Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Blue Devil Lives!! When GM's vice chairman speaks of an ultra-performance Corvette, we listen
BOB GRITZINGER
Posted Date: 6/29/05

General Motors vice chairman Bob Lutz won’t confirm this car exists, but he is not saying it doesn’t. We first wrote about Chevrolet’s ultra-performance Corvette—dubbed Blue Devil, most likely to catch the attention of GM CEO and Duke Blue Devil grad Rick Wagoner—shortly before the sixth-generation Corvette debuted at the Detroit auto show in January (AW, Dec. 22 and 29, 2004). We asked Lutz about the car during a recent exclusive interview with AutoWeek.

“Let’s just say [Corvette chief engineer] Dave Hill is not a guy who likes playing second fiddle to any high-performance car on the road,” said Lutz. “My guess is we’re going to find a way to do something beyond the Z06, that would be at a much higher price point, and which would compete with some of the leading high-performance cars of the world.”

Lutz said the car may be delayed while the company focuses most of its engineering might on pulling ahead profit-making vehicles like its next-generation large sport/utilities and pickups.

“But there is certainly no lack of desire on anyone’s part to establish the supremacy of the Corvette,” says Lutz.

Spied on the Nurbürgring, Blue Devil appears to be living up to the earlier hype. Eyewitnesses said the car sounds supercharged, confirming reports the engine is likely a blown version of the Z06’s 7.0-liter V8, producing upward of 600 hp. Look for lightweight carbon fiber body parts to reduce weight to about 2900 pounds.

Pricing will likely start somewhere around $100,000 if and when the car makes production in 2006.

http://autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102690

If the Z06 does 0-60 in 3.7 what the hell will happen when you add and extra 100 horsepower?

Now I'm just waiting on Urban's review.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
max_boost said:
If the Z06 does 0-60 in 3.7 what the hell will happen when you add and extra 100 horsepower?

Now I'm just waiting on Urban's review.
If you add 100 horsepower, it won't stay on the GROUND! LOL!

As far as me writing a review, chances of me getting in a Z06 are going to be pretty slim (I'm crossing my fingers and waiting for my dad to find one that he can borrow for a day or 2 on THAT one). The chances of me getting in a "Blue Devil" carbon fiber, forced-induction Z06 will require nothing short of a miracle or a car magazine that says "Hey, let's let THAT kid write the review of this!"

Frankly, I don't even know if I could handle a car with 630 hp. I see cars like the Porsche Carrera GT and the Enzo and I think, "What do you do with ungodly amounts of power like that?" Well, obviously, fast acceleration runs and tire-smouldering burnouts, but it seems like it'd be a real learning experience.

Good info, by the way, highly entertaining! I have a feeling it'll probably be released in conjunction with the Cadillac Super-V CTS that they've seen testing, so GM can blitz the super-exotic world with cars made in the US. Should be fun.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I sent the link to this thread to everyone that I know that hates American cars in our office... :D

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Hahaha, way to rub it in their face spooner. When I sent this to a guy, he thought the story was made up and that GM would never make a car as light as their sport compacts with 3 times the power....stock.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The Blue Devil only got 100 extra HP w/ a supercharger? That's only a 20% increase in power! Granted, 100HP is a lot, but when you're starting out with 500, it doesn't seem so significant. I'm glad to see them shaving the weight down 2900lbs, which is only 60lbs more than the McLaren F1 and only has 27 less HP than the McLaren. A little fine tuning should bring the power up and compensate for that extra weight. Now if they give it a kick-ass suspension package (which would only make perfect sense) and make it stick to the road like the McLaren, GM will shock the world. Hell, GM could BE the world. Ok, now I'm getting ahead of myself... *note to self, send Rick Wagoner plans for world domination by 7:30pm* But yea, GM is gonna come extremely close to the top of the food chain with this car. Waits eagerly for GM's takeover of the automotive market....

·
Registered
243 Posts
wow. I will never own, drive, ride in or see one, but damn if that doesn't make me grin! I bet this will still come in under $100K. That has to be their goal. With the aftermarket being what is is for the Vette, it will have to be better than the twin turbo setup for the Z06 you just know is coming from Lingenfelter.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
XxGarbSxX said:
The Blue Devil only got 100 extra HP w/ a supercharger? That's only a 20% increase in power! Granted, 100HP is a lot, but when you're starting out with 500, it doesn't seem so significant. I'm glad to see them shaving the weight down 2900lbs, which is only 60lbs more than the McLaren F1 and only has 27 less HP than the McLaren. A little fine tuning should bring the power up and compensate for that extra weight. Now if they give it a kick-ass suspension package (which would only make perfect sense) and make it stick to the road like the McLaren, GM will shock the world. Hell, GM could BE the world. Ok, now I'm getting ahead of myself... *note to self, send Rick Wagoner plans for world domination by 7:30pm* But yea, GM is gonna come extremely close to the top of the food chain with this car. Waits eagerly for GM's takeover of the automotive market....
In all honesty, the artice only states 'upward of 600 hp' so that could mean about anything.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
matt said:
Just like the Corvette SS, it'll never happen.
Do you know how many times that I heard GM wouldn't build a blown Saturn?

The fact that there's pics of it on a test track dosen't lend alot of support to your arguement. Who would have thought they'd build a monster Camaro for the last year, I heard a 100 times that there would be no ZL-1 Camaros too, and they're out there...

Even better a turbo-charged Neon...

·
Registered
487 Posts
garbs the suspension on the Z06 is already top notch ferrari/porche quality handling, unles sthey put aftermarket fully adjutable suspension on it, its not getting much better, the 2-300 lbs they dropped will already help ALOT

they are guestimating ~10.5 in the 1320

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Do you know how many times that I heard GM wouldn't build a blown Saturn?

The fact that there's pics of it on a test track dosen't lend alot of support to your arguement. Who would have thought they'd build a monster Camaro for the last year, I heard a 100 times that there would be no ZL-1 Camaros too, and they're out there...

Even better a turbo-charged Neon...
Look how long it took for it to happen too. It would have never happened either if GM didn't start to work more closely with Saturn.

Whatever happened to the Cadillac Cien and Sixteen? I remeber seeing pictures of them lapping on tracks. GM and Chevy had nothing to do with the '02 ZL1 Camaro. GMMG is the one who took the Camaros and transformed them. All they are is a tuner like Lingenfelter, Mallet, etc.

I just don't see it happening.

·
Registered
541 Posts
matt said:
Look how long it took for it to happen too. It would have never happened either if GM didn't start to work more closely with Saturn.

Whatever happened to the Cadillac Cien and Sixteen? I remeber seeing pictures of them lapping on tracks. GM and Chevy had nothing to do with the '02 ZL1 Camaro. GMMG is the one who took the Camaros and transformed them. All they are is a tuner like Lingenfelter, Mallet, etc.

I just don't see it happening.

Actually the Caddy Cien will live and breath (under what garb who knows) (Wife knows a GM for Caddy here in CO, been to the "proving" grounds for GM right before the CTS-V debut. And the 16 was never going to be a production car, it was just a prototype show car proving what they could do.......

I believe that the Blue Devil will live and breath, but probally along the lines of the "new" Skyline as far as availibility.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
If GM wants to establish the Vette as an even more powerful supercar, and competitive to the supercars throughout the world, they will release this car. Matt, the cadillac 16 was only meant to be a concpet car, one that would show what technology was on the verge of being used in actual production cars, like the ablility to shut off half the cylinders for normal cruising. That was the only reason the 16 was created.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I knew the 16 would not make it to production. I was using it as an example that cars photographed on tracks does not mean anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts