Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Serious question:
I just wanted to say that I started to learn about "cars" when I got my redline. I was never into cars or sports cars. I never did any "work" to my cars other than checking the oil and fluids.

So there are many kits available to tune up the Supercharger, There is the oil, mechanical parts (pulley & belt and end piece), hoses, throttle body, electrical sensors, etc .Theres a lot that can be "maintained".

I was just curious if one knows how to do the basic check of the oil. Something I never got to doing. Can it be checked accurately or does one need to pump out the oil and replace it with the correct amount? Does the oil volume decrease with time or does the volume remain the same? I don't know whether heat has an affect on the volume and perhaps this would contribute to an evaporation. I don't know if the heat is a factor.

I have heard many years ago that the oil is good for the "life" of the car so ...any way

I may have been hestitant because the oil smells very bad

please lets have a discussion.

Super Moderator
I changed mine when I got my car with 124k on it. Drained the oil. Changed the coupler. And put the recommended amount back in (dont remember off hand)
Zzp sells a kit with the coupler, oil, and a syringe thingy to do all that. Well worth the piece of mind

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response goaliemo... ZZP is great I just got some more stuff from them recentlly.

So I would guess that from what you you said there is no way of accurately checking the volume of oil in the "container"

The only way to be sure the oil volume is correct is to remove it and replace with the recommended volume of oil.

I think it was a member or two here on the forum from several years ago that said it was not necessary to change the oil but apparently it is recommended by the stores/companies selling the kits.

Super Moderator
From what I remember thats really the only way to know for sure.
According to GM it is supposed to last the life of the vehicle. So who really knows how often it should truly be chnaged

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to GM it is supposed to last the life of the vehicle. So who really knows how often it should truly be chnaged
If GM said that then at least we know then that they don't expect the oil to evaporate

thanks for the feedback 馃弳

Registered
When I got my RL, I checked the snout oil and it was low. I topped it off with 5w30 synthetic. At some point I will replace the bearings, sometime.

Super Moderator
Supercharger oil came with my kit. But I believe you can walk into a Chevy stealership and just buy some

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I got my RL, I checked the snout oil and it was low. I topped it off with 5w30 synthetic. At some point I will replace the bearings, sometime.
How did you know it was low?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

I may do it but I would like to get a long cord on the pump ...there is someone online who made a video and the supercharger almost ate and digested the cord,

Registered
How did you know it was low?
I used a hex wrench to get the check/fill plug out and then put the short end of the hex wrench into the hole. There was no oil on the end of the wrench, so I put a couple of ounces in until it tried to dribble out.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used a hex wrench to get the check/fill plug out and then put the short end of the hex wrench into the hole. There was no oil on the end of the wrench, so I put a couple of ounces in until it tried to dribble out.
thanks that helps - so I would guess that too much of the SC oil is not a problem.

It would be nice to have a manual for the supercharger to look up the container volume and oil volume. There probably was one of those at Saturn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts