Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my neighbors best friend. They are both cool guys and I go have some beers with them now and then. His buddy though, wouldn't understand why I was always washing my car and babying it. He was like, "it's a Saturn".

He drives a MazdaSpeed Protege that is turbo'd from the factory. My neighbor told me he was always saying how he could probably take me in his car and John would tell him, "I don't think so man, that thing pulls pretty hard and can't you hear the charger winding up?" And he'd always reply, "It's a Saturn man, C'mon."

Well, as fate would have it, guess who I meet up with at a light last night with about a two mile stretch of straight road in front of us. Yep, the MazdaSpeed Protege. He looks over at me and smiles in a sort of evil way. I nod back and wait for the light.

When it turns green I started spinning tires and a little bit of hopping at which time he gets about a nose on me. Once I get that under control, I left him like he was standing still. I even waited for him to catch up and raced him from a roll. Same shit.

My neighbor tells me this morning that his friend called him last night and said, "Damn man, you weren't lying. That Saturn pulls fucking hard! I definitely have to give it props now."

YES, another believer and some much needed Redline respect earned. For the record, he is a cool guy and all the shit talking was in good fun. Now I have something good to talk about next time I have a beer with them.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Nice Job. Hopefully I will earn some tonight too. I think I'm going to go cause some greif for the ricers around here. Just me, my cd's and my trust pepsi. Ahhhhh. Anyway, very nice. When I read these kill posts it gives me a better idea of when I am going to win and when I am not.

BTW I got smoked by a crossfire the other day.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have fun tonight but most of all.....be careful.

I've been curious about the Crossfire. Was it the SRT-6 or the standard Crossfire model?

·
Registered
487 Posts
no offense, but he must be prety stock, those things take well to some extra boost

polley how did ya get killed by a crossfire? they are kinda slow I thought?!

I got smoked by a G35 today, it was a funy little merging mishap

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
yeah, but about 25% of cars that will streetrace are stock

I was merely trying to imply that they take very well to little modification,m kinda like redlines

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
haunter said:
yeah, but about 25% of cars that will streetrace are stock
Are you kidding? Come on now. 25%? That's a little low bro, I watch people with temp tags on Civics racing up and down the street all day. There's a gathering every Thursday by the Starbucks that I used to work at and by their own admission over 75% of the cars had nothing more than and exhaust or an intake. Body kits galore though.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
487 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Are you kidding? Come on now. 25%? That's a little low bro, I watch people with temp tags on Civics racing up and down the street all day. There's a gathering every Thursday by the Starbucks that I used to work at and by their own admission over 75% of the cars had nothing more than and exhaust or an intake. Body kits galore though.

exhaust and intake = not stock pal ;)

maybe its different around here, but besides silly ricers and some f-bodys/stangs, everyone that messes with racing is not stock

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sp00ner said:
90% of cars are stock, look at the Redline he was racing the Mazda in, bone stock too.

Well, not "bone" stock. I have the entire exhaust system up to 2.5" and a Magnaflow. Plus, I have the stock airbox removed and a K&N.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haunter said:
no offense, but he must be prety stock, those things take well to some extra boost

polley how did ya get killed by a crossfire? they are kinda slow I thought?!

I got smoked by a G35 today, it was a funy little merging mishap

Yeah, he was completely stock. It's got a small turbo on it pushing like 8 lbs of boost or something. My neighbor said it was like 160 HP or something like that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The mazdaspeed protege's arent exactly powerful, they are around 170 horse and like 130 torque I believe, he wasnt running low boost thats how they come from the factory. As for a redline beating it, it should not have too much of a problem. The protege's arent fast until modded slightly.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
EvenStar said:
The mazdaspeed protege's arent exactly powerful, they are around 170 horse and like 130 torque I believe, he wasnt running low boost thats how they come from the factory. As for a redline beating it, it should not have too much of a problem. The protege's arent fast until modded slightly.

Yeah, I know. They have a small turbo on them from factory I believe.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
haunter said:
exhaust and intake = not stock pal ;)

maybe its different around here, but besides silly ricers and some f-bodys/stangs, everyone that messes with racing is not stock

That would be suprising, seeing as how you're 2 hours from me, and I know alot of people that go to school there, but it's possible. Also, a 6hp intake setup is not considered to be 'modded' in my opinion. I come from musclecars, where 'suped up' actually means something. I wouldn't even consider my Vette to be 'modded' with an intake manifold, headers, and a dual exhaust. I guess I should, but to me, modded means something signifigant, not just an intake and window tint. I know, I know, technically it is, but I like to see a REAL increase in power, 25% or so, before I start to think anything of it. 6hp on a dragstrip is hardly noticable.

Also, from what I remember of that area, you're getting into the country, and country folk don't mess around with racing. The folks down in Florida were the same way, if you called your car 'fast' or 'suped up', it sure as hell better smoke both tires and almost do a wheelstand, or you were full of shit. We used to do 1/4 mile runs in an abandoned subdivision where people would trailer out 10 second Nova's and shit. If you said your car was set up to race, the cash came out, the car came off the trailer and you had to put your money where your mouth was...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
You know what, I have no idea what model Crossfire it was. It looked new and I didn't look to see if he had a dealer or manufacturer plate. He could have. This was only 10 miles away from Diamler Chrystler HQ. So maybe it was a SRT-6. I don't know. All I know is that he just got up and went bye bye. I could barely keep up. But then again I don't like going over 60mph in a 45 Zone for more than a few seconds. It's just not worth the ticket. I enjoy the perks of a flawless driving record. I had alot of days off in court and pulled alot of favors to keep it that way. I only pay $120 a month for full coverage.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dazednconfused75 said:
Mazdaspeed Protege's aren't exactly speed demons, I toasted one with my mostly stock SVT Focus a few months ago.

Yeah, I know. The whole point of the thread was not to brag about beating the MS Protege but rather that someone who thought that all Saturns were just slow pieces of shit has now expirienced first hand otherwise.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
JPK said:
Yeah, I know. The whole point of the thread was not to brag about beating the MS Protege but rather that someone who thought that all Saturns were just slow pieces of shit has now expirienced first hand otherwise.

Gee thanks for insightful explanation of the obvious.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts