Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
HAHAHA, and everyone said they would be faster. I cant wait to actually see some test numbers.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LoungeLizard said:
HAHAHA, and everyone said they would be faster. I cant wait to actually see some test numbers.
I have always thought it would be a bit slower because of the weight. With the sheet metal, plus those 18s weigh 25lbs more a piece. Everyone was like "Those 18s look great, I want some 18s." Our wheels are the perfect size. We don't need bigger wheels, we need lowering kits. (which we have)

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
a magazine has pulled a 14.5, so i believe our cars are good for better than that stock, i just think we haven't had anyone perfect a launching technique yet

·
Registered
524 Posts
Vita said:
a magazine has pulled a 14.5, so i believe our cars are good for better than that stock, i just think we haven't had anyone perfect a launching technique yet
Believe me I tried. It is pretty hard to do. I had an easier time launching with nitrous in my SC2, lol. Anyways, the track was/is poorly prepped and the ground was super cold. I'm going to try the other track which is a hell of a lot better...

Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
practice practice practice....seems to be the answer for everything.
the reed line is still a new car. people will start getting the feel for the car soon enough.

even if the cobalt was faster then the red line I would still rather have a redline I think they look better....of course like any ricer (yea I'm one of those...tough!) I've got some ideas LOL. No big wings though LOL.

·
Registered
453 Posts
haha I knew its weight would catch up with it...

"At nearly 3,000 pounds the Cobalt SS isn't light either, and it feels heavy on the road. Plus its acceleration is tempered by those big, heavy (25 pounds each) wheels. Chevy says it will trail the Ion Red Line, which is powered by the same supercharged engine, in the quarter-mile by two-tenths of a second."

·
I
7,838 Posts
anyone notice on that web site listed in this forum that the air box looks to be located in a different location then the RL?

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
all4glh said:
anyone notice on that web site listed in this forum that the air box looks to be located in a different location then the RL?
Yeah, it does look like it sits up way higher than the RL's. But is that a better location?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
yea and the windshield washer fluid is on the left now i think they might have move the air filter over there for better air flow and to keep it away from the engine more

·
Registered
493 Posts
SatredL said:
Not to give them any credit, but IMHO with the airbox right there it's a great setup for a ram air system.
Thats why they made a ram air intake for it. It was on the SEMA cobalt, and will most likely be part of a stage one upgrade.

·
Registered
37 Posts
well motortrend tested the cobalt 14.5 at 98.2mph slolem at 69mph, g's i believe .89, 0-60 6 seconds flat, 60-0 in 116' feet i believe and all other articles have been under the 15 second range, motortrend being the only legit review, edmunds didnt even test the car, and the editor is on crack. 3 magazines allready stated the cobalt ss weighing at 2806 i believe where the redline weighs 2900+, it does have heavy 18's but suspension compenents are different thus making it lighter, its 2 doors instead of 4. what has motortrend hit w/ the ion rl? 14.8, g's at .86, thats all i remember, i'm not bashing the rl, believe me i like it, but dont go believing 1 bad article when there are 3 others stating cobalt is an awsome car. i'm suprised you guys would rather believe edmunds which praises bs things and not things that are important then motortrend. i like both cars, but i'm sure gm wouldnt make a chevy slower than a saturn, just plain fact and even you guys know it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Vita said:
SaturnOfPeoria, aka Marcus Crebo is a damned fien driver and got a 14.54, afaik thats the best anyone has posted yet, so I wouldnt hold my breath till a really good driver gets on putting more than 205whp stock

·
Registered
524 Posts
haunter said:
SaturnOfPeoria, aka Marcus Crebo is a damned fien driver and got a 14.54, afaik thats the best anyone has posted yet, so I wouldnt hold my breath till a really good driver gets on putting more than 205whp stock
Seriously, if the same drivers raced the RL I wouldn't be surprised with the same times as the Cobalt SS. Do you really think anyone took the RL seriously, they probably gave it to the newbies to drive and get data. The Cobalt SS is so hyped up it isn't even funny. Well one funny thing is because of all the hype insurance companies are rating it as a high performance vehicle and some insurance companies aren't insuring it, lol. Looks like the RL can add another tally, it's just a Saturn.

Also in that article it states Chevy said the Cobalt will be a couple ticks slower than the RL. With all the hype they are giving the SS I doubt they'd say that unless there is some legitmacy to it. Either way I'd drive a Cobalt SS too for daily, lol...

Tom

·
Registered
609 Posts
:confused:
Eddie said:
well motortrend tested the cobalt 14.5 at 98.2mph slolem at 69mph, g's i believe .89, 0-60 6 seconds flat, 60-0 in 116' feet i believe and all other articles have been under the 15 second range, motortrend being the only legit review, edmunds didnt even test the car, and the editor is on crack. 3 magazines allready stated the cobalt ss weighing at 2806 i believe where the redline weighs 2900+, it does have heavy 18's but suspension compenents are different thus making it lighter, its 2 doors instead of 4. what has motortrend hit w/ the ion rl? 14.8, g's at .86, thats all i remember, i'm not bashing the rl, believe me i like it, but dont go believing 1 bad article when there are 3 others stating cobalt is an awsome car. i'm suprised you guys would rather believe edmunds which praises bs things and not things that are important then motortrend. i like both cars, but i'm sure gm wouldnt make a chevy slower than a saturn, just plain fact and even you guys know it.
Ive never heard of an Ion coming in at 2900 lbs.... I think the are at like 2800 with 4 ppl ,grocerys ,and a canoe! lol jk But me having the hook-up at the saturn dealer ive found out that they alway get the weight by fully loading the car. Its ok if everyone envys us and our little saturn because we paid nothing for a quick car. And as for not making a chevy faster than a saturn??? Think about what you just said..... I had an SL2 that would walk a cavalier on a bad day, the s series was far supperior. And The Vue V6 is the fastest in its class. Its ok if you love the cobalt but im tired of People who praise a car that isnt even out yet.... Peace

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Eddie said:
The cobalt SS will weigh more than the redline, period. If that translates into it being slower who knows.

And I can guarantee you that no one took the redline seriously enough and gave it enough test runs to get a good time. The cobalt by contrast has been hyped more than any other car in a long time it seems.

We never said the cobalt is a bad car. It is essentially the same is ours. But bottom line is that it weighs a little more and has the same engine as the redline.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Eddie, you said that we shouldn't trust this magazing for one reason or another, but the article said Chevy called the RL faster, not the magazine.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
LoungeLizard said:
Eddie, you said that we shouldn't trust this magazing for one reason or another, but the article said Chevy called the RL faster, not the magazine.
werd, also, not saying the guy who ran a 14.5 isn't a good driver, because i'm sure he is as he's turned in the fastest 1/4 run yet, but give a guy a car for an afternoon, and he gets a good time, see what he'll do after driving the car for a year or so, not to mention he said he pulled that time after launching @1500rpms, with those of us who are willing to put a little more stress on the car, i'm sure we can get lower times than that, we just need some practice

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have a brochure put out by Saturn stating that the ION Red Line comes in at 2,950 lbs. I have not seen an official number on the Cobalt SS, but read that it would be lighter due to not having four doors. One mag. tested the SS with the LSD and got 6.0 for 0-60. Saturn has our car listed at 6.3 for 0-60 without the LSD. All these numbers coming from different drivers, at different places, in different conditions. Same track, same time, stock vs. stock, equal driver skill, now that would be worth comparing.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts