Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to change my transmission fluid to a true performance synthetic because I feel it deserves better. Its just not as smooth as I think it should be for a SAAB F35 tranny.

Couple of questions...

1) Me being lazy and not checking the manual, does anybody recall what type of tranny fluid our RedLine's use? ie. brake fluid, synthetic...etc.

2) What would anyone recommend as a replacment fluid?

I have seen really good results with Royal Purple amonst the musle car world.
I use to use RedLine in my Type R back in the day and it was fine.

Any feed back is appriciated... cheers!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
CalgaryRedLine said:
Im going to change my transmission fluid to a true performance synthetic because I feel it deserves better. Its just not as smooth as I think it should be for a SAAB F35 tranny.

Couple of questions...

1) Me being lazy and not checking the manual, does anybody recall what type of tranny fluid our RedLine's use? ie. brake fluid, synthetic...etc.

2) What would anyone recommend as a replacment fluid?

I have seen really good results with Royal Purple amonst the musle car world.
I use to use RedLine in my Type R back in the day and it was fine.

Any feed back is appriciated... cheers!
I would recommend Saturn synthetic transmission lubricant PN#21018899 :D
(as recommended by you owners manual) It IS a performance synthetic, but then you'd figure that out when you went to $pay for it. :p BTW, it's a great replacement for the Dexron III used in Getrag found the the "other" IONs
JMO
WOT

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
HUH??? Manual fluid is nothing near Dextron. Most Saab manuals use a 30/40 weight style oil. You put that crap in your box and will screw it up bigtime. Check with Saturn on the correct fluid.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Dallas said:
HUH??? Manual fluid is nothing near Dextron. Most Saab manuals use a 30/40 weight style oil. You put that crap in your box and will screw it up bigtime. Check with Saturn on the correct fluid.
I wouldn't cross WOP...he has the ability to do super-duper secret saturn spy stuff to your car. ;)

But seriously, If WOP just suggested whatever it was he suggested as a replacement, wouldn't that fluid already be in our RL transmissions?

A good time to do this would be when I send the car in to swap clutches, huh?

·
Registered
754 Posts
WOP is a guru when it comes to the rl take his word for it he knows.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Dallas said:
I suggest you read my initial response again... slowly
a) I advised the poster to use only the synthetic fluid that all F35s get as factory fill - I.E. THE F35 TRANSAXLE DOES NOT USE "REGULAR" GEAR OIL OR (DEXRON FOR THAT MATTER) -IT USES A SPECIAL SYNTHETIC!

The premise was the original poster suggested it might be a good idea to "switch" to synthetic when in fact the fluid IN the Saab transaxle already is (PN#21018899 as suggested by your owners manual)

b) My comments referring to "Dexron" which IS By the way, the factory fill for the Getrag F23 (used in the "regular" 2.2/2.4 ION) -was merely that the PN#21018899 is generally a great replacement for the Dexron (as numerous J-bodies can attest)

Wop

·
Moderator Kitteh!
11,564 Posts
^^^^

lol, you gotta love this guy

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
WopOnTour said:
I would recommend Saturn synthetic transmission lubricant PN#21018899 :D
(as recommended by you owners manual) It IS a performance synthetic, but then you'd figure that out when you went to $pay for it. :p BTW, it's a great replacement for the Dexron III used in Getrag found the the "other" IONs
JMO
WOT
Is the Saturn synthetic the same as Mobil1 transmission fluid in a different container and higher price?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
matt said:
Is the Saturn synthetic the same as Mobil1 transmission fluid in a different container and higher price?
I've never heard THAT- but it's possible I guess. I've actually heard the Saturn #PN is actually just a "semi- synthetic" or blend but I've never really looked very deep into it. Great fluid though- the Getrags REALLY respond to it. It was originally used in the L-series 5 speeds that is IDENTICAL to the Redline trans (other than having a 4.45 final drive ratio compared to the Redline 4.05)
Wop

PS> Here's the original TSB recommending switching the Getrag (ie NOT the FGP/Saab :p ) to the Saturn Fluid from the Dexron. The FGP/Saab of course already uses it. LOL, did I say that already...

Attachments

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
WopOnTour said:
I've never heard THAT- but it's possible I guess. I've actually heard the Saturn #PN is actually just a "semi- synthetic" or blend but I've never really looked very deep into it. Great fluid though- the Getrags REALLY respond to it. It was originally used in the L-series 5 speeds that is IDENTICAL to the Redline trans (other than having a 4.45 final drive ratio compared to the Redline 4.05)
Wop

PS> Here's the original TSB recommending switching the Getrag (ie NOT the FGP/Saab :p ) to the Saturn Fluid from the Dexron. The FGP/Saab of course already uses it. LOL, did I say that already...
LoL yeah I think the 17.00 a quart tells us that the satty fluid it prolly good stuff. good thing the tranny holds less then 2 quarts huh.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
so, any1 got a walk through they could post so i can swap my drivetrain fluids? :)

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
pretty simple. there are two allen key holes on the trans both on the drivers side. take off front driver's side wheel, look right to the transmission and you should see one---that's the fill hole. next go under and in kinda the same location on the same side of the trans right up against the subframe there is another allen key hole and that's the drain. it's kinda in a tight spot you're gonna need the right size allen wrench. it takes 1.7qts I believe.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
clutch and diff?

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
clutch fluid is dot3 or 4 brake fluid, completely different. the dif fluid I believe is either indefinitely sealed or just the transmission fluid

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
yea, i found this out today. :)
drained and flushed (kinda) today, and the fluid was only 6.13 a qt! WEWT! XD

·
Registered
347 Posts
b) My comments referring to "Dexron" which IS By the way, the factory fill for the Getrag F23 (used in the "regular" 2.2/2.4 ION) -was merely that the PN#21018899 is generally a great replacement for the Dexron (as numerous J-bodies can attest)

Wop

it has been a while since i did the fluid in my 2.2L J-body but i remeber it being called syncromesh or something of the sort.....is that the same stuff that the ION is using?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts