Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me some step by step instructions on how to replace the front sway bar on an 04 Ion RL? I have replaced the CV axle and both wheel bearings so the dealer said that it shouldnt be much harder than doing one of those jobs.

·
The Professor
3,821 Posts
Um... your dealer lied to you. The whole front subframe needs to come down in order to get it out.

Just a question, though.. why does your sway bar need replaced?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I turn to the right it makes a grinding rubbing noise and thats why I replaced the wheel bearings and cv axle to start but it didnt fix the problem so I took it took the dealer and they said that the bushings and stops had gone bad and now my sway bar is sliding around the bottom of my car when I turn and its rubbing which is causing the noise, so I assume this isnt an easy task?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Me (and a few others who knew a little more) replaced the clutch so I couldn't imagine that we cant do this, I just need to know how hard it is and whats involved, for the clutch I was able to find a complete GM manual on how to remove it, with pictures:)

·
Registered
758 Posts
i had a similar issue with my sway bar ( i think ) you only need to replace the bushings. its fairly simple to do just not alot of room. to test if your sway bar bushings are bad... while the car is parked and making sure it will not move get under the car and grab the sway bar and move it back and forth between the wheels. if there is alot of movement your bushings are starting to wear..

i replaced my bushings and still had movement and my fix was 6-8 wraps of electrical tape around the bar were the bushings were.. ghetto fix but that was 9 months ago and it still is holding so.???? it also might be your intermediate shaft starting to go.. start with the bushings and go from there... hope this helps

·
Registered
758 Posts
one last thing you should also check your other suspension components struts, top hat assembly ( the bearing inside of assembly) and endlinks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, ill try just the bushings first. They said that those were bad but also the whole bar needed replacing, not sure why though. It's 23 mm for the front correct? and ya I just replaced the intermediate shaft so thats not it, I just want the damn thing fixed, been having this problem for a while now

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
its that the sway bar is held by a clamp that is a tab and single bolt fixing it sucks. the bar comes out the passenger side wheel well its a pita
drop the subframe to upgrade the sway bar clamps

this is how i fix them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, well I already ordered the sway bar, what all is needed to drop the sub frame? Do I need to support the engine and all thing when taking out the engine cradle? Or is that the same thing? Sorry for all the questions I just need it fixed and don't have a choice other than DIY, college and car failure don't mix well.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Okay, ill try just the bushings first. They said that those were bad but also the whole bar needed replacing, not sure why though. It's 23 mm for the front correct? and ya I just replaced the intermediate shaft so thats not it, I just want the damn thing fixed, been having this problem for a while now
you shouldnt need to replace the bar unless it is bent. have you hit a curb or a big hole in the road. it would have to be a serious collision with something to bend your sway bar and if it did happen then you would definately have other damage as well. while your replacing sway bar bushings inspect the bushings of your control arms

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No I haven't hit any big holes really and i went on the curb maybe once, but these were all far after the issue began, so this was already happening previously, so I will go ahead and just replace the bushings to start with, does this also require me to drop the sub frame?

·
Registered
758 Posts
No I haven't hit any big holes really and i went on the curb maybe once, but these were all far after the issue began, so this was already happening previously, so I will go ahead and just replace the bushings to start with, does this also require me to drop the sub frame?
to replace the bushings you do not need to drop the frame. the clamps and bolts are difficult to reach and the bushings are around $30 i think just make sure you get the correct size

1 - 14 of 14 Posts