Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been talked about before but I just wanted to clarify if anybody has had their brakes fixed under warranty for shaking cause mine only have 12000 miles on them and are really bad and I am getting ready to take it in to the dealer to have it fixed with my oil change.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
it is your rotors! i thought it was my brakes too, i had full pads still :D they resurface the rotors if they can. But if they r destroy'ed u get new ones! and if your brakes "squeak" that is cus of rotor not brakes i could have sworn it was brake pads whole time til i saw my rotor's ;)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Same here. My rotors where completely grooved. They resurfaced them for free for me. Now no more shaking. :D

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hell i just noticed my wheel shaking back and forth when i let go of the wheel while comming to a stop. Im only at 4800 miles, and I also had them resurface the grooved rotors when i got the car at 260 miles. These rotors are balsa wood.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I wonder whats up between mine and about 6 customer redlines no brake problems.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Mine Squeel but not shake I was starting to wonder, might have to have them Look at that

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Mine are great still...

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Mine are in great shape, then again I don't even have 3,000km on the car yet. When your work is about 5km's away and school is only 34km's away. You don't tend to put a lot of mileage on the car.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just a thought, but shaking brakes were a big problem with Evo's. People would replace rotors only to have the brakes shaking again a few weeks later. It turns out that the root of the problem wasn't the rotors. It was uneven distribution of break pad material on the rotor. It seems that if you did some hard breaking when everything was still cold, you would get spots of break pad material on the rotor which would make everything shake.

·
Registered
73 Posts
brakes "shake" or pulsate do to the warping created by the extreme heat fluctuations. as far as your brake waranty goes most dealerships only cover the brakes for 12 months or 12,000 miles. but if you plead your case and say you know of the brakes having that problem and talk to the service manager on the right day the may cover it. and the beauty of doing it before 12,000 miles is it gets covered again because of the complaint. just keep that in mind.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
So far brake complaints, about the rotors, have been handled with much success, if my memory serves. They seem to be aware of the rotors taking a beating.

I will say again, that since people have been talking about it, I have noticed several cars in our parking lot at work with VERY similar stripes in the rotors. Now the shaking, and such, is something else. I'm talking only about the 'gouging'. The only person who's car I could identify was a VERY new BMW 3 series, same identical grooves in the rotors. BWM told him it was normal and was a result of excessive heavy braking, to which he freely admits to. Since he's had the car for a little while now, and dosen't try to push it as hard, the brakes have VERY mild gouges in them. Almost can't see them. I can't lie and say that I go for several days without heavy braking! So I don't know. I will say that since I've had it a little while now, and I am naturally braking a little less hard, a little less often, my grooves are much less noticeable as well. Still there though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
About a month ago I had to come to a hard stop and engaged my anti-lock brakes big time. When I started moving again I heard a thump thump thump sound that repeated for the 3 more blocks I had to travel. Last week I took my car in because the shifter came off and I mentioned this to the dealer. They said that under heavy load, the rotors will warp, so they resurfaced them. Considering that this is a performance vehicle, I think it's odd that the rotors will warp so easily. They fixed it under warranty.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Gary Perez said:
About a month ago I had to come to a hard stop and engaged my anti-lock brakes big time. When I started moving again I heard a thump thump thump sound that repeated for the 3 more blocks I had to travel. Last week I took my car in because the shifter came off and I mentioned this to the dealer. They said that under heavy load, the rotors will warp, so they resurfaced them. Considering that this is a performance vehicle, I think it's odd that the rotors will warp so easily. They fixed it under warranty.
I've put my brakes under some serious stress before. I also should point out that the GM racing Cobalts use the stock rotors with upgraded pads...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well they resufaced them for me under warranty and then said they needed to replace the cam shaft sensor again cause the first time they put the same one they had in there and then they did the ecu update. when I got my car back the horn didn't work on the car. they forgot to plug the wiring harness back in. everything is good now. They are really cool guys they just need to pay attention to detail.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
watch out! gm re did my rotors at like 12k now at 18 the shakes and groves are back. my rotors are thin as shit and my pads were completely DEAD

keith-

i wouldnt have knowne, saturn inspected it just fine, well i took them off to paint the caliper and i found FUCKED brake pads.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I've got 47k of hard driving on mine. I've replaced front pads and rotors once already, not that long ago. The grooves are there and have been there since the beginning. I have never had a pedal vibration or shaking of any kind. I went back with OEM parts for that exact reason. The grooves are fine for me.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Mine squeak every now and then, usually after a hard brake, then it works it's way out. My front rotors are grooved, have been that way since 400 miles on the odometer. The guys here told me its the nature of our brakes. Agressive pads and soft rotors. Still work fine.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Mine are starting to shake a little. I only have 7k on my car right now:mad: . Spooner, have you seena comparison between the GMPP rotors and the Power Slot rotors? amy suggestions on which ones I should get?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.