Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, with a lot of help from Mike (fullthrottle), I will have and Ecotec head along with the block sitting in Alpha's garage by this weekend. The plan with the head as far as porting etc has already been made up. As for the pistons, I don't know if I should go with a stock 9 to 5 compression or raise it to a 10 to 1 as Alpha did. I plan on going with 60#ers and keeping the 2.9 on the car for now. I also need a little help on supporting mods that will need to go along with this project. Everything from gaskets to parts. So far I will be getting the exedy clutch/flywheel, new headgasket, ARP headstuds.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
RAISE THAT BITCH UP!!!

Only reason I could think of not to is going turbo.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Like I've said before, I'd probably do it just for assurance sake, no reason not to in my mind.

·
Moderator Kitteh!
11,564 Posts
The stock gasket is the fine for any kind of power levels. The head studs are what need to be changed.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
AlphaJaguar5 said:
The stock gasket is the fine for any kind of power levels. The head studs are what need to be changed.
I wouldnt go as far as to say and kind of power levels but I agree that the studs are like assurance that your not going to blow a head gasket as easily. I will agree that the stock head gasket will be ok for most street/strip applications as long as you add some head studs.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
AlphaJaguar5 said:
Are you sure?

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
sheek360 said:
iirc thats what gm did in the lsj build book. right?
Originally Posted by AlphaJaguar5
I believe thats what handy joe was referring to in alpha's statement. Just as i did in a previous post

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
It was more the fact that AJ made some assumptions, and now something isn't right in his build. While he may be sure of it, he should probably go back and rethink things to try and figure it out.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
mgm1979 said:
which gasket was Bryan blowing out???
he was blowing out an exhaust gasket...

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
^i blew out an exhaust gasket once...i was trying to hold in a fart and then i sneezed...lol j/p...:fart::lol:

...actually having a clogged cat, is what caused the gasket to go...

good luck with the build Pup!

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
socalsilverRL said:
^i blew out an exhaust gasket once...i was trying to hold in a fart and then i sneezed...lol j/p...:fart::lol:

...actually having a clogged cat, is what caused the gasket to go...

good luck with the build Pup!
I blew out my muffler bearings once it wasnt a pretty site.

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
^yea, the blinker fluid is starting to run low in my car...i wonder if theyll warranty that...

I say, if you are going to build your engine, why not do it right the first time, i.e. head gasket, studs, mains, etc. ...learn from others mistakes, and make sure to not scrimp.

I am now subscribing to this thread...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts