Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey. Just did struts + shocks on my car (2006, 5 speed, 2.2, 80k miles).
The car drove amazing for a week until the shocks/struts wore in and loosened up more. Turned in better, had more bite and stayed more level out of the corners (KYB brand)

So my question:
What sort of aftermarket springs should I look at purchasing to give it more responsive handling and get rid of body roll on this stock suspension setup WITHOUT lowering it too much? (wisconsin snowfall and this is my daily driver)

I do already have a Progress sway bar on the back, but it doesn't seem to actually kick in until I pull the wheel hard during a corner. There is still plenty of uncomfortable body roll, especially when switching lanes, so I assume the stock spaghetti springs are the culprit?
I could also purchase a powell bar, but I didn't really feel welcome at their store.

Basically what do you guys think I should look at trying?
(eibach springs, ebay springs, B&G?...poly bushings? FE5 Struts?)

My ion is the stock 4 door sedan. I dont intend to make it LOOK good, just looking to get better handling out of it.

thanks.
-Joe

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
full FE5 suspension from an 08-10 cobalt SS/TC, SSC springs, roll bar is good choice, and fe5 control arms.
I have a similar set up on my 03 sedan and love it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
theyre aluminum, bigger bushing, stiffens the roll a bit. Swap the bushing to a spherical cab to roll corners better.
Thanks. Must be quite a bit of slop in the stock steel ones then.
Thats unfortunate.

So the SSC springs are about the same ride height. Are they stiffer than the stock springs?
Im actually just thinking about going with eibach progressive rate springs so its really good with corners.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have the ssc on my redline. Stiffer than the stock redline ones, so a lot stiffer than the sedan ones.
Ssc is a lowering spring. Think its a 1.25 in the front and 1.5 in the back. So more so squaring off the body

·
Registered
758 Posts
Go with the yyz springs. You will have to get the conversion kit from powell contract him here [email protected]
The fe5 control arms also make your camber alignment at -1 which is good for cornering. But some of the best improvement you will have is if you get new rims and tires. Go with what the stock redline has. But when you change all that you will have to have it reprogrammed so your speedometer is correct.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Then your vehicle will probably not going to ever handle as well as it can.

The only quirk with John is the lack of a proper online store.

He is the most knowledgeable person on this chassis and the parts he designs and produces are unmatched. Other vendors even go as far as (poorly) copying his designs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Then your vehicle will probably not going to ever handle as well as it can.

The only quirk with John is the lack of a proper online store.

He is the most knowledgeable person on this chassis and the parts he designs and produces are unmatched. Other vendors even go as far as (poorly) copying his designs.
My experience is that John doesn't exactly care about making any new sales.
I felt like I was trying to contact a family racing team who could care less about actually talking to their customers. I'm not going to give my hard-earned money to people who couldn't care less. Ok maybe your product is good, can I actually purchase it? How many people do I have to email, and how much comparatively do I need to pay for your stuff? ordering from them was a joke.

Not looking to make a track car, just wondering what others have done to theirs to make it more drivable in the past.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts