Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry to have another post about my tach but i need to get this s*** worked out. Ok i went to the shop today and he was going to install it, i had the diagram and everything he needed because i finally figured out i need a adapter. He said he needs to connect it to the pink positive(+) coil, but there are three diffrent ones. Whoever installed their autometer tach and shiftlight, please let me know which wire, or can u send me the schematic for the ignition system (thats what he said he needed, or the best would be just to know which wire). I asked him to show me and their were like three coils of wires on top of each other and if you could just tell me which would i would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You need to find the pink/black wire that feeds ALL of the coils. It is in the harness that is on the left hand side of the engine. There is a harness retaining pin on it that is pushed into a boss on the block. Also there is a plug/socket connected to this harness. The end of the plug/socket cable that is toward the firewall feeds all of the coils. You need to cut THE PINK/BLACK wire (BEFORE the plug/socket). That is what I found easier for me, and connect the tach adaptor in series with the pink/black wire you cut, watching the color coding of the tach adaptor wiring. You will need to make up two extension wires to reach the adaptor. The wiring harness is a bit diffucult to get to but no means impossible. I soldered extension wires to the pink/black wire I cut and used heat shrink tubing to cover the splices. I then took the "extension wires" and ran them into a 1/4" split wire loom to the tach adaptor. The Autometer tach adaptor has 4 wires on it. A red (this wire connects to the pink/black wire away from the coil packs), a red/green wire (this connects to the pink/black wire towards the coil packs, a black to ground and a green for tach input. You can't even tell that anything was done to the harness in my engine compartment. My tach wire from my tach runs through the grommet that the hood release cable goes through and attaches to the tach adaptor green wire. I have the tach adaptor mounted under the left front headlight pod. There is a very nice location to place it. BTW, you DO NOT cut any pink wires that are on the coils, only the one in the harness toward the front of the car from the plug/socket.

I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY PROBLEMS THAT MIGHT ARISE FROM ANY INSTALLATION OR MODIFICATION, PAST, PRESENT OR FUTURE.

With that out of the way, everything works just fine for me. If you need a wiring diagram of the coils, let me know (I do not know how to post pix here on the forum, sorry) and I will email you the page you need. This wire can also be found in Volume 2, page 6-644, titled "Engine Controls - 2.0L" in the 2005 Service Manual (2004 is the same). The wire is labeled 5292 PK/BK 0.8 and the plug/connector I am referring to is C155.

Sorry this post is so long but I hope it helps you.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks...

i picked up my car yesterday and everthing works great, as long as there wernt any mistakes installing it everyhting should work out fine. thank you very much for your help, i could not of figured this out without you. thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts