but harder than, it's doing it now.

Has the dealer replaced anything so far?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last winter the wheel got glogged with a ton of snow. I didnt notice and drove a block on snow and ice covered roads before I stopped and cleared it with my scrapper. I was still stuck until I drove onto clear pavement and then it broke loose. I think the snow melted onto the brakes and froze when I parked it. It hasnt given me a problem up in till my last Auto-x and the drag strip. It has only happened once on the road when I was braking and turning left hard. The dealer has not replaced anything mechanical so far except for the recal. I wanna try to get this fixed befor racing school next Thurs.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Well, if you cant find ANYTHING wrong with the lines... you could just have something wrong with the caliper... not sure... too many possible answers.

What has the dealer done? Anything? Or just the "We can't re-create the problem..." line?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They havent looked at it yet. They want to make an appointment just to have it looked at. I think im just gonna drive up in there or another dealer. I am gonna check the lines tommorrow. I did run over a wrench a while ago and I heard it hit under my car and it was on the drivers side. Thanks for the suggestions. so quikly too.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I fixed it :p
I took the pins out that the outer pad rides on. Well one had a whole bunch of sludge on it and the other one had blue paint on it :rolleyes: .
I cleaned them up real good and put some anti seeze on em and reassembled.
I wont know for sure untill my next track day. I did pretty hard brakeing around the neiberhood with no problems. Those pins were nasty. I think I fixed the problem. :cool:

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
did you try spitting on them or seeing if you could have borrowed yrethguad's mouse and maybe he could have told you what was wrong to save you time, ....... ya know its a SUPER mouse right.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pclear9061 said:
did you try spitting on them or seeing if you could have borrowed yrethguad's mouse and maybe he could have told you what was wrong to save you time, ....... ya know its a SUPER mouse right.
Are you upset that I didnt take his advice in his last post :confused:

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
holy crap there is another page i wasnt even paying attention i thought you were the first post. ohh well

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.