Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look guys I am not preaching and I dig my redline but last nite two more 16 yr olds died while street racing in my area.I know most of you know how to handle you cars but the people you race may not and you may involve someone not even involved.I say just try to keep it at a deserted place with no traffic or a sactioned event.I just want everyone to be safe.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Ya gotta put a positive spin on it man. Just think of it as "thinning of the herd". With not so many human eating predators out there, our technological advances in medicine, and our ever-dwindling natural resources, I find that death by stupidity is a good way to thin out the people that don't know how to drive their vehicles. The only thing I say is if yer gonna take someone out, please make it the tool in the left hand lane that is going the same speed as everyone else instead of merging right with slow traffic. Oh and I'm just kidding n stuff........Be responsible and stay n school n all that other warm-fuzzy stuff. :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
for real...

i know exactly what u mean...i have always felt "safe" while racing except for once. i was racing an audi a4 1.8 turbo...that f***** did not know how to drive! he kept swerving in front of traffic when there was no reason to and accelrating and braking hard for no reason, after he came to close to my baby, i turned and got the f*** away from him. There are some "racers" out there that dont know how to drive and no way in hell should have a fast car. Be safe out there everyone.

"Think Twice Act Once NO Regrets"

i live by this and everyone else should to.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
i've raced two TC's through the windy's. One spun out and did a 180, i'm lucky I sensed he was going to lose it and I backed off. The other one almost side swiped me, i said **** it and stayed behide him and than he fish tailed like crazy out of a turn. I saw him at a light and he looked so embarrassed.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm all for the Darwin Award winners leaving the herd, but you have to show some compassion here, folks. My sons are 18 and 19, and no matter how stupid an act they committed, I can't imagine losing either if them. Those dumbass 16 year olds who died in Missouri left a mom and dad and family and friends at school.

I lost a good friend of mine in 1980, when I was 16, and his brother, 17 (the driver), lost both his legs while racing his Mustang against a Trans Am on the way to school. What a waste of a good kid's life, all for some stupidity.

Take it to the track.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
TXRLU said:
Ya gotta put a positive spin on it man. Just think of it as "thinning of the herd". With not so many human eating predators out there, our technological advances in medicine, and our ever-dwindling natural resources, I find that death by stupidity is a good way to thin out the people that don't know how to drive their vehicles. The only thing I say is if yer gonna take someone out, please make it the tool in the left hand lane that is going the same speed as everyone else instead of merging right with slow traffic. Oh and I'm just kidding n stuff........Be responsible and stay n school n all that other warm-fuzzy stuff. :D

thinning the world thats great. yeah a un experienced driver should he be so stupid to race on the streets should result in a crash. I just hope that only the racers were hurt and nobody that was just minding their own business.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Man, I don't even know what to say. On the one hand, I agree that street racing is fun, and to a point educational. No other form of driving will allow you to know YOUR limits, which is really what it's all about. On the other, I have a 9 year old, and if he does HALF the stupid stuff I did growing up, I'll be very suprised he sees his 18th birthday. Not somthing I like thinking about. Espescially considering how much of his father's son he really is. I think I might beat his butt the first time I hear he's been racing on the street........

·
Registered
252 Posts
Whats a good solutions? I know i have done quite a few street races.. Current plans are for some scca solo.. but for pure drag racing, there are very few options where i live. the other catch, is $$$$ most kids who race, are trying to keep it cheap... if drag strips were offered for a low price say 5$ a run, or $20 for the night, how popular would it be? not just with the kids, but adults, and would have to be open late.... for the 1am - 2am racers.

Xau

·
Registered
681 Posts
That's what San Diego is doing - they have a track that is sponsored - all you need is $20 and a car that will pass tech. Bad thing is, funding is running out...

Of course, I know LOTS of street racers who basically just talk a bunch of shit about how bad their car is - if they went to a REAL track and got a REAL timeslip, everyone would know they can't really drive and their car is a 17 second POS.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
That's what San Diego is doing - they have a track that is sponsored - all you need is $20 and a car that will pass tech. Bad thing is, funding is running out...

Of course, I know LOTS of street racers who basically just talk a bunch of shit about how bad their car is - if they went to a REAL track and got a REAL timeslip, everyone would know they can't really drive and their car is a 17 second POS.
Haha so true, one great thing about the track is proof, its just a better way, no obstacles, no worries, just wait for the light and go! Street racing for some is a way of being "cool" in car groups and having fun, but you can also have as much fun on the track. Truthfully most modded cars out there are very lightly modded, id say about 75% of people who tune their cars, tune them lightly if anything.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
i know exactly what u mean...i have always felt "safe" while racing except for once. i was racing an audi a4 1.8 turbo...that f***** did not know how to drive! he kept swerving in front of traffic when there was no reason to and accelrating and braking hard for no reason, after he came to close to my baby, i turned and got the f*** away from him. There are some "racers" out there that dont know how to drive and no way in hell should have a fast car. Be safe out there everyone.

a fucking black civic with side decals fucking slamed on his brakes on me, i wasnt even racing! i was on the way to college and i put 79 on the cruise control and was in the slow lane, this civic flys past me and get in front, i just stay on cruise, well i start to creep up on him so i turn off cruise and go to 4th gear well he fucking slams on his brakes...

it SUCKED!

i wasnt down with that so i lost him asap.

keith-

·
Registered
764 Posts
Live thread, LIVE!

·
Registered
253 Posts
well I usually race in contained environments on the street... And its always really late at night and never in traffic... If something were to go wrong, it would be my life lost, not some family traveling in their mini-van...

2nd, as far as taking it to the track, people have kind of shed a little light on the matter. I honestly feel that this area doesn't want to promote that either. 3 years ago there was 3 tracks(2 1/4 miles and an 1/8th mile) within 35 miles of me... Now there is a crappy 1/8th mile that is open only on Thursdays that you would be better off trying to launch on gravel... The road we race on is a concrete bridge out in the freakin' middle of no where... the bridge itself is exactly on mile long(there are 3 lanes on each side, the bridge splits in the middle so its actually 2 bridges running parallel)... The land itself is government owned and the only cops who ever patrol it are park rangers, though they don't patrol it late at night on weekends, so all is good)...

there has been racing there since the bridge went up(way before my time and I'm 20) and it seems that everyone knows what goes on there... In fact I know of a few local policemen who have ran their cars there before(and A LOT who used to race there)...

They cracked down about 5 years ago after some drunk crashed a few miles down the road and his parents blamed the street racing, but it is now back to the old way of business on weekends...

The local track tried a "street wars" thing on saturdays to get people away from there and on the track, but then the local authorities started setting up road blocks a few miles from the track and we just pricks about it, so no one went and it ended soon afterward... Had the authorities did the right thing AND PROMOTE IT, it probably would have succeeded, and with the flock of cars coming in, they could have afforded to fix the track, meaning more cars, more money, less street racing...

makes sense to me...

·
Registered
819 Posts
theres always a risk involved with street racing...on another car forum I frequent they don't even allow street racing posts to discourage this type of behavior.

its extremely fun to go all out in any car but I bet you would feel extremely stupid if you caused a wreck. Its the type of thing that you continue to do and hope nothing happens even though you know you shouldn't be doing it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I dont know about u guys but i have been involded in a wreck street racing, everyone was fine but a car.

I was drive my 1992 Toyota Celica GT, my GF at the time was in a 1989 toyota celica GT.

We were at the normal Race spot, a road with almost no traffic that time of night.

Well no one was racing really that night so we decided to kick start it.
A lot of people were there just the normal BSing.

i lined up in the left lane her in the right.
Now my Celica has just about everything but motor swap, hers had like an intake and exausht.
We both know i could beat her so i wasnt even really trying, we were even about 1/2 way down and noticed head lights coming.

Well she moved over a bit so i could move over and we could still race, well i backed off and fell down behind her. she kept going, now at the finish line there is a street light, well there is also a concrete turn devided as high as a curb, and she hit that at 90ish MPH with both right wheels.

Looking back was a really stupid move on her part, and she was a veteran racer at the local track racing a ols 442 smi pro.

Just because your a Vet at racing doesnt mean your untouchable, just got to be smart, and responsible, had she just shut it down it would have saved her like $2K in rims tires struts ect, had she rolled the car like it wanted to(I saw it, it did) could have cost her her life.

Just my .02

Just so yall know i still do go out there once in a while, but im always in the left lane ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts