Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i went the to track last night. Went to Kilkare in Xenia. I havent been since Sept. Since then i have added jmod (shift kit) and ported plenum so i figured i at least hit my best if not maybe a little better. Well it was around 85 degrees, in sept it was like 65. First run out i hit a 15.08 followed by another 15.01. So i was getting upset, but close to 14.9. In september i ran 2 14.9's and that 14.82. Third run i hit like a 15.3 with a bad 2.4 60ft. I ran 15.3 stock!! Then i get a 15.12 and then a bad 60ft with a 2.5..worse ever!! I ran a 15.4. Now i know obviously the runs with the bad 60fts were the cause...but 20 degrees in weather hurt me that much?? There was another guy with an 02 GT i assume an auto..dunno but he said he normally ran 14.6 and he couldnt get lower then 14.9 so i am guessing it was the heat and track prep. I normally ran 2.2 60fts before so i even tried feathering it but i guess my generic tires sucks ass and only hit 2.2 once. Since last Sept i added the 351 spoiler over the 281, i dont think it woul hurt it that much tho. I am guessing it was the heat. I seen another 04 GT, dunno if it was auto but engine looked stock and it ran a 15.07. An 01 Cobra vert ran a 14.4 so i am guessing everyone was suffering. Very upset tho...oh well. Only highlight was i raced a 99+ Trans am. I knew i was gonna get killed esp the way i was running. So i get the jump, like a .6 light and he has a 1.2 light..i lead the 1/8th and then he catches up and passed me..i was like shit. Then he misses a shift!!! I was like yeahhhh so then i go by passing him and get to the line first!!! wooo hooooo..and thats what i said in the car, only highlight of the night. I did run an rsx type s, dont know what year but he ran 15.5 and i ran a 15.01 that time and beat a civic SI so at least i still took the rice out.. Sucked..oh well i am gonna get my PI intake on and tuned..and wait til it gets a little colder then run it. My car didnt get a chance to cool down between each run either. Sure did shift hard, it was awesome on that aspect

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
mbhmustang98 said:
Well i went the to track last night. Went to Kilkare in Xenia. I havent been since Sept. Since then i have added jmod (shift kit) and ported plenum so i figured i at least hit my best if not maybe a little better. Well it was around 85 degrees, in sept it was like 65. First run out i hit a 15.08 followed by another 15.01. So i was getting upset, but close to 14.9. In september i ran 2 14.9's and that 14.82. Third run i hit like a 15.3 with a bad 2.4 60ft. I ran 15.3 stock!! Then i get a 15.12 and then a bad 60ft with a 2.5..worse ever!! I ran a 15.4. Now i know obviously the runs with the bad 60fts were the cause...but 20 degrees in weather hurt me that much?? There was another guy with an 02 GT i assume an auto..dunno but he said he normally ran 14.6 and he couldnt get lower then 14.9 so i am guessing it was the heat and track prep. I normally ran 2.2 60fts before so i even tried feathering it but i guess my generic tires sucks ass and only hit 2.2 once. Since last Sept i added the 351 spoiler over the 281, i dont think it woul hurt it that much tho. I am guessing it was the heat. I seen another 04 GT, dunno if it was auto but engine looked stock and it ran a 15.07. An 01 Cobra vert ran a 14.4 so i am guessing everyone was suffering. Very upset tho...oh well. Only highlight was i raced a 99+ Trans am. I knew i was gonna get killed esp the way i was running. So i get the jump, like a .6 light and he has a 1.2 light..i lead the 1/8th and then he catches up and passed me..i was like shit. Then he misses a shift!!! I was like yeahhhh so then i go by passing him and get to the line first!!! wooo hooooo..and thats what i said in the car, only highlight of the night. I did run an rsx type s, dont know what year but he ran 15.5 and i ran a 15.01 that time and beat a civic SI so at least i still took the rice out.. Sucked..oh well i am gonna get my PI intake on and tuned..and wait til it gets a little colder then run it. My car didnt get a chance to cool down between each run either. Sure did shift hard, it was awesome on that aspect
weather conditions will affect your car big time, head out again on a nice cool dry night.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
clownhair said:
weather conditions will affect your car big time, head out again on a nice cool dry night.

Yeah i can see that for sure. Ill get that intake on, tune and go back in sept and hit a 14.5 hopefully. I might go once before then to see what i can do but def gonna go in sept when its 65 again. It just sucked running a stock time...5 tenths slower with my mods. Oh well...it was still sorta fun tho Least u wasnt the only suffering. Didnt see any redlines..seen an srt-4 and it ran 14.6 so.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Smack that rice! Summer nights are hard to on racers some days... it's 97 here today... the other night it was 77 and 70% humidity at night..

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
ouch ..................

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sp00ner said:
Smack that rice! Summer nights are hard to on racers some days... it's 97 here today... the other night it was 77 and 70% humidity at night..

Yeah back on a day similar to this when i was running 15.1 as my best..i ran a string of 15.4s due to the air. And with this air i hit a few 15.0s. So i bet i would hit 14.7 or better if it had been cool as in Sept. Car def seemed stronger esp with the shifts. I was upset but i know it was the weather and not the car.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I was riding around with two people to go to lunch today, and my damn car felt like a stone. It's well into the 90's the traffic was terrible, and my car was chugging from all the heat soak...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
So just out of curiosity, when at the track is it better to leave the engine on in between runs to get a good consistent run? I've heard that in Bracket racing that is the thing to do so that the engine doesn't stray too far off the beaten path. Is it the same for just simple drag racing? I would think it would be ok to let the engine cool a little in between runs, but your consistency will be non-existant right?

·
Registered
243 Posts
That is truly an off day at the track. Not a terrible day though. On a terrible day, you can't drive your ride home! The heat & humidity will kill you every time. The more water in the air, the less oxygen. Less O2 = less power.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. Like i said back when 15.1 was my best, i ran at the track similar to a night like the other night. I pulled off 4 15.4s in a row and this time i did hit a few 15.0s so i bet i did improve a little, prolly more like a 14.7,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Another thing you have to consider is the actual track temps. If it's 86 degrees out you can bet track temps will be in the 90's because of the blacktop. I rarely run in the summer especially with my stock IC. I usually see slower times by about .3 to .4 in the summer vs spring or fall due to heat.

Kilkare is prepped really well I like going there to get "good" times however it's poorly manged. Your lucky to get 4 runs in for the entire night if your lucky. Go to Tri-State on a Saturday and you can hot lap your car if you want to.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
G.T.I. said:
Another thing you have to consider is the actual track temps. If it's 86 degrees out you can bet track temps will be in the 90's because of the blacktop. I rarely run in the summer especially with my stock IC. I usually see slower times by about .3 to .4 in the summer vs spring or fall due to heat.

Kilkare is prepped really well I like going there to get "good" times however it's poorly manged. Your lucky to get 4 runs in for the entire night if your lucky. Go to Tri-State on a Saturday and you can hot lap your car if you want to.
Yeah so i guess on my first 2 runs when i hit 15.0 i bet in reality i beat my best time of 14.8 prolly about a 14.7 or something.

·
Registered
25 Posts
mbhmustang98 said:
Yeah so i guess on my first 2 runs when i hit 15.0 i bet in reality i beat my best time of 14.8 prolly about a 14.7 or something.
No in reality you ran a 15.0 :D You can blame the heat for bad times but it's what your actually running that day in those conditions.

Plus my car has a turbo so the heat effects me more then your N/A V8. I'm already taking hot air off my exhaust and pushing it through an intercooler that heatsoaks after 2nd gear :(

If your looking to run good times or your best times the summer isn't the time to do it. However it will give you and idea how your car performs in the heat.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
G.T.I. said:
No in reality you ran a 15.0 :D You can blame the heat for bad times but it's what your actually running that day in those conditions.

Plus my car has a turbo so the heat effects me more then your N/A V8. I'm already taking hot air off my exhaust and pushing it through an intercooler that heatsoaks after 2nd gear :(

If your looking to run good times or your best times the summer isn't the time to do it. However it will give you and idea how your car performs in the heat.

True but ill do it when its cooler and put that as my best time..technically it will be :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts