Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I read soemwhere on here that our stockers were 17 lbs. This may just be a figment of my imagination or some random dream. I searched and there was a general agreement of around 20 lbs.in one thread. Anybody know the accual weight. I just bought these http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...=2004&wd=17&pc=53013&rw=7&bp=5-110&vid=008907
Pretty good lookin wheels for the price.
They are replacing these
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...=2004&wd=17&pc=53531&rw=7&bp=5-110&vid=008907

These wheels are for my auto-x tires. The Vigors that I just bought are 28 lbs. I believe the stockers are lighter and if so I will use the stockers for auto-x.

·
Registered
617 Posts
You are correct! 16.5lbs to be exact.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well Consider Price at a dealer was listed at $370 Each. I don't forsee alot of people running back there to buy them....

Xau

and for clarification Mass is Different than Weight.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i assume the difference betweent he 16.5 and the 20.5 would be tire and air. the rims alone probably weigh 16.5

i'm pleasantly suprised how light they are though!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
alredline04 said:
I thought I read soemwhere on here that our stockers were 17 lbs. This may just be a figment of my imagination or some random dream. I searched and there was a general agreement of around 20 lbs.in one thread. Anybody know the accual weight. I just bought these http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...=2004&wd=17&pc=53013&rw=7&bp=5-110&vid=008907
Pretty good lookin wheels for the price.
They are replacing these
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...=2004&wd=17&pc=53531&rw=7&bp=5-110&vid=008907

These wheels are for my auto-x tires. The Vigors that I just bought are 28 lbs. I believe the stockers are lighter and if so I will use the stockers for auto-x.
NOOOOOO!!!! U bought the same wheels I was going to buy when I got back from my deployment. oh well Great minds think alike :eek:

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I am no scientist, but I don't think air adds weight, as air is already on the scale to begin with (unless your house is in a vaccum). The rubber would add weight though.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Yes air has weight.

"Does air weigh anything?
Everything on Earth weighs something because of gravity. Gravity pulls the mass of a thing toward Earth. At sea level, a cubic yard of air weights about 2 pounds. If you could collect the air in your school gym and weigh it, it would weigh over 6,000 pounds...that's allot of stuff!"

http://www.aero.hq.nasa.gov/edu/airmore.html

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
max_boost said:
Yes air has weight.

"Does air weigh anything?
Everything on Earth weighs something because of gravity. Gravity pulls the mass of a thing toward Earth. At sea level, a cubic yard of air weights about 2 pounds. If you could collect the air in your school gym and weigh it, it would weigh over 6,000 pounds...that's allot of stuff!"

http://www.aero.hq.nasa.gov/edu/airmore.html
Yes, air has mass/weight. But its effect is negligible in the limited volume of a typical passenger tire. This is a common bench racing topic as most race cars are filled with Nitrogen instead of air - not because it's lighter, but because its pressure is more constant across the temperature extremes a racing tire is exposed to. (There are a few other advantages)

But I remember a similar augment one night at the track about 15 years ago. One "newb-racer" fella had rigged an A/C vacuum pump (the same used to evacuate an A/C system - prior to re-charging) to remove as much of the "air" in his tires prior to inflating them to try and get as close to 100% Nitrogen as possible, because (he said) they would be "even lighter"
(everyone else would be using about 93-95% N2) He was even thinking of switching to Helium!! LOL

So over a few brewskys one night we talked him into weighing his slicks full of air, then "evacuated" them, fill them with N2, and weigh them again- Now the scale was only accurate to +/-1lb (quite accurate for a track scale at the time) but they weighed IDENTICAL!!

Sorry , just reminiscing a few good laughs...
Regards
WOT

Here’s a related, interesting read…
http://www.parker.com/ead/cm2.asp?cmid=9093&

·
Registered
252 Posts
but since this topic is getting fun...

MASS is constant weight can very ie you wiegh yourself at sea level you wiegh 1 thing, goto top of mountain something else when your MASS hasnt changed, this is due to gravity. (MASS takes gravity out of the equation)

ie you weight yourself on Jupiter (due to "Gravity" being much heigher") you will weight alot more

Suppose you weigh 100 pounds here on Earth. Would you like to know what you would weigh in different locations in space? Just look at this list. Earth - 100 lbs
Moon - 17 lbs
Mercury - 38 lbs
Jupiter - 236 lbs
Pluto - 7 lbs
the sun - 2407 lbs
a white dwarf - 130,000,000 lbs
a neutron star - 14,000,000,000,000 lbs
in a spaceship far out in space - 0 lbs http://www.edhelper.com/ReadingComprehension_27_21.html
Its all Physics....

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nukem said:
NOOOOOO!!!! U bought the same wheels I was going to buy when I got back from my deployment. oh well Great minds think alike :eek:
yeah Ill post a pick when they are installed.

I just wanted to know the weight of the wheel by itself with no tires. Cause that is all I know about the wheels I bought, which is 28 lbs. :eek: . ah well they were cheap.

Hey max the ones you are getting from me weigh 24lbs. and they are even cheaper than the ones I just bought lol.

I just wanted some decent looking wheels for the street.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
alredline04 said:
yeah Ill post a pick when they are installed.

I just wanted to know the weight of the wheel by itself with no tires. Cause that is all I know about the wheels I bought, which is 28 lbs. :eek: . ah well they were cheap.

Hey max the ones you are getting from me weigh 24lbs. and they are even cheaper than the ones I just bought lol.

I just wanted some decent looking wheels for the street.
When are you getting your new ones?

Did you find the center caps for those rims?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Lot's of folks are tossing around terms like weight and mass, the amount of weight (or mass) added to the tire+wheel assembly by air.

The air inside the tire is under higher pressure (32 psi) than ambient air (outside the tire, at a nominal 14.7 psi). A greater amount (mass) of air is compressed into that volume, compared to the mass of air the tire volume displaces. So, even though it is "only" air, it is higher density than ambient air at ambient air pressure. All assumptions based on pressures measured at ambient temperature

Given the total amount of air inside the tire (assume a tire volume of roughly 1.25 cubic ft.) at 32 psi, the air inside the tire would weigh roughly 0.163 pounds. Pretty negligible.

Now, re the air vs pure nitrogen...
Air is about 78% nitrogen, about 20% oxygen, and the remainder is argon, carbon dioxide, etc. To make calculations simple, let's just consider air as being composed of 80% nitrogen and 20% air. The atomic weight of nitrogen is 14, oxygen is 16.

Assuming an equal volume of air (this is a "quick and dirty" estimate... no time right now to get in Avogadro's Number and gram molecular weights, mols, etc.), the mass of air would be (0.8 x 14)+(0.2x16)=14.4 and nitrogen would be 1.0 x 14 = 14.

Now the difference between these is probably significant (14.4 vs 14.0) EXCEPT, there ain't a heck of a lot of gas (air or nitrogen) inside the tire to begin with. Using my values of about 0.163 pounds of air, that would amount to 0.158 pounds with an all nitrogen fill.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
We've got Bill Nye the Science Guy in the house....lol. Very very interesting though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts