Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Halla Back if any ya'll have raced any style cobalt. I need to know if i will have my ass handed to me at Rogers ville next week.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
ummmm.... no

the only cobalt that will hang is the SSs/c, period. same car as ours

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I made a U turn in the middle of a road and chased down what I thought was a Cobalt SS, but it turned out to be the regular LS. The Cobalt SS is the same as our Redlines, any advantage we have in one spot, the Cobalt will have somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Since our cars are basically the same, it will come down to who the better driver is. It may also help them if they have the LSD in their SS's.

·
Registered
138 Posts
LSD limited slip differential....in our redlines if u floor ur car only one wheel will spin the lsd makes sure both wheels are always moving....and no they are not heavier.... they do have 18 inch wheels however which will slow it down by a split second.. but dont be scarred of them if ur a better driver than the guy in the ss he will lose 100 percent of the time....i actually saw one a few days ago the first ss ive seen

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Steviepc7 said:
i actually saw one a few days ago the first ss ive seen

are you sure it was an SS?? I read somewhere that they're having difficulties w/releasing those as well. Will the 18" wheels give it a higher top speed? I've always heard different stories as to the addition of bigger wheel/tire combo as to whether it will help with acceleration or top end and have never heard it explained well. Anyone have a good explaination on the relationship between bigger wheel/tire combos and acceleration and top speed?

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I don't know if tire size makes a difference in acutual speed, but I do know that changing the tire size can screw your spedo and tach if you don't adjust them (or get a bigger rim and a lower profile tire so they are the same size as stock). But what I was wondering is that in Canada (maybe North Amercia), if a car can reach speeds higher than what the factory rubber can handle (tire speed rating) than a governer must be in place. Since our cars have 'Z' rated tires, we do not have this governer. I was wondering if the cobalts do, since they have all-season's on them (not sure of the speed rating tho).

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
XeroState said:
I don't know if tire size makes a difference in acutual speed, but I do know that changing the tire size can screw your spedo and tach if you don't adjust them (or get a bigger rim and a lower profile tire so they are the same size as stock). But what I was wondering is that in Canada (maybe North Amercia), if a car can reach speeds higher than what the factory rubber can handle (tire speed rating) than a governer must be in place. Since our cars have 'Z' rated tires, we do not have this governer. I was wondering if the cobalts do, since they have all-season's on them (not sure of the speed rating tho).
Changing to a larger tire and rim does in fact decrease you accel. Just depends on the amount you change them. Much easier to spin a smaller tire and wheel than a larger one, particuarly the wheel. That's one reason that dragsters use that itty-bitty rim on the drive tires. With the small change from the Ion to the Cobalt, it should be noticable only to a stopwatch.

That is a good question about the governer. Are you sure that the Cobalt is coming with all-season tires? I didn't think that it was. Our cars originally were going to use the Continental all-season tires. I'm not sure what prompted the switch to the Dunlops that we have now, possibly the very point you're making. What's the highest speed rating on an all-season tire? There have to be some that are around 150+, right?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
TXRLU said:
are you sure it was an SS?? I read somewhere that they're having difficulties w/releasing those as well. Will the 18" wheels give it a higher top speed? I've always heard different stories as to the addition of bigger wheel/tire combo as to whether it will help with acceleration or top end and have never heard it explained well. Anyone have a good explaination on the relationship between bigger wheel/tire combos and acceleration and top speed?
No, they're out there, just a couple right now, rarer than our Redlines, not for long though. There are a few pics on the Cobalt forums of people taking delivery and Blu_Redline posted a pic of his sitting next to a Cobalt SS on the dealer's lot, so they are out there.

I have a partial explanation for you, the wheels are acting as a final drive of sorts. So the size of the wheel, is modifying the force and drive ratio coming from the axles. Then, you have the issue of locating the weight of the wheel/tire package farther and farther from the center of the rotation. This requires even more energy to spin at the same rate as a smaller one. For instance, if you have two wheel/tire sets in front of you, both identical total sizes, and one is using a 10" rim, and one is using a 20" rim, even if both packages had the same weight, the 20" rim would take more force to spin compared to the 10" rim. Exactly like a figure skater pulling her arms in to spin faster. The techie term is Conservation of Angular Momentum. Now since the 20" rim and tire would weigh signifigantly more than the 10" combo, the problem would be increased even more. Make sense?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Right.....Further from the center of the circle, takes more force to start (and stop) then closer to the circle!!!

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
"Tires - P215/45R18 all-season performance" right from GM site. 'R' rating is only to approx. 106 MPH which the car can easily hit and surpass. So by the canadian law it requires a governer (again I am not sure of the US).

*My bad, I believe I read the speed rating wrong, if so would someone please inform me on how to read it properly (a friend told me the 'R' isn't the speed rating, but doesn't know how to read it properly....which doesn't help me any)*

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Size: 215/45WR18 is actually the complete tire size for the Cobalt SS, the W has a speed rating of 168 mph 270 km/h Exotic Sports Cars. The R designates that it is a Radial tire. Below is a good link for anyone wanting a degree in Tireology

Tireology 101

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
XeroState said:
"Tires - P215/45R18 all-season performance" right from GM site. 'R' rating is only to approx. 106 MPH which the car can easily hit and surpass. So by the canadian law it requires a governer (again I am not sure of the US).

*My bad, I believe I read the speed rating wrong, if so would someone please inform me on how to read it properly (a friend told me the 'R' isn't the speed rating, but doesn't know how to read it properly....which doesn't help me any)*
The rules are the same in the US and Canada in that respect.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
TXRLU said:
Size: 215/45WR18 is actually the complete tire size for the Cobalt SS, the W has a speed rating of 168 mph 270 km/h Exotic Sports Cars. The R designates that it is a Radial tire. Below is a good link for anyone wanting a degree in Tireology[\QUOTE]

Thanks for updating me, I figured something was wrong with my logic (I am a math and computer wise, but otherwise I actually have to learn :( )

·
Registered
18 Posts
schmidty9497 said:
Halla Back if any ya'll have raced any style cobalt. I need to know if i will have my ass handed to me at Rogers ville next week.
I've heard something about there being different ratios in the 5-speed gearbox in the Cobalt SS. I've been digging around to find out what the ratios are between the two cars, but I'm not having much luck. Anyone know?

·
Registered
104 Posts
To get back to the topic, the SS is the only Cobalt compition, the rest I think are basically a redone Cavilers. Also, a dealer out here in Cali said the SS isn't supposed to hit the streets until about June/July time frame.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Here we will not be getting the SS/SC version of the Cobalt till next month, but many places already have them and many people already have theirs. Just check the cobaltss.com website.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts