Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I finally nabbed a decent job here in Pittsburgh--not bad, considering I graduated from college less than two weeks ago :)

So, now it's time to do the test drives; which I did today :D

I first hit up Dodge. The guy let me take an SRT-4 for a spin. Talk about power! But in the end, I don't like the styling, or the price. I think I can scratch it from my list, as much fun as it was to drive.

I then went to Toyota/Scion. Buzzed around in a tC. The price was right--a little less than $17k. But it didn't have the supercharger (which brings power to about 200 or so). It's quick, and I do like the styling, but the dealer informed me it would be around $3k for the supercharger. And that's without any other options (no TRD exhaust, ground effects, spoiler, etc). The price jumps a bit with each. I'm not really interested.

So...I went to Hyundai next...first spin in a Tiburon (an '05, with the revamped styling). It had the 2.7L V6 (around 172 horses) and 6 spd. I was impressed. Frankly, I think the Tib is a sexy car. The exhaust note was great. It handled very well. The interior was also impressive, and it was a good bit quicker than the tC. The sticker was around $20k, and the dealer (who I bought my '02 Elantra from) said he could knock off around $1,500 or so. I also like the leather, and the seats were pretty damn supportive. Handed back the keys with a smile on my face. I know for a fact that if it had 20 or 30 more horses, I'd take it in a heartbeat (I'll get to that).

Made Saturn my last stop. The dealer had two '04s on the lot, both silver (I like the color...stays cleaner longer). The savings are around $5,500 off sticker, so around $17k. Took it for a spin--you guys aren't kidding. Though I can tell the SRT-4 is quicker, it wasn't by much. Handles like a dream, and I DO like the styling.

So I'm torn between the Tiburon and Redline. I could pick up a slightly used '04 Tib for about $16k (or even stick with a new one...the styling's not vastly different), and spring for the Alpine supercharger kits that are available. The stage 0 ($2.5k) brings the power to about 170 whp. That 30 whp bump, I'd imagine, would make the Tib quick. And the next stage ($3.3k) takes the power to over 210 whp and beyond with an intake, exhaust. But, alas, it would screw the powertrain warranty (which is another selling point for the Tib--10 yrs, 100k).

The RL had a 3 yr, 36k warranty...so I might, in the end, be spending the same amount if there were engine troubles in either car.

So--wow....I dunno. I think it might be a toss up. I might have to spend a weekend with each car. I like that the RL is quick right off the lot, and I wouldn't have to worry about warranty issues or finding someone to install a blower on the Tib. But the Tib simply catches my eye. It's a nice looking car. And not to bash the RL--I DO like them--but the interior of the Tib, IMHO, is nicer.

So I have the folks @ the Tiburon forum pointing me in their direction, and I'm sure you all here will help me the other way. But! Opinions, advice, anything at all! I'm walking the line between two great cars ;)

--Jon

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
As much as I want to jump on this and say "BUY THE REDLINE, YOU WON'T REGRET IT", I can't really do that, because as much as we all LOVE our Redlines, we're not you. If you just hastily jump on the redline without soul searching, you may find out you want the Tibby and be pining away for it for years to come.

However, as the voice of reason ( :p ) here, i'm going to say, that it seems like you get a BRAND NEW Redline WITH the supercharger for $17k, but then if you buy the Tib and the Stage 0, you're at $18.5.

Finally, I'm going to say, you may get SOME funny looks if you tell people you bought a Saturn, but you'll get more if you buy a Hyundai.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I personally also like the looks of the Tiburon, have since the newer body style in the V6 came out. But, the Redline, is just different. Even with the Tiburons, you'll see them quite a bit. I personally know 4 kids that have them, and the was out of the 200 or so that drove at my high school 2 years ago. The thing about the RL, is that it is a Saturn, which means safe, and pretty reliable, even into the 100,000+ miles. Take that, add a supercharged FACTORY engine, all for $17K, and it sounds pretty damn good to me. The fact that stock, it's dynoing at what the tiburon would after about $4.5K in mods, is pretty impressive. And, when was the last time you paid insurance on less horsepower you ACTUALY have, and for more doors than it seems (the 2 extra doors actually help alot). You obviously know which one I picked. Just trying to let you know why.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Blue04RedLine said:
I personally also like the looks of the Tiburon, have since the newer body style in the V6 came out. But, the Redline, is just different. Even with the Tiburons, you'll see them quite a bit. I personally know 4 kids that have them, and the was out of the 200 or so that drove at my high school 2 years ago. The thing about the RL, is that it is a Saturn, which means safe, and pretty reliable, even into the 100,000+ miles. Take that, add a supercharged FACTORY engine, all for $17K, and it sounds pretty damn good to me. The fact that stock, it's dynoing at what the tiburon would after about $4.5K in mods, is pretty impressive. And, when was the last time you paid insurance on less horsepower you ACTUALY have, and for more doors than it seems (the 2 extra doors actually help alot). You obviously know which one I picked. Just trying to let you know why.
Another point I forgot to note. The "rarity" that comes along with the RL. I do see Tibbys, but not that many around here. Yet I've only seen three Redlines in Pittsburgh within the past year. Compare that to the dozens of Tibbys I see every now and then.

I discussed this w/ the Saturn dealer. He said kids like the SRT-4...and ricers. Hondas and the like. I see SRT-4s quite a bit. Dealer quote, "Don't seem to want to be caught dead in a Saturn." But...they'll be caught dead in a NEON haha. A fast neon, yes, but a neon. Yet anyone not OVERLY familar w/ cars would look at an RL and have no idea what it was as it leaves them behind.

The Tibby's just a nice looking car that happens to be affordable, for the most part. And the interior was nicely done. I got great fit and finish in my Elantra, and the Tib was even nicer. Feels more expensive than it is. I wasn't overly impressed w/ the RL's. But it doesn't seem like many are--and I'm not really buying it for the interior. I just want a fun ride.

I'm still waiting on the insurance guy to buzz me back--if there's a big dif between the Tib and RL, that might decide it. But I have a feeling the RL will be less, vis-a-vis the extra doors, the fact it's a Saturn, etc. I'll have to wait and see.

Good point! Anyone else? :)

--Jon

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I get a GM employess discount. So I chose the Saturn. I went through the same thing trying to find a car I liked. Mazda, ford, dodge, etc etc. Discount really was the deciding factor. My RL is fully loaded and was $17,2. The dollor to HP ratio is the best.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Insurance should definitely factor in as well as resale. My agent said first time Hyundai owners are usually in for a shock. Since you already have one I guess you know. The RL isn't cheap either - check out the recent post on insurance rates. I'm on the low end at $800/yr.

Resale is tough to estimate on the RL. They haven't been out long enough to have enough data. If the posts here are any indication, more get totalled than are sold used. Tiburon probably has sufficient data, but being a Hyundai I'm guessing its not very good.

You might also consider practicality. The other day I found a screamin clearance deal on an over-the-range microwave was at Sears. The trunk was already full with the wife's wheelchair and a Sam's club run, but that was no problem. With the rear access doors it gobbled up the huge box with ease. Ion styling may be more utilitarian but it has some advantages.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well both cars if you're going on performance merits have significant benefits. Let's start with the tib.

The 2.7l v6 has a short stroke and revs high for a v6. It responds EXTREMELY well to mods and can put you into the 14's for not a whole lot of green. It's alot slower than a redline stock, weighs a bit more, and doesn't handle as well but the engine can be very potent.
The downshot of this is you need to basically buy two of every bolt on (headers, cams, cam gears, heads, etc) if you decide to get semi-serious.

Now the redline's engine is almost as overbuilt as an sr20det's engine (possibly the most overbuilt engine I've ever seen).
It's got a forged crank, forged rods, high strength pistons, oil squirters, water to air intercooler, oil cooler, sodium filled exhaust valves, etc.
The engine is perfectly square (86x86mm), has improved cooling in the jackets and was specifically designed to meet the durability required to race on nurenburgring without over heating or getting brake fade.

Comp edition gives you boost gauge, limited slip, etc.

On styling:
The 05 tib is hot. Saw one the other day and it turned my head. Hands down.

The 05 redline is styled pretty good, but you can modify which wing you want on the back in case the don king wing doesn't appeal to you. The comp edition gets gunmetal and not chromed rims.

On practicality:
05 tib - No idea.

05 redline - fold down split rear seats, huge interior, huge trunk, recaro stitched leather seats (which are just wonderful on long drives), poor wheel placement for long drives (nowhere to prop your arm comfortably, compared to my other cars), no dead pedal.

The 05 tib is a great car and certainly worth consideration. We appreciate you taking a look at the redline too because this is a niche car and we're niche car kind of people :)

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
garland said:
Well both cars if you're going on performance merits have significant benefits. Let's start with the tib.

The 2.7l v6 has a short stroke and revs high for a v6. It responds EXTREMELY well to mods and can put you into the 14's for not a whole lot of green. It's alot slower than a redline stock, weighs a bit more, and doesn't handle as well but the engine can be very potent.
The downshot of this is you need to basically buy two of every bolt on (headers, cams, cam gears, heads, etc) if you decide to get semi-serious.

Now the redline's engine is almost as overbuilt as an sr20det's engine (possibly the most overbuilt engine I've ever seen).
It's got a forged crank, forged rods, high strength pistons, oil squirters, water to air intercooler, oil cooler, sodium filled exhaust valves, etc.
The engine is perfectly square (86x86mm), has improved cooling in the jackets and was specifically designed to meet the durability required to race on nurenburgring without over heating or getting brake fade.

Comp edition gives you boost gauge, limited slip, etc.

On styling:
The 05 tib is hot. Saw one the other day and it turned my head. Hands down.

The 05 redline is styled pretty good, but you can modify which wing you want on the back in case the don king wing doesn't appeal to you. The comp edition gets gunmetal and not chromed rims.

On practicality:
05 tib - No idea.

05 redline - fold down split rear seats, huge interior, huge trunk, recaro stitched leather seats (which are just wonderful on long drives), poor wheel placement for long drives (nowhere to prop your arm comfortably, compared to my other cars), no dead pedal.

The 05 tib is a great car and certainly worth consideration. We appreciate you taking a look at the redline too because this is a niche car and we're niche car kind of people :)
Exactly the type of answer I was looking for. I slapped up this same question at Hyundai Tib forums....and got shit on for considering a Saturn! It's like they had no idea what kind of car the RL is.

Talked with my insurance company. The RL is actually a little cheaper than the Tib. $1600 for the RL. Not bad at all, IMHO, considering I'm 22, male, not the best driving record :rolleyes:

I test drove the RL, obviously, and like the price. About $17k for the '04. If I want the newer styled Tib, I'd be aroung $20k for the GT and 6 speed. You're right about the styling--it's a sweet car, inside and out. The V6 did rev nicely, and was fun.

But...damn. For $3k less, the RL literarlly floored me. Plus I'd have $3k to putz around with if I ever decide to do mods. God only knows what kinda HP the RL will be pulling after the aftermarket comes out. Or I can simply save $3k haha.

I'll probably go take both for a ride again, but I'm just waiting on starting work. Day I talk w/ HR about salary, and get my start date, I'll be heading down and probably picking up an RL.

I'll keep you all updated, I'm sure.

--Jon

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
My cousin has a Tibby, not the V6 though. She likes it alot. I was talking to her boyfriend about it, and showing him my car. She paid almost the same amount, right around $18,000 for it. Should have seen the look when i said mine was $19,000. Her's was an '04, mine an '05. Nice looking car, that's for sure. I had a former co-worker with the last model Tibby, and she hated that thing. So they did some good things in between, but the engine seem to be pretty far from ideal yet. I was getting almost that horsepower out of my V6 Camaro a few years back.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sp00ner said:
My cousin has a Tibby, not the V6 though. She likes it alot. I was talking to her boyfriend about it, and showing him my car. She paid almost the same amount, right around $18,000 for it. Should have seen the look when i said mine was $19,000. Her's was an '04, mine an '05. Nice looking car, that's for sure. I had a former co-worker with the last model Tibby, and she hated that thing. So they did some good things in between, but the engine seem to be pretty far from ideal yet. I was getting almost that horsepower out of my V6 Camaro a few years back.
That's the only thing that really turned me off of the Tib. I know it's the same V6 that's out of the Santa Fe (to keep costs down), but I think in this category, you need at least 200 horsepower or so. I couldn't imagine Hyundai struggling to get that out of the 2.7. 172 isn't impressive. And on the Tib forums, I'm seeing they're putting down around 140 to the wheels. I saw it a few times, and chimed in w/ the RL's numbers. They didn't believe me until someone backed me up haha.

However, I can imagine in a year or two Hyundai offering their new 3.3L that's in the new Sonata (has anyone seen them yet? Personally, I think they floor the Camary, and even the Accord, styling wise) in the Tib. It's putting out 235 (!) hp and 226 ft. lb. If the Tib had those kind of numbers now, I'd probably go for it over the Redline.

But, I have a feeling I'm going to end up in the Redline ;)

--Jon

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
i enjoy my redline each and everyday.

i am a chevrolet salesman and i was previously a waiter and my salary more than tripled. so i wanted a new car. i test drove a tiberon, rsx, srt 4, celica, COBALT SS, just about any car in the class i took out for a nice drive.

i really enjoy my RL occasionaly people hear saturn and cant believe im driving it and once they see it, they love it.

so bottom line i love driving my redline each and every day, it handles great and the latter tach is fucking aweasome! i love the seats, wheels.

so saturn got a chevy man, to buy a saturn.

keith-

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
It responds EXTREMELY well to mods and can put you into the 14's for not a whole lot of green.
true true, but completely stock launching at idle! i can pull 14.5's all day long

who knows with the shift light and my perellis now :)

484 Posts
I Would Say Redline I Too Have Drove Both The Tibb Is Nice But The Redline Was My Choise No Regrets At All Just For Somme Added Help Ck Out My Pic In My Sig

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
One thing you haven't probably considered is that the Red Line (without the park bench wing) doesn't get a second look from the boys in blue. I think the Tibby looks sweet and I'm sure the interior blows the RL's away but the more expensive insurance and lack of power aren't things I could live with personally.

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
why the hell was this revived from the dead???? lol jon's already got a redline....

i originally opened this thread saw the beginning and was like wtf, jon got ANOTHER job? damn man.

but yea this thread is completely useless at this point, jon already has the RL.... you guy smight wanna think about that before you continue responding, convincing him to buy one :D

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
well since ekool upgraded the site there is now that "similar threads" section at the bottom. There are some really old similar threads sometimes. One forum, i can't remember which one had a warning in big red letters when you were posting on a thread that hasn't been updated in two weeks. You still could, but you hade to override that warning. I wonder if phpbb or whatever engine this is could be modified like that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.