Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i got start off saying i dont own a redline yet, lol i know probably a million kid saying there gonna get one. Just saving up money now for a down payment and some psi-fi goodies. Anyway i was drivin to work the like 2 weeks ago an caught a veiw of a redline front end. It looked nice crusing with the parking lights on. :) I was goin down davisburg rd in davisburg mi , close to the saturn or clarkston. i pulled into the party store on the corner of davisburg rd and dixie a saw that the redline had the comp package wheels on it. didnt see if it had the fogs, just wondering if anyone else saw that redline around clarkston? it was black with a low wing .

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I'm sure there could be a test mule or two out there... who knows...

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Sp00ner said:
I'm sure there could be a test mule or two out there... who knows...
No there's not. My dad works for Saturn Corp. in Spring Hill. He said they haven't produced a single Competition Package car yet.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Well that's funny, since the Cobalt SS has been produced with the same exact options set, prepped, and shipped off for a magazine testing session. Yet, no one can buy those either. If you don't think that Saturn has at least one Comp Package Redline for testing and evaluation purposes, I've got some land to sell you in Florida, cheap. We've seen pictures of the Redline with the Comp Package already, dosen't mean that there is more than one or two, but test cars are produced months before the production one.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Well that's funny, since the Cobalt SS has been produced with the same exact options set, prepped, and shipped off for a magazine testing session. Yet, no one can buy those either. If you don't think that Saturn has at least one Comp Package Redline for testing and evaluation purposes, I've got some land to sell you in Florida, cheap. We've seen pictures of the Redline with the Comp Package already, dosen't mean that there is more than one or two, but test cars are produced months before the production one.
I'm well arare of that. I'm sure there is a couple cars used for testing and photoshoot purposes, but chances are very slim that you will see them on public roads.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
matt said:
I'm well arare of that. I'm sure there is a couple cars used for testing and photoshoot purposes, but chances are very slim that you will see them on public roads.
So you're saying, that he COULD have seen one? Which is exactly what is said... I MIGHT have seen....

It's not that uncommon to see a test mule, particulary if you live anywhere near Detroit, where the Comp. Package Redlines and Cobalts would be developed, not in Spring Hill. That's where the GM Performance Division would be, that's where they would be testing them more extensivley. I'm actually reading an article where they ran the Solstice test mules around England for about 6 hours, through towns, etc. How many people do you think saw it? Few thousand? If you look in the back of any car mag, there's 5-6 pictures every month of test mules that get spotted.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I doubt there's a Competition Package RL driving around Clarkston. It might be a dealer modified ION, not necessarily a RL. I know that when I bought my RL from Clarkston there, they had a black ION QC in the showroom called the 'Stealth ION.' The dealer modified, I can't remember exactly everything that was done to it, but I think it had the RL rims, big Aero wing, and tint. It wasn't a RL though, just a regular modified ION. This could have very well been another dealer modified ION that wannaredline saw with different rims and what not on it.
Now if he was nearer to Warren, MI (about a half hour from Clarkston) where the GM Technical center is, there is a better chance it was a Comp. Package RL since there are always cars driving in there and around there way before they're actually released and mass produced. If it was a RL Comp. Package in Clarkston, it may have come from Milford (GM's Proving Grounds) and traveling to dealerships to educate them about the package, or something along those lines. Quite a few possibilites of what he saw...just my input for the situation.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
matt said:
No there's not. My dad works for Saturn Corp. in Spring Hill. He said they haven't produced a single Competition Package car yet.
Will you be able to tell us precisely when the first Comp. Package rolls off the line so we all know when to start expecting to see them in dealership?? :D

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Sp00ner said:
So you're saying, that he COULD have seen one? Which is exactly what is said... I MIGHT have seen....

It's not that uncommon to see a test mule, particulary if you live anywhere near Detroit,
That's a nice "perk" off living here. I saw a new Z06 on the road a few weeks ago and today I saw a Cherokee SRT-8 pulling out of Chrysler headquarters.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah, that'd be cool (telling us when the first comp. package rolls off the line). I've had my order for my Comp. Package '05 in for ~2 weeks now. I wonder if i was in earlier enough to be the first RL, or if others have orders in. Hopefully they'll make mine pretty quick after they start the line back up (may 1st according to my dealer).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sp00ner said:
I saw a Cobalt SS at the Chev dealer in town today....(Lethbridge, Ab)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
jmonte345 said:
That's a nice "perk" off living here. I saw a new Z06 on the road a few weeks ago and today I saw a Cherokee SRT-8 pulling out of Chrysler headquarters.
I've also seen the SRT-8 Cherokees a couple of times last fall. Also, during my internship last summer with GM, I saw a pair of the new white Z06's (but at the time I didn't realize they were Z-0s). I was just used to seeing the new C6's everywhere on the Warren lot. I had a sneaky suspicion about these pair of C6s when I saw them though, because they had a weird plain white paint, different rims, and bigger tires. I didn't really notice any differences with the body style (no hood scoops or anything). But my suspicions were met when I saw 'spy' photos of the same pair of white Z-0s a month later online. Thought this was pretty neat so I felt like sharing. Those weren't the only neat things I saw last summer either ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
jpapa said:
I doubt there's a Competition Package RL driving around Clarkston. It might be a dealer modified ION, not necessarily a RL. I know that when I bought my RL from Clarkston there, they had a black ION QC in the showroom called the 'Stealth ION.' The dealer modified, I can't remember exactly everything that was done to it, but I think it had the RL rims, big Aero wing, and tint. It wasn't a RL though, just a regular modified ION. This could have very well been another dealer modified ION that wannaredline saw with different rims and what not on it.
Now if he was nearer to Warren, MI (about a half hour from Clarkston) where the GM Technical center is, there is a better chance it was a Comp. Package RL since there are always cars driving in there and around there way before they're actually released and mass produced. If it was a RL Comp. Package in Clarkston, it may have come from Milford (GM's Proving Grounds) and traveling to dealerships to educate them about the package, or something along those lines. Quite a few possibilites of what he saw...just my input for the situation.
Doubt it had the Red Line rims. Red Line rims are 5x110 the Regular ION rims are 4x100 I believe.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Even if you saw a Comp. Package car, you would not be able to tell in mule form. Most of the early mules were simply converted Ion's...so you'd have no idea what it is. The cars that the magazines tested were assebled separately and not on the production line. Rest assured you will see LSD's soon. The boost gauge is pretty neat too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts