Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
I'm Awesome
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So. You've got the nasty power steering problem.
- Your odometer dings and reads Pwr Stg
- You can barely turn the wheel and under 15 mph it's almost a work out
- You're pissed off

First off, if your car is under 100,000 miles and under 10 years old (which is impossible right now in the year 2010 atm)...GO SCHEDULE YOURSELF AN APPT W GM :) They will replace your steering motor for free! :D
Finally. After 2-3 years of this bs...
quoted from GM:

Special Coverage Adjustment – Power Steering Assist Bulletin 10187 July 2010

MODELS: 2004-2007 Saturn ION

CONDITION
Some customers of 2004-2007 model year Saturn ION vehicles, equipped with electric power steering, may experience a sudden loss of power steering assist, which could occur at any time while driving the vehicle. If the power steering assist is lost, a chime will be heard and the Message Center will display a "PWR STR" warning message. The vehicle can still be steered in a safe manner but will require greater driver effort at low vehicle speeds or when stopped. Typically, the next time the vehicle is started, the power steering assist will return and the "PWR STR" message would no longer be displayed.

SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.
Retailers are to replace the power steering motor. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer. For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after July 21, 2010, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to July 21, 2010, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

VEHICLES INVOLVED
Involved are certain 2004-2007 model year Saturn ION vehicles equipped with electric power steering and built within the following VIN breakpoints:
Year Division Model From Through
2004 Saturn ION 4Z100001 4Z232317
2005 Saturn ION 5Z100001 5Z183690
2006 Saturn ION 6Z100001 6Z211250
2007 Saturn ION 7Z100001 7Z210512
-------------------------------------------------------------
So, if your car doesn't fit the reqs, then check it out here!

For those of you who like to know a bit about this before you dive in...:
Electric Power Steering

The Chevrolet Cobalt and the Pontiac G5 both share this problem (GM sharing it's parts w/ other models) but THEY got a recall. We got the extended warranty of sorts as you see above.

First thing's first. Contact the NHTSA at 888-327-4236 w/ your vin number or do it online at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm

Next, since a lot of us are DIYers (do it yourself)...let's figure out the problem together. I am by no means a qualified tech, but I like to get things done myself if ever possible. This post will be edited a few times because of the information all of you will be giving me in the future.
First.
Get your car's codes taken. Go to autozone or pep boys or your best friend with a scanner and with your car on and in the power steering msg on, pull the DTC codes. They'll know what you mean.

- If you have no DTCs or no messages then maybe it's a blown steering fuse. The fuse can be blown during improper jump starting of the vehicle. Change that. Do yourself a favor and change both the fuses (2).

The one in the engine is on the drivers side, it's a box. If you're facing it from the front, the fuse you want is the smaller one on the left bottom side. It has an empty slot to the right of it. Get the exact same one at your local AutoZone or whatnot. It's yellow and 60Amps. I believe it'll be a JCAS. Just pull it straight out and when you put it in, make sure its in.

Then pull the driver's compartment off, its below the steering wheel, to the right, along the radio bezel. That fuse is a really small one, refer to the drawing on the plastic piece you just ripped off. I believe it'll be a MINI with a type 2 gray fuse. For this one do yourself a favor and just buy a kit with a fuse puller. It's easier and safer.

Drive around and hope it works. I did this and it worked mountains better but I got the code once or twice every 2 weeks. Going to get her taken in at my local Chevy.
So you got codes.
What DTC code did you get??
Quoted from a Service Bulletin from GM...

Quick abbreviation guide before you read this:
DIC = Driver Information Center (area under the odometer)
DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Codes
PSCM = Power Steering Control Module
EPS = Electric Power Steering
BCM = Body Control Module

Power Steering Warning Message on DIC with DTCs C0176 and C0476
This condition is often the result of excessive lock-to-lock turns of the steering wheel, causing the thermal protection in the power steering control module (PSCM) to take the steering motor temporarily off line. This is a normal operating characteristic of the system. DO NOT replace the steering column for this condition.

Power Steering Warning Message on DIC with DTC C0550 in the PSCM
Inspect the motor harness connection to the PSCM. If no connector problems are found, replace the steering column ONLY as this is an internal controller issue.

Power Steering Warning Message on DIC with DTC C0475 in the PSCM
Check the connection between the EPS motor and the power steering control module (PSCM) by ensuring the harness connector is properly seated. If the connection is normal, replace ONLY the EPS motor.

Note: If the DTC resets immediately following motor replacement, replace the steering column.

Power Steering Warning Message on DIC with DTC U2105 and/or U2107 in the PSCM with any other U codes
Although the code(s) appear in the PSCM, these are communication codes and are not the result of a problem with the column operation or the control module. If the codes are in history, clear the codes and re-key the vehicle a few times to see if they come back. If they reappear, look for a communication issue from the BCM U2107 or ECM U2105 (wiring, connector, etc.) as the root cause. If the codes do not reappear after a test drive, return the vehicle back to the customer. DO NOT replace the steering column.

Now. If you have to replace the motor, try just cleaning it! Save some money maybe. It'll take a complete power steering dummy less than an hour. Any questions, leave them here or PM me. =) I did this myself to no avail but it has worked for some!

Here's a good How-to from afaltersack.
http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/problems-troubleshooting/45237-power-steering-fix-pwr-str-step.html

What that does is it allows you to clean any Carbon build up that likes to build up around the motor making it heat up quicker and preventing it from working right.

If that how to doesn't work but you still need to change your motor try buying one from gmpartsdirect!
GMPartsDirect.com
part number 20995579 seems to be working well for most with a price of $100.00

Now if you have to replace the whole column...as far as I've found out so far...there's nothing you can do but fight GM or pay $1,000+ Because you'll have to mess with a lot more stuff that's pretty hard for us DIYers like dealing with u-joint connection down at the I-shaft. And ugh it's a bit much.

Lastly, SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS. One day GM may here's our screams and give us a recall and will refund us our troubles. One day..:(

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
whoa just made the cut 96k thanks for this, will schedule asap

·
THE LEGEND
2,603 Posts
Thanks for the thread, I went to the dealer today w/ 99,000 mi. On my car & ordered the motor & they're going to call me when it comes in. That's cutting it close. I actually thought they were going to give
me a hard time, but no problems at all, for a change. :) but the motor's on national back-order, so he had no idea how long till it gets here. God I am soooo happy I saw this thread before the dreaded 100,000 mark.:)

·
I'm Awesome
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blue, try calling General Motors and see if they can refund you that money now that there is a warranty extension. Be an ass about it. Mention the fact that the other models with the SAME power steering got the recall but you couldn't let your life be in danger any longer so you got it fixed asap and now they actually admit there's something wrong with our cars but you paid a grand to it. It's not right.

I called my local Chevy and they didn't know about the warranty extension. Had to give them the notice number and they're like "uhhh yeah I'm gonna have to order the part...do you mind waiting 2 weeks?" ugh. Oh well.

And you're all welcome. :D

·
Registered
475 Posts
Blue, try calling General Motors and see if they can refund you that money now that there is a warranty extension. Be an ass about it. Mention the fact that the other models with the SAME power steering got the recall but you couldn't let your life be in danger any longer so you got it fixed asap and now they actually admit there's something wrong with our cars but you paid a grand to it. It's not right.

I called my local Chevy and they didn't know about the warranty extension. Had to give them the notice number and they're like "uhhh yeah I'm gonna have to order the part...do you mind waiting 2 weeks?" ugh. Oh well.

And you're all welcome. :D
True! K ima give it a shot and see what happens! **** it! gotta try and get some money back at least! thanx!

·
I'm Awesome
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Best of luck to you.
And on the bright side, if they say no - make sure you saved your receipts/paperwork/etc.

What they are doing now isn't an official recall, but there will be one in the near future. This is it's preliminary stage of sorts.
So, once they do a recall, you'll DEFINITELY get your money back.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
called my local dealer, said I need to come in before hand so they can verify my vin and order the part so my car isn't stuck there for weeks. heading there tonight.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
sounds like an endlink.
you better hope come 100,001 miles the problem doesn't come out of nowhere!
*knock on wood

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tried fixing the power steering myself, but had no luck. There was a ton of carbon build up and one of the spring loaded contacts was slightly out of place. After putting it back in the car the problem still persisted.

Thankfully I read this thread. Called my local Chevy dealer and they didn't know what I was talking about at first. Just make sure you mention the bulletin # so they can pull it up. Drove to the dealership, they checked it out and replaced the motor on the spot. In and out in less than an hour.

·
THE LEGEND
2,603 Posts
Got my ps motor put in last week, works awesome. No more turning the key off & on every 10 minutes. WOOO fn' HOOO!:bananahum

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got my letter this week too. Luckily I haven't experienced this problem in my '05 and I only have 49K. Mine doesn't leave the garage in the winter months so hopefully if it is going to show up in my message center it'll be sooner than later.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts