Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who will be interested in fiberglass sub boxes once I get a mold made? I will make them to fit nicely in the left and right side of the trunk, any size sub is good for me. I can also make NICE center fiberglass setups but they will definately be on an order basis. Cost will be about $175 per sub. I just need to know how many people will be interested SERIOUSLY! I will start collecting deposits at the beginning of July. they will look just like this:
http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2672

This will be 7 layers of fiberglass and will be carpeted or ready to paint. Paint will be slightly more due to the fact that it takes alot more to smooth the box to prep for paint. All I'm looking for it s SERIOUS count on how many people will be interested. They should fit any Ion QC.

Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
I am in for at least one, probably 2. I should be able to come up with some cash by then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
that looks mighty good, how much volume per enclosure? how do you fasten the enclosure to the trunk? how long will it take from start to finsh for you to produce them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
As far as volume, i plan on making them to order so i will make each box to the volume your sub calls for or whatever you want. Mounting could be tricky, I've seen people use velcro before, it won't keep the box put if you get hit, but it will for most everything else if you use enough. I'll have to take a look in the trunk to see if there is another way. I'll take the donor car with me to pick out some carpet so the boxes will match the factory carpet as close as possible.

I could also do center boxes for 2 12's maybe 3 10's but they will be really heavy and I really wouldn't want to ship them. They would also have to be on a made to order basis and you will have to pay all shipping.

I'd expect about 2 weeks turnaround and I will start making them when I take a deposit. The deposit will be to get things rolling and the balance will be due when they're ready to ship. Like I said, it shouldn't take but 2 weeks at most for turnaround and that's as long as I don't get really busy at work. Paint prepped boxes may take longer because tehy require ALOT more sanding and finishing to make them look right.

Any other questions keep 'em coming! I'm hoping to have a mold by mid July so they'll be ready shortly after.

Josh

I can do these for pretty much any car as long as I have a donor car to get measurements and stuff from. If there is something you want to see, let me know, I can be creative. The bigger the item, the harder it is to get everything right and the more it's going to cost to ship.
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Remember guys, the battery and spare are under the trunk floor, so it has to be removeable. There is a 'sump' on each side of the trunk that could be used. I think that's sort of where the Cobat puts the optional sub at. The bottom part could fit into the sump, and some velcro or a single bolt could hold it in place. If it's easy to access the bolt, something similar to what holds the jack/spare to the floor of the trunk, it would be perfect. For a side-style mounting, that is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,140 Posts
hopefully you stick around. no sound mods till after the wedding for me, but i'd like the side style mounts so, as spooner said, i can still get to the spare/jack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Man I would love it if you could glass a 3 pod A-pillar. A full pillar would just finish off my ride and be friggen AWESOME. *even though the side curtai airbags blah blah blah, but if there is a pilar on there now, then what the hell is the diference*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sp00ner said:
Remember guys, the battery and spare are under the trunk floor, so it has to be removeable. There is a 'sump' on each side of the trunk that could be used. I think that's sort of where the Cobat puts the optional sub at. The bottom part could fit into the sump, and some velcro or a single bolt could hold it in place. If it's easy to access the bolt, something similar to what holds the jack/spare to the floor of the trunk, it would be perfect. For a side-style mounting, that is.
I was thinking about this, I've never taken a look in your trunk so it's hard to say. I've seen stereo shops hold big wood boxes in place by screwing long wood screws through the bottom of the box and into the bottom of the trunk. And that was a really nice stereo shop. I think my preference would be the velcro because it would be easy to remove.

A 3 pillar pod could be do-able... but that's going to take me a few weeks probably, start to finish. I'd have to have someones pillar to start with, and I don't know if I'd want to mess with that for those of you with side curtains. Something like that would be easy and hard at the same time, fairly easy to make the mold and stuff, hard for me to get it all facing the direction it's needed without having an Ion to try it out on. Is there anywhere else inside the car that a pod would look nice?

uhhh, I need to get my redline!

Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
purplesl2 said:
Is there anywhere else inside the car that a pod would look nice?
Make me a single pod for the top of the steering column and I would be a happy camper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
jeepin79 said:
Make me a single pod for the top of the steering column and I would be a happy camper.
What is the diameter or the boost guage? Don't they already have a cup for boost guage to go there? If not, I'm sure you can get it from saturn soon with the comp packages coming out.

Vita, I'll be around. I've been in the saturn scene for 4 years and I'm not going anywhere. Even if I sold my car and didn't ever buy another saturn, I'd probably still hang around here, saturnspeed, and TSN.

Josh

BTW, I will post pics of the ACTUAL product after I finish the 1st one. I would by no means expect you guys to pay for something without seeing pics of it first! I know I wouldn't buy anything without pics!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
purplesl2 said:
What is the diameter or the boost guage? Don't they already have a cup for boost guage to go there? If not, I'm sure you can get it from saturn soon with the comp packages coming out.

Vita, I'll be around. I've been in the saturn scene for 4 years and I'm not going anywhere. Even if I sold my car and didn't ever buy another saturn, I'd probably still hang around here, saturnspeed, and TSN.

Josh

BTW, I will post pics of the ACTUAL product after I finish the 1st one. I would by no means expect you guys to pay for something without seeing pics of it first! I know I wouldn't buy anything without pics!
The steering column POD for the comp package also has a ladder tach on each side of the guage. Its not bad but you have to buy it all together and its like $225 for the whole deal. Plus it is an electric guage which no one that I know of has been able to make work correctly. I have a pod for the column but I would like one molded into the column cover. I dont like the "add on" look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jeepin79 said:
The steering column POD for the comp package also has a ladder tach on each side of the guage. Its not bad but you have to buy it all together and its like $225 for the whole deal. Plus it is an electric guage which no one that I know of has been able to make work correctly. I have a pod for the column but I would like one molded into the column cover. I dont like the "add on" look.
If you can find me a cover to play with, I can see what I can come up with.

JOsh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
I will see how much they run from the dealer. If its not a lot of money I will pick one up and send it to you.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top