Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i made 2 to start I can actually make them fit flush to the T/B if i made anymore. I cut the first 2 a little short cause well they were the experimental ones. Here are some pics one is painted silver the other is just the metal piece on my car.

Any Interest?

I can send just the pipe itself no clamps and unpainted for $55 shipped.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks ok, but I just ordered the freakin $220 aem short ram and I had to pay up front because it was a special order.

·
Registered
141 Posts
why would u pay 220 for a short ram whne u can get a cold air from k&n for 229.99?

·
Registered
74 Posts
fenderdan412 said:
why would u pay 220 for a short ram whne u can get a cold air from k&n for 229.99?

what! they said it was $285

·
Registered
74 Posts
anyway, I guess I'm really worried about hydrolock. I've seen at least 5 ions come in with that problem from the aem cold air. In florida, our thunder storms are so crazy that it showers 2-3" in about 20min and we get all kinds of flooded streets all over, just the other day I barrelled through a deep one and thought, good thing I'm getting the short ram. oh well, whats the diff any way, like 5-10 hp, I'll take the peace of mind, maybe if I lived back in Cali I would get the CAI

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THE AEM Short Ram is just what i have made here it uses the factory air box still. If you used my straght pipe and the K&N replacement filter you would be getting the same performance of the AEM intake.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
the aem should have been no more than 150-170 at the most. sorry man

·
Registered
118 Posts
korax123 said:
THE AEM Short Ram is just what i have made here it uses the factory air box still. If you used my straght pipe and the K&N replacement filter you would be getting the same performance of the AEM intake.
no you wont, you will get some more power yes, but not nearly like the aem. you all so will need to drill out the factory air box to get the max power out of that set up. :D

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Raven said:
is there any cutting required or is it a direct replacement? any dyno
Direct Replacement. All you do is take off the rubber elbow and put this one on. No dyno yet leaving the factory filter in with my elbow on is only like a 2hp increase because the air flows through the metal better then the rubber. But thats why i recommend the K&N replacement filter E-0774. You would get the same or better numbers you get with the AEM intake.

The $55 dollar price does not include the clamps or it being painted with those 2 options its $85.

If anyone wants one PM me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
korax123 said:

yeah, I mean I thought of doing the K&N conversion with the high flow filter on the stock air piping, but I wanted to be able to r&r and still have my stock airbox if for any reason I wanted to reinstall the stock parts. Yeah, the aem should have been $50 bucks less.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SCAP said:
no you wont, you will get some more power yes, but not nearly like the aem. you all so will need to drill out the factory air box to get the max power out of that set up. :D
It's the same thing as AEM's setup...and if the factory box is cut out you get heat soak from the transmission. Have you seen the AEM intake on a redline yet???? It's exactly what I made a metal elbow.

·
Registered
118 Posts
korax123 said:
It's the same thing as AEM's setup...and if the factory box is cut out you get heat soak from the transmission. Have you seen the AEM intake on a redline yet???? It's exactly what I made a metal elbow.
sorry no just the KN. i have drilled out many stock boxes, a little hotter air is better then restricted air flow. thats only me

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SCAP said:
sorry no just the KN. i have drilled out many stock boxes, a little hotter air is better then restricted air flow. thats only me
Yea but when the temps go from say your intake temp is 110 degrees with the factory box still in. Then with it removed the temp jumps to 135 or so even though your sucking in more air its to hot and your actually losing HP.

And im guessing the jump in temp is higher then 25 degrees. You ever touch your transmission after driving 30min in 85-90 weather it's to hot to touch and if your filter is sitting right next to it all your doing is sucking the heat off it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
korax123 said:
Yea but when the temps go from say your intake temp is 110 degrees with the factory box still in. Then with it removed the temp jumps to 135 or so even though your sucking in more air its to hot and your actually losing HP.

And im guessing the jump in temp is higher then 25 degrees. You ever touch your transmission after driving 30min in 85-90 weather it's to hot to touch and if your filter is sitting right next to it all your doing is sucking the heat off it.

True, but that shit sounds tight with the high flow filter!!! Plus, now that my intercooler works to its full potential that should help a little. I'm not trying to knock on your design, that shit is the best looking personal mod I've seen made with our intakes, its just that I wanted to keep my stock parts intact. I would have done what you did if I couldn't afford to buy the AEM or if they still hadn't released it yet, I was getting pretty damn impatient.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I already have a high flow filter in mind to use. I just have to order it. Then I would have to charge about $155-165 for the set-up w/filter.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts