Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Saturday night I was out driving around in my home town and this kid that I've only met a few times pulls me over and tells that one of his friends is on his way here from another town, strickly to come and race me. Well, the kid shows up and I see that it's an '02 or 03' Mustang with a full body kit and a different spoiler(the car did actually look pretty good). We both pull over in a parking lot and when he looks over at me, he kinda gives me that cocky smile that he just knows he's gonna blow my doors off, I'm sure ya'll have gotten that look before. He gets out of his car and puts his ear up to the front end and says "My supercharger is louder than yours". When he said that, I thought to myself, well I may not win this one, of course, I was assuming it was a V-8 with a supercharger. Anyway, we get out to our racing spot which is about 150 feet longer than a 1/4 mile and there are three other cars out there full of this guys friends. More or less, this guys car is "the shit" in his town. We take off and I completly suck at launching still so he jumps about 2 1/2 lengths on me. I go all the way through 2nd gear and close the gap by only a car length. Now is where it got interesting because I figured that he would have a better top end than me because of the larger motor. Not the case. By the time I'm shifting into fourth, my front end is at about the back of his door. In the end, I beat him by about 2 feet(there's a sign we race to) and needless to say, he wasn't very happy. He spent God knows how much money on the supercharger, which was pushing about 8 psi, exhaust, intake and whatever else he had done to it. I can't say I'd be excited about getting beat by a stock Saturn! :D By the way, this was my first actual race.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Right on, kick ass and take names. I fund it funny that they went through such a big ordeal to get you 2 to line up, and then you walk him. Work on your launches and make him cry . . .
nice smackdown

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Good job man, it's hard to not over-rev these things on launch!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
how much hp was he making? A stock mustang V6 makes 200 hp. So I would expect with 8 psi and intake, cams and exhaust it would make 300 or more hp at the wheels? The car weighs in around 3100 lbs stock, add a little extra for the supercharger but he should have been healthily more powerful than you. The only thing I would think of is if he mucked the launch but you said he got the hole shot. I guess anything really can happen on the street.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
clownhair said:
how much hp was he making? A stock mustang V6 makes 200 hp. So I would expect with 8 psi and intake, cams and exhaust it would make 300 or more hp at the wheels? The car weighs in around 3100 lbs stock, add a little extra for the supercharger but he should have been healthily more powerful than you. The only thing I would think of is if he mucked the launch but you said he got the hole shot. I guess anything really can happen on the street.
I didn't think that they made 200hp in the V6 for that year, not sure though. Besides, you're taking the owners word on what mods are in the car, right before a race. Of course he could be talking shit! 3,100 for a Mustang seems a little light as well. For him to get 300 whp, he would need to be making somewhere in the area of 375+ to get 300 down at the rear wheels in a Mustang too. So you have a 200hp engine, a supercharger, (was there an intercooler?), and some possible engine mods. I don't think he's hitting 350+ engine horsepower.

On top of everything else, you have no idea who did the work on his car. He could be some idiot that did everything wrong designing and installing the stuff for his set-up, or the place that did it could have been clueless. How many supercharged V6 Mustangs are there out there?

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Good kill!!!

I can't imagine why someone would spend the money to supercharge a V6 stang though.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Sp00ner said:
I didn't think that they made 200hp in the V6 for that year, not sure though. Besides, you're taking the owners word on what mods are in the car, right before a race. Of course he could be talking shit! 3,100 for a Mustang seems a little light as well. For him to get 300 whp, he would need to be making somewhere in the area of 375+ to get 300 down at the rear wheels in a Mustang too. So you have a 200hp engine, a supercharger, (was there an intercooler?), and some possible engine mods. I don't think he's hitting 350+ engine horsepower.

On top of everything else, you have no idea who did the work on his car. He could be some idiot that did everything wrong designing and installing the stuff for his set-up, or the place that did it could have been clueless. How many supercharged V6 Mustangs are there out there?
They did indeed make the mustang 200 hp. The 3100 lbs seems light because it is a v6. The v8 weighs more inline of 3350 lbs. The sc alone should put him fairly close to the 300 mark if not slightly over and the cams and exhasut should shoot it well over the mark. Also I am not taking the owners word, I am taking the word of Justin who says he had sc,cai,exhaust and cams.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
clownhair said:
They did indeed make the mustang 200 hp. The 3100 lbs seems light because it is a v6. The v8 weighs more inline of 3350 lbs. The sc alone should put him fairly close to the 300 mark if not slightly over and the cams and exhasut should shoot it well over the mark. Also I am not taking the owners word, I am taking the word of Justin who says he had sc,cai,exhaust and cams.
Right, so you're taking the word of someone twice removed from the source. You said it yourself, if he's running all that equipment, then he should be running faster. Look at a GranPrix. The stock engine makes 200 hp without the supercharger, and the supercharged versions were only putting out 260. All I'm saying is that if you believe his story, then the Mustang isn't putting down 300+ rwhp...

Edited: The stuff I just looked up says 190hp for the v6, and 3350 lbs for the V6, just under 3500 lbs for the V8.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Right, so you're taking the word of someone twice removed from the source. You said it yourself, if he's running all that equipment, then he should be running faster. Look at a GranPrix. The stock engine makes 200 hp without the supercharger, and the supercharged versions were only putting out 260. All I'm saying is that if you believe his story, then the Mustang isn't putting down 300+ rwhp...

Edited: The stuff I just looked up says 190hp for the v6, and 3350 lbs for the V6, just under 3500 lbs for the V8.
where did you look for the weight? This is straight from carpoint.
Coupe Trims
Standard Deluxe Premium GT Deluxe GT Premium
Curb Weight - Automatic (lb.) 3175 3175 3175 3317 3317
Curb Weight - Manual (lb.) 3114 3114 3114 3273 3273

Maybe you looked at convertibles?

Also to your grand prix analogy. The difference of that is the sompression ratio in the pistons is less in the sc model. 8.5 as opposed to 9.4. The mustang would have its stock compression.

Also to his stated mods, you are right I am taking 2nd hand knowledge that is conveyed to me through Justin. The reason he stated these is because he either a: believed he had them or b: didn't believe him but posted the mods anyways to make the kill seem more impressive.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
clownhair said:
where did you look for the weight? This is straight from carpoint.
Coupe Trims
Standard Deluxe Premium GT Deluxe GT Premium
Curb Weight - Automatic (lb.) 3175 3175 3175 3317 3317
Curb Weight - Manual (lb.) 3114 3114 3114 3273 3273

Maybe you looked at convertibles?

Also to your grand prix analogy. The difference of that is the sompression ratio in the pistons is less in the sc model. 8.5 as opposed to 9.4. The mustang would have its stock compression.

Also to his stated mods, you are right I am taking 2nd hand knowledge that is conveyed to me through Justin. The reason he stated these is because he either a: believed he had them or b: didn't believe him but posted the mods anyways to make the kill seem more impressive.
I'm not taking anything away from either of you guys, just like to debate a bit too much. I also found curb weights that ranged from the numbers you have listed above all the way to 3545lbs. Just depended on the site. The biggest numbers, I believe, correspond to the Cobras with the supercharger and all that good stuff. I'll shut up, it was a little pointless of me to even start to debate anything in someone else's kill post! Sorry Justin! I think it was the Camaro/Vette owner coming out in me, just had to take something away from the Mustang!

·
Registered
291 Posts
i looked at edmunds.com they have for a 2000 ruststang v6 curb weight is 3069lbs and there CRANK hp is 190 now as for what it's acctually putting down the the wheels thats a diffrent story any one else have any idea on this, how about our in house mustang guy

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Justin said:
More or less, this guys car is "the shit" in his town.

You forgot the most important part of the story. What did his friends have to say about the "big fish" being fillet'd?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TXRLU said:
You forgot the most important part of the story. What did his friends have to say about the "big fish" being fillet'd?

It was actually kind of funny because I went back to where all of his friends were sitting before he got back and I said something along the lines of "Didn't think the stock Saturn had a chance did ya" and they laughed. I was pretty suprised they weren't acting like assholes.

As far as the mods go on his Mustang, i/e and the supercharger (not intercooled). BUT, when I looked under the hood, after I told him that I was completly stock, he said that he was completly aftermarket. This also makes sense because the next day I told a few friends about it and they said that at one time he was running nitrus. Now, I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but if you're gonna run nitrus, you have to build up the motor, otherwise you're gonna kill it quickly. Like it or not damn it, I beat him!!! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not trying to bash anyone and these are very ruff numbers.

A 3069lbs Rear Wheel Drive car that has 190HP at the crank will get between 140-160 to the wheels stock (Transmission, Driveshaft, Rearend, Althitude, Tempature etc... at play a factor in that too.). Figuring the supercharger at 8psi and it being a Vortech (that matters too) its only going to get 225-245 at the wheels even though it may make 280 at the crank.

Rear wheel drive cars loss between 30-60 horse power from the crank to the wheels, due to the extra weight of crap (ie. drive shaft and other things of that sort) because it "Bigger" and "Longer". The loss could be more and it could be less.

·
Registered
30 Posts
mustangs are just slow it shouldnot be that hard to dust a souped up gt if you can hit high 13's

Brett

·
Registered
595 Posts
I am gonna have to go with clownhair. This guy must not known how to drive or was set up wrong. A v6 is around 3200 lbs and makes 192 horsepower and 220 lbs of torque. A 5 speed with a cold air intake and minor exhaust work, with a good driver can run 14.9. Factor a supercharger in there..i am thinking low 14's for sure. But if he cant drive or didnt have it tuned right then that might make him lose.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mbhmustang98 said:
I am gonna have to go with clownhair. This guy must not known how to drive or was set up wrong. A v6 is around 3200 lbs and makes 192 horsepower and 220 lbs of torque. A 5 speed with a cold air intake and minor exhaust work, with a good driver can run 14.9. Factor a supercharger in there..i am thinking low 14's for sure. But if he cant drive or didnt have it tuned right then that might make him lose.
To be honest, I think that it was slightly out of tune. But you also need to consider the fact that he had a full body kit, aftermarket spoiler, a different (heavier) hood and what ever else that I didn't see. He wasn't at stock weight. My guess is that he was somewhere around 200 to 300 pounds over stock weight. Hell, it could be even more than that. Personally, I don't know or care. A win is a win. I'll take it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
To me the funniest part about this is the fact that the guy went out and bought a V-6 mustang, spent money on the supercharger and body kit/other stuff from what was said.....spend the money and get a real V-8 mustang.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts