Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I'm picking up a silver 2005 RL tonight to surprise my 16 year old with his first car. We've never owned a Saturn but I've heard they're reliable vehicles and the Ion coupe really caught his attention. I'm sure he'll be excited when it pulls in the driveway.

The car is about 3 hours away by train and I haven't had a chance to see it or drive it myself yet. A trusted family member in the area kindly did that for me, so I wouldn't waste half a day getting there and back for nothing. I'll admit I'm nervous, but I'm also really excited to be getting behind the wheel of this car myself. From what I've been reading as I researched this purchase it's going to be a really fun car to drive.

Glad to find a forum that shows these cars are well-loved and appreciated. If you have any tips or advice for my new driver about keeping the RL running smoothly I'll gladly share your wisdom.

-Jen

·
Super Moderator
1,831 Posts
That is going to be fun! And happy to see people still teaching this next generation to drive a standard!

Post some pictures and mileage when you get the chance! We can def help make with whatever it may be!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speedometer Gauge Automotive lighting Trip computer Automotive design

Pretty much hit the jackpot on mileage after taking my son around the neighborhood. Next stop - Vegas! Ha!

It runs and drives smooth, no big issues. The seller had kept all the maintenance paperwork the original owner gave him and passed it to me along with receipts for parts he'd replaced. He also included a set of studless snow tires.

My son - ecstatic. I got home after dark so we don't have good photos to share yet, but he is over the moon excited.

-Jen

·
Super Moderator
1,831 Posts
Lower miles, too! That's awesome!
Make sure oil gets changed every 3k. These engines are prone to timing chain tensioner failure with lack of oil changes. And if he ever hears a rattle on start up, get the timing chain done immediately otherwise it'll need an engine.
Really besides that, control arm bushings are a failing point. And if you're up north, one of the fuel rails get eaten up by salt pretty quick.
Besides that, one of the most reliable cars I have ever had. I've personally owned 8 Ions. And they usually died from me doing dumb stuff modifying them.

Congratulations again!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Welcome! I have had my redline since new in 2006 and have 255k miles and counting! It has been a great car overall and it's definitely showing it's age , but i will keep it until it physically blows up lol

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Welfoke to the forums and glad to see another redline in the hands of someone that enjoys it. Check your papper work for a nee intercooler (charged air) pump. If it has not been replaced might want ro just make sure it still works. They are prone to siing and half the 05s made where wired backword.

·
Registered
2007 IRL, magnaflow catback, coilovers, carbon wing, alum splitter, zzp 2.5" header&dp, ZZP Stage 3
38 Posts
Welfoke to the forums and glad to see another redline in the hands of someone that enjoys it. Check your papper work for a nee intercooler (charged air) pump. If it has not been replaced might want ro just make sure it still works. They are prone to siing and half the 05s made where wired backword.
To add to this, you might as well buy the upgraded higher flowing ZZP (zzperformance is the go-to for aftermarket parts for this car) intercooler pump over the bosch one, only 15$ more and will make the intake temps that much cooler, which is very important.

Also, if on a cold start the supercharger sounds like a bag of rocks, the plastic supercharger coupler needs to be replaced, along with the supercharger oil. ZZP makes an upgraded coupler for 20$, more durable and is futureproofing as well if you ever decide to bump the power later on.

ZZP has made lots of videos on working on these cars, plenty of tutorials and whatnot. Welcome to the club!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts