Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DISCLAIMER: STUPID QUESTION FOLLOWS.

Does anyone know what the hell is ticking under the car after you shut it off? I am sure it is just something cooling down that does it. Exhaust? Tranny? I have no idea. I just want to know what it is. I am not about to crawl under it to find out.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
dipolley said:
DISCLAIMER: STUPID QUESTION FOLLOWS.

Does anyone know what the hell is ticking under the car after you shut it off? I am sure it is just something cooling down that does it. Exhaust? Tranny? I have no idea. I just want to know what it is. I am not about to crawl under it to find out.

I've been told everything from its the catalytic converter expanding to its a poorly located heat shield. The weird part is I hear the ticking sound also while driving. That's one thing I'll say about the Red Line is that I wish it was a little more polished i.e. no ticking or weird unrefined sounds. The supercharger sound may sound a lot nicer if they would polish the car some. Also not a big fan of the popping muffler sound. I wonder if anyone's taken the muffler off just to see what it would sound like?

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
if you notice most cars do have that ticking noise to some degree. All my cars have had the noise but my RL is the loudest and most apparant of them all. Even my mom commented on the ticking.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Yeah it's definetely an interesting noise. I'm sure it's coming from the exhaust and has to do with it being hot. I've never really noticed it in other cars, but every time I get out of the car, it's always there, tick tick tick tick for a few minutes straight. I know that if I were in a parking lot (and didn't own this car) and it pulled in a space next to me, I'd comment to the owner about it ticking so much since it doesn't seem to normal.
Personally though, I think it's kind of cool. Makes our cars kind of unique, and intimidating. Makes it seem like the car has some true performance and potential to anyone that wants to go up against it. It also sounds like a ticking time bomb...

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's just the very hot parts of the exhaust system (headers and cats) cooling off. Metal expands when heated, contracts when cooled. When you shut the car off, the metal starts to cool and contract - the ticking you hear comes from joints as the various parts contract.

The exhaust on any car expands and contracts. Whether or not a car audibly 'ticks' and how loudly depends on the exhaust system design and materials. Certain materials expand less (ie, is the exhaust stainless? aluminized?), and it depends how the system is constructed (ie how may joints and where, weld types. gaskets used, etc).

It's nothing to be worried about. Remember to that a supercharged car probably has higher exhaust gas temps than your average NA car, so your exhaust probably gets hotter. Hotter = more expansion, and more rapid cooling when you shut it off, which probably has something to do with why you notice it more on your RL than on some other cars.

If you listen hard enough, all cars do it. Every car I've owned has done it to some degree.

·
Registered
710 Posts
:cool: Yah they always do that...But the Popping and snapping when decelerating or shifting is sooooo tight. I don't understand how someone doesn't like that. I saw a rally event and when the cars would decelerate they would pop so loud and hard that fire would come out the tail pipe, I thought that was the coolest thing in the world. But thats just me. ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
Redline686 said:
:cool: Yah they always do that...But the Popping and snapping when decelerating or shifting is sooooo tight. I don't understand how someone doesn't like that. I saw a rally event and when the cars would decelerate they would pop so loud and hard that fire would come out the tail pipe, I thought that was the coolest thing in the world. But thats just me. ;)
That's different if I could find the link I'd show you that they are designed to do that as to keep the turbo spooled.

·
Registered
808 Posts
the ticking is loud because of the stainless steel exhaust, expanding and contracting

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
When I walk through my parking lot at work every morning, almost everyone with a sports car, or who drives like it's a sports car, has the same ticking noises. My bosses H2 sounds like a clock on steroids...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well like I said when I started this, I was cetain it was something cooling down. I just couldn't pin point exactly where. Thanks for all the very knowledgable insight. I have a better idea of exactly where it is. I'm not complaining about it, hell I think it's cool. You can set your watch by it it is so regular. I just wanted to know where it was without burning myself.

BTW, I did take junior high school science class. I am familiar with the idea of hot and cold and contrations and expansions. But great expalinations on applying it to an automotive example. Nice job. (that was a complimant, I'm not being fececious(sp?))

·
Registered
70 Posts
It seems really loud when parking it in the garage. I don't think that a supercharged engine runs much if any hotter than a normally aspirated engine - not driven from the exhaust like a turbo.

·
Registered
103 Posts
pac.blue.RL said:
It seems really loud when parking it in the garage. I don't think that a supercharged engine runs much if any hotter than a normally aspirated engine - not driven from the exhaust like a turbo.
They run substantially hotter. Not as hot as a turbo. But the M62 heats the charge by at least 150-200 degrees versus an NA engine. Exhaust gasses are substantially hotter as well. Exact numbers are posted in charts on Eaton's site.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I am not sure on how much hotter ours runs, but we do have an intercooler to cool down the air going into the intake so I would assume that this heated air will cause higher exhaust temps, but I am not very knowledgable in engines and their workings, I am merely guessing here.

·
Registered
302 Posts
has anyone had alot of trouble out of their redline, my auto trunk button just went out, it seems that i cant keep it out of the shop, and i am starting to get a bad vibe from my redline....

·
Registered
808 Posts
tha sikest said:
has anyone had alot of trouble out of their redline, my auto trunk button just went out, it seems that i cant keep it out of the shop, and i am starting to get a bad vibe from my redline....
Make sure youre valet switch in the trunk is in the unlock position.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts