Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mighty EU strikes again, attempting to crush the aspirations of drivers everywhere!
News Alert: May 15, 2005
Europe-wide 62mph limit mooted
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12389-1610994,00.html
The European Union’s energy commissioner has called for a 100kph — 62mph — speed limit to be adopted throughout Europe. Andris Piebalgs said roads in all 25 member states should be posted with a uniform limit to cut accidents and save fuel. His suggestion follows a recommendation by the International Energy Association in Paris and is seen as a quick way to cut energy consumption in response to depleted oil reserves.

“If in Germany cars are speeding at 200kph (124mph) they are using too much petrol,” said Piebalgs. He was speaking at a meeting in Germany, where motorists enjoy the only speed-limit-free roads in the EU.

A comment on the website of Der Spiegel, the German news magazine, said: “With those speed limits we would be castrated.”

Piebalgs’s proposal came as the European economic and social committee, a body that advises the European commission on drawing up new legislation, launched an initiative to create a common European highway code. Its aim is to remove the wide variations in road regulations of member states.

The committee said that in Portugal it is illegal to drive with daytime lights while in northern and eastern Europe lights cannot be switched off. Critics point out the contrasting weather conditions in Scandinavia and Portugal.

The committee wants a commission white paper, with legislation to follow.
:eek:

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
That's honky, but I have doubts that the Germans will give up their autobahns. Plus, although I'm sure some EU countries don't have good training for their drivers, German's process to get thier license is very difficult and they train their drivers not to be morons.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
xtremesc2 said:
wont surprise me if they end up getting rid of it.......lets not forget, hitlers the one that created it, lol.
Yeah, and General Eisenhower was so impressed, he pushed the creation of the Interstate highway sytem we have while he was president from '52 to '60. It was built to a standard of grades and curves that would permit military convoys to move at 75 mph... also, there is a one mile stretch of straight, level road within every five mile segment of interstate, free of overpasses and any other obstructions. This was designed to permit the use of the interstate highway system as emergency landing strips. We were, after all, in the midst of the Cold War, and the Soviets had the A-bomb, the H-bomb and the largest standing army at that point in time.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
jmichna said:
Yeah, and General Eisenhower was so impressed, he pushed the creation of the Interstate highway sytem we have while he was president from '52 to '60. It was built to a standard of grades and curves that would permit military convoys to move at 75 mph... also, there is a one mile stretch of straight, level road within every five mile segment of interstate, free of overpasses and any other obstructions. This was designed to permit the use of the interstate highway system as emergency landing strips. We were, after all, in the midst of the Cold War, and the Soviets had the A-bomb, the H-bomb and the largest standing army at that point in time.

very impressive, another resident history buff, i take it?

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
jmichna said:
I must say, I did not know that. Very interesting in deed.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
xtremesc2 said:
very impressive, another resident history buff, i take it?
When you are as old as I am, you've lived a lot of that "history." ;)

But, seriously, yes I am interested in history. "He who ignores the past is doomed to repeat it."

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
why, how old are u? i thought i was talking with a fellow history student, haha (im a major in history and poli sci)

but yes, history is one of the most important things we can learn.....algebra? cmon! haha

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
xtremesc2 said:
why, how old are u? i thought i was talking with a fellow history student, haha (im a major in history and poli sci)

but yes, history is one of the most important things we can learn.....algebra? cmon! haha
Well, I was exagerating a bit... I'll be 53 in July.

I majored in the hard sciences: B.Sc. in Biological Sciences and double minored in Chemistry and Physics (U of I, '74), but I always had a soft spot for History and Medieval & Renaissance Lit... even Calculus.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
wow, im certainly not a math guy, hence the reason im into words, haha.

yeah, im a major in history with dual minors in poli sci. and holocaust studies.....im enjoying it, as tough as it is. hopefully ill be prepared for grad school.

what are you doing with your degree if u dont mind me asking, you seem to have excellent credentials.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
xtremesc2 said:
wow, im certainly not a math guy, hence the reason im into words, haha.

yeah, im a major in history with dual minors in poli sci. and holocaust studies.....im enjoying it, as tough as it is. hopefully ill be prepared for grad school.

what are you doing with your degree if u dont mind me asking, you seem to have excellent credentials.
When I graduated in '74, I got a job with Fel-Pro (pretty well known gasket manufacturer, especially in the performance and aftermarket) working in the Materials Development Lab... started as a lab tech, worked my way to chemist, sr chemist, lab supervisor, technology coordinator... while in the Lab I did a considerable amount of work developing asbestos-free gasket material replacements, plus I handled compliance with Federal OSHA and EPA regs. About 8 years ago, I was asked to join an advanced engineering team, and from there I became part of engineering IT. Oh yeah, back in '98 Fel-Pro was bought by Federal-Mogul (another long time auto industry supplier) so I'm now an employee of F-M. Celebrated 31 years with the same company back in April. I also held position of Chairman for the ASTM F3 Committee on Gaskets for two terms, and am still somewhat active with ASTM.

Back to you... if you are serious about grad school, do it straight after getting your BSc... it is really hard to go back to school after being away for a length of time... your study habits get unlearned, life has more distractions, and your focus changes... sometimes people never get back into it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
xtremesc2 said:
sounds like you've done pretty well for yourself
Thanks, I've been fortunate to have come across some great mentors and managers during my run, life has been good so far.
xtremesc2 said:
thanks for the advice, thats what ive been hearing, i think thats what ill do.....if i decide to go, not entirely sure yet if thats what i wanna do.
I guess the question I would ask myself is: "What advantage will grad school have for my area of interest and future employment?"

Good luck with your decision! It's a big one. :eek:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dominik said:
Heard nothing about it until yet.

And I live in Germany.
Can´t belive it. :mad: :mad: :mad:
Dominik,
I'm surprised your local newspapers haven't mentioned it. Is EU news not normally a big deal in Germany?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.